UKC

Climbing pants for indoor walls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mattyblue 31 Jan 2017
Hi

Im looking for peoples opinions on what they wear to climb in indoor walls. Im looking to invest in new gear and any pointers would be much apreciated.
 guy127917 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

Mammut Realisation pants are the only option.
 galpinos 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

Prana mojo shorts in whatever colour was in the last sale.
 Alex Riley 31 Jan 2017
In reply to galpinos:
Primark stretchy jeans or boardshorts
Post edited at 15:54
 johncook 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

Troll omnis. Reasonable price, allow for my very flexible legs and hips without encroaching on my nethers at all. They last forever, are great for outdoors climbing, including esoteric limestone with nettles, brambles and wild roses to complement the ants, wasps and bees. Can be bought in dull greys or black through to bright red, yellow and blue. I am currently hoping they will make me a pair that have all the bright colours in them, but if not I will stick to single bright.

Avoid the current trend for tights unless you can fill them spectacularly. Shorts and climbing harnesses just look wrong as the shorts bunch up around the crotch.

Should really say, wear whatever you can climb comfortably in, whether it be expensive 'designer' branded stuff, or cheap TKMAX stuff. The choice is your
 GrahamD 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

Anything on the sale rail at GO outdoors works for me (indoors or out). Better things to spend money on IMO
 Neil Williams 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

Cheap tracky bottoms from Tesco and a T-shirt have always done the job for me. Nothing technical required at all.
 beefy_legacy 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

I've heard of taking your top off but this is ridiculous.
 MrJared 31 Jan 2017
 kathrync 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

For indoors, whatever is available cheap in TKMAX and comfy. I often end up with stuff marketed for yoga - doesn't matter, it gives me full range of movement and I don't need them to be technical beyond that. My main criteria is that I can see my feet (I have really tiny feet and if trousers are too baggy I can't see where I am putting them - I don't think this is an issue for most people).
In reply to Mattyblue:

Go cheap, there really is no need to wear sexy branded softshell trousers at the wall. Boardshorts or a cheap pair are absolutely fine.
 JEF 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

I got a pair of "rhinowork" trousers at Tesco, £18.
 HappyTrundler 31 Jan 2017
In reply to MrJared:
By far the most sensible answer, exactly what the question deserves !!...
Post edited at 16:53
 spartacus 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:
As others have indicated 'pants' is a shite American word. I assume 'climbing trousers' is what was intended.

Personally I like to climb indoors in a thong.
 The Lemming 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

RonHills

Only the best will do.
 Timmd 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:
Go to a general sports shop and try a few pairs of trousers on?

Going up a bit in size can make none gusseted-crotch trousers more spacious and flexibility allowing.
Post edited at 18:07
In reply to The Lemming:
Must be Ron Hills - keep on running Ron.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-38810882
 Si dH 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

Don't really understand why you'd wear anything different from what you wear for bouldering or sport climbing outside. So, moon cyphers or similar. I'd never bother buying anything specific for indoors.
 Robert Durran 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Si dH:

> I'd never bother buying anything specific for indoors.

I'd never bother buying anything specific for outdoors.
In reply to Mattyblue:

Back at my Craggy 2 days the instructors used to tell new climbers etc to wear right trousers or shorts.

Sav
 bpmclimb 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

Marmot Mono Pants. Loose fit and a bit stretchy too, cool, mostly cotton (I think). I got several pairs very cheap a year ago, and now seem to be wearing a pair most of the time: indoor/outdoor climbing, running, yoga classes, walking, lounging around the house .....
 Bobling 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

Arghhhh! Trousers, trousers, TROUSERS!

*bows head before the inexorable advance of American cultural identity*
 The Lemming 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

Beyond rock shoes, chalk-bags and mats, what other gear is needed?

Personally I'm still of the opinion that bouldering should be done with carpet offcuts and beermats to wipe your shoes with before starting a route.
 Martin Hore 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

Ron Hills are great.

Martin
 tjin 01 Feb 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

I have some ex army trousers I got for free over a decade ago. Shortend them to a 2/3 length so they still protect my knees from abrasion.

Who really cares what you wear. As long as you have enough freedom of motion.
 Hyphin 01 Feb 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

Really shouldn't be climbing in your pants, outdoors at a very quiet crag OK but not indoors. Get yer fecking trousers on.
 Roland.Online 01 Feb 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

I really like Ayacucho Grunos (sold in UK by Cotswold), they have a zip-off version, so usefully double-up as shorts for warmer days. They're lightweight and very comfortable.

They're boring grey (why is men's clothing sooooo boring), but I grabbed a couple of boxes of Dylon fabric dye, and despite them being cotton/poly mix, took the dye really well, so I now have a bright orange pair and a bright green pair.

On the plus side, you're also supporting the work that Ayacucho/Solid are doing in Peru.

Cheers
Roland
 Timmd 01 Feb 2017
In reply to Roland.Online:

That's a good shout.
In reply to Mattyblue:

I wear either some needle sports Ron Hill copies that were £11 in 1997ish or some times some slightly stretchy walking trousers.

My some wears sports direct shorts or if its cold some second hand trousers he bought from a charity shop to use as part of Jarvis Cocker. I think he sowed them up a bitto make then look like loons.

But the point is avoid tight restrictive jeans but any money you spend over £2 is so that you don't look like you've just been to a charity shop, rather than to make you a better climber
 Yanis Nayu 05 Feb 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

I just wear the same boxers I wear for everything else.
 Climbthatpitch 05 Feb 2017
In reply to MrJared:

Are they the things my wife keeps telling me to buy

I always thought commando was the only way.

Don't think this would go down to well at the local wall tho
 Timmd 05 Feb 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:
'Feeling cool' needn't be a bad thing I guess. If you like Prana trousers they're organic cotton and have a gusseted crotch to aid in high leg movements, and look un-shabby enough to wear in other circumstances which could justify the money spent .

I seem to manage in the cotton Howies trousers I wear in everyday life, having said that, it seems they're baggy enough to not need a gusseted crotch, making that not an essential thing to have.
Post edited at 13:40
 Rich Ellis 06 Feb 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

I use winter weight running trousers from Decathlon for around £13 .
Great unless it's really hot ( shorts available too ) indoors and out .
Stretchy and comfy and dry fast .
Available in any colour you like as long as it's black .
 mattrm 06 Feb 2017
In reply to Mattyblue:

Cheap jogging bottoms and a random selection of t-shirts and baselayers, what ever is to hand really.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...