UKC

Crampons for Scarpa Phantom Guides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jezzah 01 Feb 2017
Hi all,

Thinking of getting a new pair of crampons to fit my Phantom Guides- any thoughts? They will be used for Scottish Winter, Mixed routes and alpine summer... basically a bit of everything and they are going to replace an old pair of Grivel G12s.

Thanks for the advice
Jez
 chris687 01 Feb 2017
In reply to jezzah:

I use the petzl sarkens and the BD stingers. Both fit well and I've never had issues with either
 richgac 02 Feb 2017
In reply to jezzah:

BD Stingers don't fit Phantom Guides particularly well, the bail is quite wide compared to the narrow toe welt. They've never looked like falling off my boots but they do shift from side to side a bit. My old Petzl Darts were much more snug.
 CurlyStevo 02 Feb 2017
In reply to gache:

You can buy narrow bails quite cheaply
 richgac 02 Feb 2017
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Where from?
 Si Withington 02 Feb 2017
In reply to jezzah:
Petzl Lynx are a perfect fit with no mods. You'll have a similar experience with Darts etc.
Post edited at 21:14
 Slarti B 02 Feb 2017
In reply to jezzah:

I have Petzl Lynx for ice climbing and they fit really well on my Phantom Guides.

To replace Grivel G12's maybe you would be better off with Sarken or Vasal which have same bindings.
 richgac 03 Feb 2017
In reply to CurlyStevo:

thanks!

sorry to the OP for the brief thread hijack but my warning against Stingers no longer need apply...
OP jezzah 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Slarti B:

I guess it's going to be a pair of Lynxs then

Cheers
Jez
 Gazlynn 03 Feb 2017
In reply to jezzah:

Even the Black diamond narrow bails don't fit well imho.

cheers

Gaz
 planetmarshall 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Gazlynn:

The Stingers come with narrow bails, unless they're first generation. I agree that they don't fit particularly well either - I changed them for Grivel ones. I may try and get some Petzl spares to try those.
 neuromancer 04 Feb 2017
In reply to jezzah:

All I can say is whilst I love my snaggletooths, they are a terrible fit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...