UKC

White Paper On Brexit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 01 Feb 2017
Erm am I alone in thinking this white paper thats due to be published tomorrow is a little late given the vote on the Brexit bill is tonight?

Isn't that like only reading a contract after signing it?

Maarten2 01 Feb 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Yes, it is.
OP balmybaldwin 01 Feb 2017

I'm guessing there's no cooling off period?
 Wicamoi 02 Feb 2017

Indeed it is. Not that it would have made any difference: our MPs are scared of us - especially the "leave" half of us - probably because we've given them good reason to be. I would be very interested to see a comparison of how they all voted in the referendum and how they just voted on Article 50.
Jim C 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Wicamoi:

> Indeed it is. Not that it would have made any difference: our MPs are scared of us - especially the "leave" half of us - probably because we've given them good reason to be. I would be very interested to see a comparison of how they all voted in the referendum and how they just voted on Article 50.

I believe the remainer MPs voted for , but holding their noses as they did so.
(Maybe they did not like the smell of their leaver constituents. )
 wbo 02 Feb 2017
what would you do if you were an mp who'd voted remain, your constiuency had voted remain? Not an easy question for a representative democracy

But not so bad as if you'd voted remain and your constiuency had narrowly voted leave.
Post edited at 06:13
 The New NickB 02 Feb 2017
In reply to wbo:

> what would you do if you were an mp who'd voted remain, your constiuency had voted remain? Not an easy question for a representative democracy

That is an easy one, you vote remain, as it is your personal view and the will of the people you represent.

> But not so bad as if you'd voted remain and your constiuency had narrowly voted leave.

RyanOsborne 02 Feb 2017
> Erm am I alone in thinking this white paper thats due to be published tomorrow is a little late given the vote on the Brexit bill is tonight?

> Isn't that like only reading a contract after signing it?

A bit, although there is a chance for amendments to the bill and a final vote (after the white paper comes out). Labour's amendments are extremely sensible and I really hope they get incorporated, but chances are the tory's will just bulldoze it through 'as is' without a meaningful vote on the brexit deal in parliament at the end of the negotiations. Which seems highly unfair and undemocratic.
Post edited at 08:39
 Martin W 02 Feb 2017
In reply to wbo:

> what would you do if you were an mp who'd voted remain, your constiuency had voted remain?

My MP voted against, contrary to the three-line whip imposed upon him but entirely in line with the sentiment of the sizable majority of his constituents.
In reply to Martin W:

> My MP voted against, contrary to the three-line whip imposed upon him but entirely in line with the sentiment of the sizable majority of his constituents.

Good on him.

My MP voted with the government, bespite being a Remainer and despite his constituency voting remain as well. I guess he knows which side his bread is buttered.

NIEL CARMICHAEL (Con). Shame on you for voting against your conscience and the will of your constituents. I hope it bites you in the arse in 2020 (or before).
In reply to Martin W:

Also, good on Ken Clarke for being the only Tory to have a pair!
 Martin W 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Hugh J:

> Good on him.

Indeed. He has consistently impressed me ever since he won the seat (much to just about everyone's surprise) in 2010. Unfortunately the party he represents is a car-crash - and I wouldn't put it past them to find a way to get rid of him ASAP.
 skog 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Martin W:

Ian Murray?

He does seem decent, and certainly isn't afraid of speaking out - so, yeah, that must make him one of the more likely targets for purging!
pasbury 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Martin W:

Labour presumably? If they decide to punish MPs who defied the whip I'd say they were shooting themselves through the other foot and then both hands.
In reply to Martin W:

> Indeed. He has consistently impressed me ever since he won the seat (much to just about everyone's surprise) in 2010. Unfortunately the party he represents is a car-crash - and I wouldn't put it past them to find a way to get rid of him ASAP.

No, he's simply too senior. He's second in line to being Father of the House, just behind Kaufman.
In reply to pasbury:

> Labour presumably? If they decide to punish MPs who defied the whip I'd say they were shooting themselves through the other foot and then both hands.

Appartently 3 Labour Whips voted against the bill also!
In reply to Hugh J:

Dianne Abbot was unwell ... hope she feels better soon
 FesteringSore 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> Dianne Abbot was unwell ... hope she feels better soon

A newly discovered strain of flu - Brexit flu
OP balmybaldwin 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Hugh J:

Shame also on my MP (once again!) on Jeremy HUNT (Con) for also voting against his constituency
 Toby_W 02 Feb 2017

Is this the white paper that says we've always been a souvereign power?

Cheers

Toby

Mr Lopez 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Toby_W:

> Is this the white paper that says we've always been a souvereign power?

> Cheers

> Toby

You spell it "souvenir"
 Martin W 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> No, he's simply too senior. He's second in line to being Father of the House, just behind Kaufman.

Eh? My MP is a fresh-faced lad in only his second term. Second in line for FotH is the Beast of Bolsover! Either you're mistaken in who you think I mean, or you've completely misunderstood my post - or possibly both...
In reply to Martin W:

> Eh? My MP is a fresh-faced lad in only his second term. Second in line for FotH is the Beast of Bolsover! Either you're mistaken in who you think I mean, or you've completely misunderstood my post - or possibly both...

I did indeed. When you said 'Good on him' (in answer to Hugh J), I thought you were referring to his comment - directly above - 'Good on Ken Clarke'.
Post edited at 11:38
 galpinos 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Hugh J:

On of which was my MP, Jeff Smith. I hadn't been that impressed but this has put him up in my estimation.
 summo 03 Feb 2017
In reply to galpinos:

Regardless of their vote at least most did air their view. Those that didn't attend or vote should be removed from office. There is simply no excuse for not attending the arguably most important parliamentary process for decades.
JPSC 04 Feb 2017
In reply to skog:

> He does seem decent, and certainly isn't afraid of speaking out - so, yeah, that must make him one of the more likely targets for purging!

I'm another constituent of Ian Murray and fully agree with the positive comments about him since his unexpected election in 2010. However, I fear that Momentum won't need to target him, David Cameron has already done that for them:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37704568

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/labour-s-only-seat-to-v...
 Martin W 04 Feb 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> I did indeed. When you said 'Good on him' (in answer to Hugh J), I thought you were referring to his comment - directly above - 'Good on Ken Clarke'.

Ah, OK, that makes sense. I was worried for a minute that one of the most sensible people on UKC had started to lose his marbles!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...