UKC

Winter tent recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rimpiattino 02 Feb 2017
Hi everyone.

I am looking for a two man 4 season tent for camping in Scotland. It will be basically car camping with a walk in of no more than 5 miles. Geodesic tent preferred.

I have seen two advertised at very good prices - a WC Trisar 2D (£125) and an F10 Mtn2 (£200). Both are ex demo stock.

Does anyone have any knowledge or recommendations? Neither of them seem to be reviewed on the net.

TIA
 Timmd 02 Feb 2017
In reply to rimpiattino:
Since they both look like Quasar clones, it could be worth looking into durability/quality reviews for tents from both brands to get a feel for which could be best?

Edit: Not so sure about the clips used in the Force 10 tent having had a look, they could be fine, but something about plastic clips in tents has me wondering if they may break at some point, and how easy it would be to bodge a fix.
Post edited at 17:58
 Timmd 02 Feb 2017
In reply to rimpiattino:

As somebody with a (well made) Quasar, the only issue I can find with it is that the porches are shaped so that care needs to be taken not to let rain/snow/dampness into the inner when entering and exiting, but that's about it.
 Siward 02 Feb 2017
In reply to rimpiattino:

I'd go for the mtn2 if you're genuinely camping in the worst weather; it's a proper 4 pole structure. Force ten tents are pretty good quality and value is my experience.
 Tam O'Bam 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Siward:
£200.00 for this one: https://www.pebble.co.uk/search?adid=iaCkp564xJ%2BZoo6o0qOVmI62yJ9YosyfuZKg...

I got my Mk 5 tent 45 years ago, and it's still going strong! Heavy for hiking, but if you're going to be beside the car, it's hard to beat.

Post edited at 06:45
 Phil1919 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Tam O'Bam:

Yes, I'd agree! As long as you don't have to walk it in anywhere!
 thlcr1 03 Feb 2017
In reply to rimpiattino:

Got a new tent before last winter. Looked at the F10 mtn2, but couldn't get a good price at the time and didn't really want an inner pitching first tent. Ended up getting a Vango Nemesis 200. Very similar shape but outer pitching first and I got one for £150 which seemed very reasonable. Not sure if the standard Vango tents are quite such good quality as the F10's but I've use the Nemesis several times now and no complaints.

Lee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...