UKC

Tax Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
After trying to get through to HMRC without success, can anyone recommend anywhere I can phone/go to for some simple tax advice regading self employment?

It'd be nice to get it for free, and I'm assuming that an accountant would charge me.
 SouthernSteve 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Frank the Husky:
I would find a friendly and efficient accountant. It is worth getting a few tips and hints before starting. When I started out a few years ago it was my accountant who put everything right in terms of recording, VAT, expenses etc and she has been worth every penny.

Of course getting through to HMRC will be easier in a few days as the panic to get returns in before the 31st Jan deadline passes into the distance.
Post edited at 20:08
 Derek Furze 02 Feb 2017

Depends a bit on what sort of thing you are thinking of doing Martin. If you are employing others and are turning over more than the VAT threshold (£82.5k I think this year), then it is a bit more complicated. Less than this and putting together simple returns is really straightforward. I work for myself and my return takes me about an hour each year. What advice do you need? I have done both for proper business and basic self-employment most of my working life and I live just down the road in Disley. Happy to share anytime over a coffee or whatever
It is harder and harder to get anything from HMRC - they have had massive cuts. A far cry from when I started in 1984, when I had an hour with an inspector giving me very helpful suggestions!
Derek
 Andrew Lodge 02 Feb 2017

When I was setting up my business I went and spoke to the preson who has been my accountant ever since, there was no charge for a chat about feasability.
I suspect he views it as a worthwhile investment in terms of attracting new clients.
In reply to Derek Furze:

Hi Derek and thanks for the reply. I'll pm you tomorrow or Saturday with some specifics. If you can help I'll buy you coffee & cake at Lyme Perk!
 Derek Furze 02 Feb 2017

OK. I'm happy to offer any help I can. Let me know your queries and I'll do my best. I'm not that solid on off-shore tax havens...
 Jamie Wakeham 02 Feb 2017
In reply to Derek Furze:

> It is harder and harder to get anything from HMRC - they have had massive cuts.

To be fair, they've always been reasonably easy to get through to and willing to spend time on the phone whenever I've called them between mid February and early January!
 pec 03 Feb 2017

If there's a branch of these near you they do your first visit for free. I had a half hour or so chat with them once and gleaned some useful advice. There was no obligation to use them again and I didn't have to sign up for anything.
http://www.taxassist.co.uk/
 Skyfall 03 Feb 2017

> It'd be nice to get it for free, and I'm assuming that an accountant would charge me.

I'm sure all accountants would do it for free because they're actually charities and not trying to earn a living just like you ..... no?
 Skyfall 03 Feb 2017
In reply to pec:

>I had a half hour or so chat with them once and gleaned some useful advice. There was no obligation to use them again and I didn't have to sign up for anything.

Oh, just taking what can you for free, nice. Like a plumber who installs a tap and you don't actually pay him... I also never charge on first meetings and yet it's generally intended in the spirit of information gathering and a bit of a chat to see how you will get on in the longer term.

On the other hand, met with some people yesterday who, with no formal engagement, asked to pay me on the spot for my initial time. Being equally moral, I refused until we have a formal engagement. Still, it goes a long way towards building a relationship which works on both sides.
Jim C 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Derek Furze:

> OK. I'm happy to offer any help I can. Let me know your queries and I'll do my best. I'm not that solid on off-shore tax havens...

Ok should I call one of the big football clubs for help with off shore tax havens then ?
 krikoman 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Skyfall:

> >I had a half hour or so chat with them once and gleaned some useful advice. There was no obligation to use them again and I didn't have to sign up for anything.

> Oh, just taking what can you for free, nice. Like a plumber who installs a tap and you don't actually pay him... I also never charge on first meetings and yet it's generally intended in the spirit of information gathering and a bit of a chat to see how you will get on in the longer term.

The free chat is part of TaxAssists' advertising, what are you expecting him to do pay when there's no need?

To the OP I'd take PECs' advice I started my business then ended up with them they've been really good and are mid priced accountants who will look after you, well they are in my town

Good luck

pec 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Skyfall:

> Oh, just taking what can you for free, nice. Like a plumber who installs a tap and you don't actually pay him... I also never charge on first meetings and yet it's generally intended in the spirit of information gathering and a bit of a chat to see how you will get on in the longer term. >

It wasn't like I was stealing anything from them. I went in and said I wanted some advice and asked what did they charge. They told me it was a free consultation. In the event I didn't need any further work from them otherwise I'd have paid.
Its built into their pricing structure like a loss leader, if it didn't work for them they wouldn't do it.

1poundSOCKS 03 Feb 2017

> After trying to get through to HMRC without success

I had a lot of trouble getting through to speak to someone recently, it was the speak recognition system that kept failing me , or putting me through to the wrong department (even though I picked the correct number from the website).

Finally realised if I said nothing when prompted, I got a menu where I could say "something else". Then I managed to get through to a friendly and helpful HMRC person from the correct department.
 Offwidth 03 Feb 2017
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I've had that exact same problem. The real person I got in the end was super helpful.
In reply to Skyfall: Yes, I would expect an accountant to do an initial consultation including providing relevant/useful information for free. If they sounded anything like you do in your post with some sort of chip on their shoulder I'd walk away and not use the miserable bugger.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...