UKC

Advice for maintaining leather gloves?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 03 Feb 2017
Any tips for maintaining leather climbing gloves? Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather any good?
 DaveHK 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

I use that or the liquid stuff. Both work. I spent some time rubbing the wax stuff into seams in the hope that it would seal them somewhat.
 Pay Attention 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

I decided to stop using leather gloves, thus avoiding the issue. I now intend to use the argon freezer gloves that cost £6.50 a pair in contrast to the £60 - £80 I've spent in the past on leather gloves. Leather gloves are not as warm, don't fit me so well, and need maintenance that I ought to do but don't have the patience for.
 DaveHK 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Pay Attention:

The argon gloves don't work so well if you have sweaty hands or if they get wet. I'm on the Simond leather ones from decathlon. £25 they were and it's not an exaggeration to say the best I've used although I've never had a proper expensive pair of gloves. Just can't bring myself to drop the cash on something that might last a season.
Rigid Raider 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Wax in a volatile carrier is a good idea, it works for the palms of my ski gloves. Waxoyle is cheaper than Nikwax but you haver to buy quite a lot of it.
 pass and peak 03 Feb 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

You must have long fingers and narrow hands! I bought a pair, to small (across the palms) swapped for the larger size but then fingers to long, pity as you say they were great gloves otherwise! Only gloves that fit me are Black Diamond, must have American hands I Guess!
 vscott 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:
Along with proofing find first applying a bit of seam grip along key stiched seams can help preserve (and further weatherproof) leather gloves.
 nniff 03 Feb 2017
In reply to pass and peak:

I use Meindl's own brand nikwax equivalent. It's a soaks in well but is quite stick initially (but not in a waxy, gunge everywhere way). That soon disappears and leaves them soft and supple again. Nikwax glove proof is good too
 summo 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

I've used liquid oil that was made or at least branded for the equestrian market, on boots and gloves, better to apply little and often rather than wait for them to dry to crisp. But don't apply just before you need them!
 iksander 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Perhaps obvious, but try and let them dry out without heat after use
 hairy51 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

I've had a pair of the Snow Shepherd leather gloves for a while now and use a combination of renapur leather conditioning wax and the Nikwax glove proof stuff, the renapur is definitely good at keeping the leather nice and supple. Seems to do the trick, although if it is a really long crappy day, I do eventually get wet hands!
OP Tricadam 03 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Thanks for the advice folks. I tried some of the liquid Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather on my older pair of G2 Alpines and it looks to have rejuvenated them very nicely.

Dave, I'll have to try those Simond ones. If they do fit folk with long but not overly wide hands, that should be about right. I too tried the famed Argon gloves but find that on me the fit is terrible so they've been relegated to de-icing the car use!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...