UKC

Super skinny single ropes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HimTiggins 03 Feb 2017
I'm looking at getting a skinny single rope to be used for scottish winter routes and alpine climb when I feel I wouldn't need half ropes and have no intention of taking regular falls! I'm considering the Edelrid Corbie, Mammut Serenity or Beal Opera. Ideally I'm looking for it to be as robust as possible while still being super light.

Has anyone got any advice on this or experience using any of these ropes, or are there any others you think I should consider? Thanks!
 AlanLittle 03 Feb 2017
In reply to HimTiggins:

From what I was told by an acquaintance who had one, "as robust as possible" was not a major design goal with the Serenity.

And in general, robust ropes have a high sheath percentage, whereas to get sufficient strength ultra-skinny ropes have to be nearly all core with a thin & flimsy sheath.
 John Kelly 03 Feb 2017
In reply to HimTiggins:

Sterling fusion photon will do the trick, been using one for 3 years, mainly lakes volcanics, wearing well
http://www.sterlingrope.com/c/climbing_dynamic-ropes_7-8mm-fusion-photon

Previously used mammut Phoenix also good hardwearing kit

Interested in how Beal Gully, Mammut Twilight, Edelrid Flycatcher stack up
 John Kelly 03 Feb 2017
In reply to AlanLittle:

Phoenix 8mm, 42% sheath, tough as an old boot ( fusion photon is also tough but don't know %age )
 AlanLittle 03 Feb 2017
In reply to John Kelly:

I thought we were talking about singles?
 John Kelly 03 Feb 2017
In reply to AlanLittle:
Oops apologies missed that

skinny singles, my only experience was really poor, stirling rope, purple job, terrible, constantly tangling
Post edited at 21:06
 alasdair19 04 Feb 2017
In reply to AlanLittle:

I've used beal joker extensively they're good but super light and durable are not particularly compatible. Was very impressed by the sharp edge resistant core. I'm careful with them
 olddirtydoggy 04 Feb 2017
In reply to HimTiggins:

I got a Serenity and it seems great. That said you have climbed on it once or twice at the crags with us.
 Lucy Wallace 04 Feb 2017
In reply to alasdair19:

Been using a Beal Joker since April, it's done two rock trips (not seen much use in between) and is now getting pressed in to service in winter. Seems to be holding up ok considering although I wasn't impressed with how quickly the rope froze up last weekend (very wet snow conds mind).
 Mark Haward 05 Feb 2017
In reply to HimTiggins:

I find the Beal Joker works well for me but bear in mind that skinny ropes can be hard to hold / grip especially with gloves on or when moving together on an alpine route. When there is a lot of moving together / use of direct belays I'll often opt for a thicker rope but usually make it shorter if I can so there is no weight penalty.

metrorat 05 Feb 2017
In reply to HimTiggins:

I have an 80m mammut serenity. Used it mainly for sport trips for a couple of years, its skinnier, lighter and tougher than my beal 60m, handles well and has a bomber feel. Despite being roundly abused - hang-dogging single pitch routes and abseiling over sharp edges on multipitch routes - its still going strong. I have the dry-treated version which I think contributes to its durability.
 TobyA 05 Feb 2017
In reply to HimTiggins:

Edelrid has stopped making the Corbie, my UKC review of it wasn't the only one that found it rather too delicate. I would give it a miss. I have been very happy with the Edelrid Swift, Mammut Serenity and Beal Joker I reviewed for UKC many years ago. All have done lots of years of good service since and I still use.
nellyonarope 05 Feb 2017
In reply to HimTiggins:
Another vote for serenity got one for the exact same application as you intend and it's a great rope 👍
 Hugh Simons 06 Feb 2017
In reply to HimTiggins:

I got a pair of the Beal Operas in the Summer and have been very happy with them so far. I've only used them as half ropes so far (2 multipitch rock routes and 3 winter routes) and they certainly feel very robust - the dry treatment on them make them fairly solid feeling and they've been great in the snow particularly. I got two 50 m ropes with the idea that I could take one for any mountaineering routes and future alps trips to replace my knackered Joker but also have a set of lightweight half ropes for winter climbing and steeper rock climbing. Not had a chance to use either as a single yet but I'd say they would be brilliant as they are lighter than my old Joker whilst still being single rated. Naturally being thinner it's more likely to wear out quicker (especially in the Alps) but that's to be expected. Only thing I don't like about them is they tangle quite easily but that aspect is getting better every time I use them. Great as a half rope but I think they'd come in to their own on any long mountaineering days due them being nice and light! Hope this helps.
 Fraser 08 Feb 2017
In reply to HimTiggins:

I've not used any of those you mention but I've been impressed so far with my Decathlon-bought Simond 8.9mm diam. single. Not used it outside yet though so it might 'feel' slightly different, but indoors it's very good and great value at £119 for 100m.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...