UKC

Old school hifi help needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevesmith 04 Feb 2017

My 1990s vintage stereo system is playing up, so I can't play my vinyl. Does anyone know of a hifi geek in the South Lakes area who could come and sort it out?

Steve
Post edited at 11:47
 Dark-Cloud 04 Feb 2017
In reply to stevesmith:

You could try these guys, they repair stuff

http://www.robinsonselectric.co.uk
 Tobes 04 Feb 2017
In reply to stevesmith:

geez '90s vintage' that makes me feel old!

you got separates or integrated system? you done various tests to see if it's the turntable or speakers or amp etc?

Can be about £50 just to get someone to look at it, so if you know its definitely the amp for example and it's a basic set up you can get a pretty cheap replacement for more 'vintage' gear i.e for under £50 etc.

Sorry don't know anyone in your area but sending it away (sometimes can be done through a hifi shop) can be a fairly painless process.
In reply to stevesmith:

In what way is it playing up, exactly?

T.
OP stevesmith 04 Feb 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

No sound when I try to play a vinyl LP, so it's either a fault with the cartridge or with the phono stage of the amp. CDs play fine, so it's not the speakers or the CD bit of the amp. So - suggestions?

Amp = Naim NAIT3
Deck = Linn Axis
Cartridge = Audio Technica AT440MLa
In reply to stevesmith:

I assume you've done the obvious: checked that all the connections to the cartridge are still attached, unplugged and re-inserted the leads between the turntable and the amp a few times to make a clean connection and the like, and perhaps taken the top off the amp to check that there's not a wire loose?

If there's still no luck, then you're in a bit of a difficult spot. The problem is more likely to be with the amp than the turntable as, provided the platter is still going round, all the wires are attached and there's no unusual noise or smell, there's not a lot to go wrong with a turntable; you could always try using a multimeter to see if there's a signal coming out of the phono leads, of course.

The nearest hifi shop to you that I've used for test, repair and the like is Doug Brady in Warrington; which is a fair drag. Other people may, of course, have used and trust places more conveniently located. There used to be - and may still be - a hifi shop in Lancaster (on Penny Street, I think, at the uphill end) which you could try. Otherwise, it's a judgement call as to how much you like your amp. There's a decent level of support for Naim repairs and upgrades; these folk popped up after a quick google http://www.witchhatservicing.co.uk (I've not used them; I'm a Linn chap, mostly) but you'd need to balance the cost of a repair, perhaps coupled with a general service and replacement of capacitors and the like to give an all-round improvement against the cost of a new (to you, perhaps) amp, and that's a judgement you're going to have to make.

Sorry I can't be a bit more help! Good luck, whichever route you take.

T.

BrendanO 04 Feb 2017
In reply to stevesmith:

Even more obvious suggestion: since u got separates, borrow a known working amp from a friend and connect to your lively Linn. That will let you know which box has the fault.

Agree with previous poster that there's less to go wrong in the turntable...if that's where the fault lies, may be sirth looking inside for loose wires, cracked solder. Then again, you may not want to tamper with Kinn gear.

When my 80s Harmon Kardon amp went wrong, I just replaced it with an 80s Sansui amp I had in reserve, so snother cheapish option may be to get another sevondhand amp...if you know that's the issue.

Incidentally, I advertised the HK amp as free to uplift and had a queue at the door!

Good luck!
In reply to BrendanO and Pursuedbya bear:

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I tried the obvious steps, but no-one round here seems to have a spare amp so I haven't done that. I'll see what Doug Brady and WitchHat have to say.

Thanks again.

S

In reply to stevesmith:

It would be unusual for both channels of a turntable to fail at the same time (since there's real not much but wire and electrical connections there).

Likewise, it would be unlucky for both channels of a preamplifier to fail simultaneously (unless it's using a dual op-amp package for the stereo, and that, or its PSU, has failed).

When did you last play vinyl on the amp?
Have you dismantled the system since then?
Is there an MM/MC switch somewhere on the front or rear panel that you have accidentally changed?
How are the inputs selected on the amp? Pushbutton? Rotary switch? Electronic switch (e.g. remote control)?

I'd hazard a guess that it's either simple unplugged lead, lead into wrong connectors, MM/MC switch or a faulty selector switch.
In reply to captain paranoia:

OK - thanks - I'll check

S
 Hooo 04 Feb 2017
In reply to stevesmith:

An easy check for an amplifier phono input is to turn the volume to max, stick a cable in the socket and tap the centre pin with your finger. You'll hear a nasty buzz if it's working. You can take it a stage further and pull the connections off the back of the cartridge and tap the wires there. That will test it from cartridge right through to the speakers.
In reply to stevesmith:

Had a look for manual and details. Wow... DIN sockets...

Phono section looks like it uses mono amps, built from discrete components, so unlikely both have failed, as i said. But also, the supply for them may have.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=157706
OP stevesmith 08 Feb 2017
In reply to stevesmith:

Thanks for all the ideas - I think it'll need a visit to an expert
 Nevis-the-cat 09 Feb 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

Not just din, but Naim din.

It could be the internconnects.

As Captain says, not much to go wrong in the turntable stage. as you said, you've checked the cartridge connections, the loom then runs out the tone arm and pretty much into the amp. It's a while since I had an Axis in bits, but they're pretty much the same as the LP12 from the same era.

Good call on checking if the MM/MC has been switched.

Naits are pretty well built. Is there an in line fuse to the phono supply (again as Capt mentioned)? I had a similar issue in an old Arcam 60.

Bob Kemp 10 Feb 2017
In reply to stevesmith:
I found this lot when I thought my old amp was failing but sorted the problem myself, so I haven't used them. Maybe worth giving them a ring?

http://www.tvrepairslancaster.co.uk/hifi-repairs/4586674398
 Timmd 10 Feb 2017
In reply to stevesmith:

If you do get to 'desperation stage', Moorgate Acoustics in Sheffield could solve the problem for you.

http://www.moorgateacoustics.co.uk/store/special-offers-1.html
 nniff 10 Feb 2017
In reply to stevesmith:

I have a mid-80's system - NAD/Thorens/Mission - and periodically it benefits from a good spray with an Electric Contact Cleaner and a press of all buttons, a spin of all knobs and plug/unplug of all cables. THat seems to cure it of its foibles for another year or so (mostly one channel going on strike).

The dust that gathers within the amplifier is alarming and it's worth taking the cover off and giving it all a good degunge periodically. Finally, look for little fuses, whose failure may be also associated with dust.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...