UKC

So farewell then, Black Sabbath ;-(

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
So Sabbath played their last ever gig last night in Birmingham at the NEC
http://news.sky.com/story/black-sabbath-faces-the-end-as-band-returns-to-bi...
after an 81 gig world fairwell tour.
As a Brummie kid, I saw them loads of times, Brum Town Hall, Odeon, then further afield when I left home. Just about everything associated with most of the metal genres stems from Tony and Geezer.
The last album '13' was a real tour de force and I will miss them a lot.
I saw them touring Heaven and Hell, and Mob Rules with Ronnie James Dio, which were brilliant gigs and great albums, but the most memorable gigs were the ones with Ozzie.
Listen to any interview or documentary with a rock or metal band, and the common inspiration is Sabbath.
Depending on who is manning the desk at Awesome Walls in Sheffield, full albums get played, including recently, Master of Reality, and Black Sabbath. Perfect training music
 dale1968 05 Feb 2017
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:
Just listened to War Pigs and Paranoid always good to train too
Post edited at 10:28
 Sl@te Head 05 Feb 2017

> I saw them touring Heaven and Hell, and Mob Rules with Ronnie James Dio, which were brilliant gigs and great albums, but the most memorable gigs were the ones with Ozzie.

I regret not making the effort to see them on this their farewell tour

I did see them with Ian Gillan which never felt like the 'full tick' even though I'd seen both Dio and Ozzie on solo tours...

Still think that 'War Pigs' lyrics are so relevant for the world we live in, even though it was first penned in the 70's.
 Dell 05 Feb 2017

They always get mentioned in the same breath as Led Zep and Deep Purple. Which whilst they are great bands, I feel does them a disservice. It was Sabbath that were the first to come up with 'evil' sounding doomladen rock music. Which totally changed the direction of rock, spawning multiple sub genres.
They will never be equalled or bettered.
All hail!
In reply to Dell:

> They always get mentioned in the same breath as Led Zep and Deep Purple. Which whilst they are great bands, I feel does them a disservice. It was Sabbath that were the first to come up with 'evil' sounding doomladen rock music. Which totally changed the direction of rock, spawning multiple sub genres.

> They will never be equalled or bettered.

> All hail!

Tony Iommi always reckoned that if he had his time again he would have forced himself to learn to play right handed. Sabbath are one of the rare or maybe unique bands who weren't derivative.
Between them, Sabbath, Zep and Purple had a monopoly on brilliant guitarists didn't they?
 Bulls Crack 05 Feb 2017

Saw Tony Iommi's legendary band Quartz in 1979 at Northfields Vicarage (vicar was a metal fan). I'm probably still suffering
 Dell 05 Feb 2017

> Between them, Sabbath, Zep and Purple had a monopoly on brilliant guitarists didn't they?

Some of that rubbed off onto Ozzy too.
 nathan79 06 Feb 2017

Glad I got the chance to see twice within the last 5 years (so no Bill Ward sadly). Seeing them for the first time at Download, hearing the first few notes is"Black Sabbath" was just fantastic.

One of those on my "must-see" list. The last one left on that list is ZZ Top who I have tickets for in the summer.
cb294 06 Feb 2017

About time, too.

I saw them quite a few times (and Ozzy solo as well), but did not want to see them tarnish their legacy since quite a while. When did Ozzy stop being able to sing?

Also, 13 sounded great at first, but at closer inspection was just an overproduced, autotune heavy rehash of their old stuff. Any pub tribute band could have made the same record given that level of production support.

Give me their old stuff any day.

So there, that should be enough semi-trolling for a Monday morning!

CB
 krikoman 06 Feb 2017
Best metal band by far, only Deep Purple came close. The rest are piss poor imitations.
Post edited at 08:40
cb294 06 Feb 2017
In reply to krikoman:

I agree about Sabbath, but DP??? Hammond organs or synthesizers in rock music are simply wrong.

CB
 krikoman 06 Feb 2017
In reply to cb294:
But Richie Blackmore and Ian Paice more than cover the dodgy organ
Post edited at 11:58
 Dell 06 Feb 2017
In reply to krikoman:

> But Richie Blackmore and Ian Paice more than cover the dodgy organ

Yes, codpieces played a vital role in many early heavy metal album covers.
astley007 06 Feb 2017
In reply to nathan79:

where are zz top playing, similar to you ...on my "chalk bucket" list..but probably sold out now?
cheers
Nick B
 Sl@te Head 07 Feb 2017

It's not farewell to Black Sabbath after all, they are going to continue as a band but no more tours....
In reply to Sl@te Head:

> It's not farewell to Black Sabbath after all, they are going to continue as a band but no more tours....

I hope they manage to pull Bill Ward into the band again, and maybe a different producer for the next album.

> Between them, Sabbath, Zep and Purple had a monopoly on brilliant guitarists didn't they?

Ritchie Blackmore will go down as one of he greatest guitarists of all time but there were others from that era not connected with any of those bands such as Randy Rhoads and Michael Schenker.
 Ian Jones 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Dell:

WTF are you on? I think you have Purple mixed up with Jethro Tull.
 Dell 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Ian Jones:
I was generalising about dodgy 70s album covers in general.

I basically saw a window of opportunity for a knob gag, and took it!
Post edited at 19:21
 nathan79 19 Feb 2017
In reply to astley007:

They're playing Manchester, Dublin and Glasgow in July. Glasgow show for me.
latisha 20 Feb 2017

There albums are still available in the market so, we can still hear their music.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...