UKC

Postcards from the edge quiz Question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bruce woodley 06 Feb 2017
Anybody know who the the two dudes are who featured in a magazine ad/feature called postcards from the edge climbing Big Picket rock in East Devon? The pic was of sandstone and contained only a foot in an etrier! Got contacts for them? I need route grade and kit advice for the upcoming Guidebook.
 Ian Parsons 06 Feb 2017
In reply to bruce woodley:

Parnell and Pickford; CLIMB #101, July 2013.
 Iain Peters 06 Feb 2017

Hi Bruce, I made an attempt on the route a few years' back with Stu Bradbury, Don Sargeant and Andy Bullock, which came to an abrupt end when rain stopped play as I was contemplating the final crack after the traverse left from the first stance. From memory there were two in situ steel reinforcing rods above me at my high point. I placed a blade peg directly into what had become mud to retreat back to the stance. We had a cam in an expanding crack above the niche/cave stance, placed a channel peg, clipped an inset peg and another rod, and then got the f%*k out of it.....carefully. The first pitch is very straightforward as long as one is happy with the 6" nail and a cabbage stalk for protection. We shall return.
 nwclimber 06 Feb 2017

Perhaps these guys could help you:
youtube.com/watch?v=HECpZ40PdgM&
 Iain Peters 06 Feb 2017
In reply to nwclimber:

Ice axes are totally unethical. I mean are these bounders also shooters of foxes?
OP bruce woodley 06 Feb 2017
In reply to Iain Peters:

Splendid.Do I need to find some stainless rebar? Or shell out for a couple of long glue ins? Been in Yorkshire too long to consider such outlay, they'd never let me back over the county line.N or S!
OP bruce woodley 06 Feb 2017
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Super, I'll give Pickers a shout.Many thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...