UKC

VIDEO - Ben Moon: Past, Present & Future

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 07 Feb 2017
Ben Moon: Past Present and Future, 4 kbIt's no secret that Ben Moon - one of Britain's most influential and respected climbers - has been trying Northern Lights 9a at Kilnsey. Having ticked Rainshadow 9a at age 48, Ben continues to set the bar high.

In this video from Boreal, Ben talks about the evolution of climbing in the UK and his varying approach to training and projecting over the years.

Read more
 Sean Kelly 07 Feb 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Over 1196 have watched this vid and nobody has seen fit to comment. I just don't understand it? I thought it was riveting climbing, all sequency and committing (for sport) in the sense that there are no rests, you just have to keep going for it. You either do the sequence or fail. I like that in a sport route, not that I actually climb that type of route, and certainly not at that grade. I know it's a different game for most of us mortals.
Thanks for posting.
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Agreed, it is a nice film with a lovely, gentle quality to it. Great to see footage of the sequence on Northern Lights, it looks nails! I enjoyed the grit bouldering footage both old and recent, showing just how clean and precise Ben Moon's style is. Great narrative too, the story of his climbing through different stages of life is really inspirational. Two thumbs up.
 Fakey Rocks 07 Feb 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Perhaps? its just when people see these videos and articles posted, many? don't realise they can click the forum link to make comments,... but i find even when i do the reply icon isn't looking like it is usable, still says login to reply, even though i see i am logged in, but if i click the reply button i realise it works.

Anyway....

Come on Ben!
 pec 07 Feb 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Just out of curiosity, why is it subtitled? Its not like he's got a wild incomprehensible accent. Not really complaining, just curious.
 bouldery bits 07 Feb 2017
In reply to pec:

> Just out of curiosity, why is it subtitled? Its not like he's got a wild incomprehensible accent. Not really complaining, just curious.

For the Euro's and the 'across the pond' lot I'd guess.

My favourite subtitled climbing vids is still:

youtube.com/watch?v=ngQbNJeCVls&
 TobyA 07 Feb 2017
In reply to pec:

I think its because lots of these videos come up in people's Facebook feeds and autoplay if you pause on them. Generally it seems the default for autoplay is muted, so having subtitles allows you to follow without either plugging headphones or annoying anyone sitting near you who isn't interested in Ben Moon!
 FactorXXX 07 Feb 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent little video and Moon makes some of those boulder problems look all too easy...
Hope he gets Northern Lights done this year - even if it means I can't use being fifty as an excuse for slowing down!
 Dave Hewitt 08 Feb 2017
In reply to pec:

> Just out of curiosity, why is it subtitled?

It's not very well subtitled - there are a couple of typos in there and it needs a subeditor or at least a proofreader (he says, from the standpoint of a sub/proofer). Nice video, though.
 Michael Gordon 08 Feb 2017
In reply to UKC News:

He's looking pretty smooth on it. I guess with the voiceover you can't hear the effort on the route.
 3leggeddog 08 Feb 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Crescent arete 6a?

That's another one of them I have climbed then.

By the time I pass, I wonder how hard I will have once climbed?
 Tony & Sarah 08 Feb 2017
In reply to pec:

Unlike the BMC, Ben has some social conscience, it is our view, all public videos should have some form of sub titling.

Sarah
 galpinos 08 Feb 2017
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> Crescent arete 6a?

HVS 5b.......
In reply to pec:

You can switch subtitles off by clicking on the closed captions/subtitling icon in the bottom right hand side of the video, the first icon looking left-right.
 Jenny C 08 Feb 2017
In reply to Tony & Sarah:
Agreed

As well as for those who are hard of hearing, it's also handy for those of us who want to watch at work (during our lunch break of course) and don't have the luxury of speakers or headphones.
 Phil Murray 09 Feb 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Another great clip of Ben, wow I really hope he can succeed on Northern Lights! It's the Will of the People! (on here, anyway...).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...