UKC

Finger injury

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dannygale 07 Feb 2017
Hi Guys,
Looking for some advice. Got swelling on the back of my middle knuckle is like a small pea size on the back of my middle knuckle and is really painful to extend straight. It almost looks like a swollen vein.
Hope you can offer a little guidance
Cheers Dan
 alx 07 Feb 2017
In reply to dannygale:

Sounds like a ganglion cyst if it's like a pea on a stalk, also known as a bible bump as hitting it hard with one was the preferred treatment once upon a time.

I would go get a doctor to look at it, if it's not this then it could be fluid in the joint from overuse of the crimp or a stress fracture from slapping plastic hard down your local wall.

Try the usual rest, ice, compression and elevation for the interim period before you get it checked over. Avoid all forms of work, cooking and cheap beer, treat as you would for man flu.
OP dannygale 07 Feb 2017
In reply to alx:
Your treatment sounds spot on regardless of what the injury is.
Are they generally painful as this thing has a stabbing pain in certain movements.
Think I would break my finger if I hit this bit with a book but see what your getting at with it
Cheers mate
 johncook 07 Feb 2017
In reply to dannygale:

Doctors. May even be a ruptured pulley or tendon. Quick intervention is essential if it is.
 alx 07 Feb 2017
In reply to johncook:

If it's the back of the knuckle then unlikely to be a tendon pulley. The annular pulleys run around the finger like a wedding ring and the cruciform pulleys tend to crisscross.

My bet is on a fluid in the wrong place, either a cyst which can be painful or just in the joint.

Minor injuries unit visit for you!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...