UKC

Cleaning a Cooking Pot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 08 Feb 2017
We've got an enamelled cast iron casserole dish which has become quite heavily stained with use. I've tried Brillo pads and bicarb and vinegar paste without success.
Just wondering if it's safe to use a bleach solution. Anyone know?
Obviously profuse rinsing would follow.
 Sir Chasm 08 Feb 2017
In reply to FesteringSore:

It'll be fine.
But you could, of course, put the lid on and ignore it.
cb294 08 Feb 2017

The enamel will survive, but I doubt bleach will be very effective. My favourite way of dealing with burnt in stains is to put some dishwasher powder into the pot and add some boiling water. Just be careful with your eyes!

CB
OP FesteringSore 08 Feb 2017
In reply to cb294:

Hmm. Saw somewhere that somebody used Steradent(denture cleaner) which I suppose has a similar action.

> We've got an enamelled cast iron casserole dish which has become quite heavily stained with use. I've tried Brillo pads and bicarb and vinegar paste without success.Just wondering if it's safe to use a bleach solution. Anyone know?Obviously profuse rinsing would follow.

Be careful its not like bleach is used on enamelled baths and toilets

Of course it will be fine .

TWS
 galpinos 08 Feb 2017

On all the Le Creuset pans my Mum gave to me, she'd used bleach to get rid of the stains. They looked nearly new.

They now look well used again (authentic....) and I can't be faffed bleaching them.
Lusk 08 Feb 2017
In reply to galpinos:

Mon dieu! You can't use bleach, you must use this (at only £19.50 a bottle) ...
https://www.lecreuset.co.uk/cast-iron-cleaner
 Trangia 08 Feb 2017

Lemon juice?
 galpinos 08 Feb 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Ha! Not only are the pans out of my price range (we now have quite a few that have been given to us), so is the cleaner!

Les anglais eh!
 MonkeyPuzzle 08 Feb 2017

Cook lots of white things in it - leeks, onions, milk etc - and they'll stain it back to white.
 Timmd 08 Feb 2017

The food won't mind being cooked in the stains.
 Baron Weasel 08 Feb 2017

Bleach or caustic soda should do it... if it doesn't then bleach and caustic soda will do it!
J1234 08 Feb 2017

If you use bleach, are you actually cleaning the pots, or bleaching the stains white.
Rigid Raider 08 Feb 2017

The dishwasher gets the inside of my favourite mug clean when it's stained from tea and coffee so I bet it would clean your dish.

Nothing is hotter or more caustic than a dishwasher - it's a great way of cleaning bike disc brake pads that are contaminated with oil or brake fluid.
 blurty 08 Feb 2017

I use ammonia on an enameled hob - works well
 fred99 08 Feb 2017

Try white vinegar.
You can buy it separately or just use some from a pickled onion jar.
Put the vinegar in the bowl and just leave for a few days to soak, then rinse and wash.
 Sir Chasm 08 Feb 2017

Alternatively you could replace it with pyrex, mypyrex is great.
 Fraser 08 Feb 2017

> Hmm. Saw somewhere that somebody used Steradent(denture cleaner) which I suppose has a similar action.

Our office cleaners have been known to use Steradent for getting the stained coffee mugs clean again. Seems to work!
 BusyLizzie 08 Feb 2017

I think maybe cooking rhubarb in it would be helpful.
 NathanP 08 Feb 2017

For light stains, neat or lightly diluted bleach works well. For really bad baked on deposits then caustic soda (oven cleaner) works.

Better not to scrub with Brillo pads or abrasive cleaners.
 SP91 08 Feb 2017

Don't worry about it - it will just add flavour to the next dish.
 radar 09 Feb 2017

Make a paste from bio washing powder, wear gloves as it is harsh on skin. Works a treat on badly stained mugs too.

Yours, Kim & Aggie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...