UKC

Buffalo not up to scratch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yoshis1220 08 Feb 2017
I bought an alpine jacket within the last year. Unfortunately its is not durable at all. I have owned a special 6 for years and phoned buffalo for advice on a replacement with a full zip. They recommended the alpine jacket. I was deciding between this and the belay jacket. On their advice I bought the alpine jacket.

Unfortunately the face fabric on this just isn't up to scratch. I have had my special 6 for years and it has withstood carrying my daughter in her pack without any issues. However after carrying may daughter with this jacket in the same pack a handful of times the face fabric has pulled where the pack meets. I do not understand how this is not a fabric warranty issue as the special 6 held up fine!

After phoning buffalo customer service they have not offered to replace or repair the jacket so I am stuck with having paid money for a jacket which does not look great anymore and will last nowhere near as long as my special 6. Having taken their advice to buy the jacket, I was told that it was the face fabric that was the reason as to why it had pulled. Very unimpressed with the face fabric and the outcome.

I have been a proud buffalo owner for years but feel like I have been cheated into spending money on something which is not up to scratch with no solution given.

Very unhappy...bottom line don;t buy a jacket with p-form fabric as it won't last!

Anyone else have any issues / opinions?
 Lemony 08 Feb 2017
In reply to yoshis1220:

> I am stuck with having paid money for a jacket which does not look great anymore

In fairness, Buffaloes look pretty shit to start with.
 Mike Conlon 08 Feb 2017
In reply to yoshis1220:

I was about to suggest perhaps your six+ yo daughter had outgrown the pack but realised I was misreading your post and being a UKC smartar**. Hope you get sorted.
OP yoshis1220 08 Feb 2017
In reply to yoshis1220:

Thanks, I do appreciate its not the best looking jacket however pulls in the face fabric look awful and brings into question the durability. Buffalo have been extremely unhelpful and don't really know where to go from here?

Any advice is appreciated
 wynaptomos 08 Feb 2017
In reply to yoshis1220:
I have a special 6 since the mid 1990s and still use it a lot. Maybe Buffalo have realised that it doesn't pay them to make things that last too long........
 dr_botnik 08 Feb 2017
In reply to yoshis1220:

This isn't the first story I've heard like this. You're probably better shelling out for Arc'tyrx gear as their lifetime warranty doesn't come with the same small print buffalo seem to be peddling...
 Siward 08 Feb 2017
In reply to dr_botnik:

I don't suppose this latest Buffalo is marketed as lighter weight by any chance?

Light weight is the scourge of modern outdoor gear. Pah!
OP yoshis1220 09 Feb 2017
In reply to yoshis1220:

Going to phone trading standards and see what they say. Can't hurt. It's the fact they gave me advice and I bought it on this that annoys me! The advice was blatantly not true!
nikkormat 09 Feb 2017
In reply to wynaptomos:

I was devoted to Buffalo gear for 15 years, until a couple of years ago when I bought a hooded belay jacket. The zip broke twice in the first week of wearing, and the cut and general standard of finishing was worse than I could have done myself. It's a shame, as I still like the system, but I won't go near their clothing again.
 nniff 09 Feb 2017
In reply to yoshis1220:

I have an opinion - your jacket is looking worn after a year. These things happen. May be down to the fabric, may be down to you. If you're that upset about it take your business elsewhere, but do get a sense of perspective.

And if you're going to bleat about a British manufacturer on a forum at least have the decency to get some sort of a profile.

Nothing for trading standards here.
 PM 09 Feb 2017
In reply to nniff:
> at least have the decency to get some sort of a profile

What difference would that make?

(Edit: I agree that 'Year old jacket now looks worn' doesn't scream Trading Standards, to me.)
Post edited at 16:30
 rocksol 09 Feb 2017
In reply to yoshis1220:

I always thought Buffalo jackets were more suited to potholers Loads I know wear them Arcteryx great but oh so expensive Rab and Mountain is middle of road for clothing that works/wears well

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...