UKC

So that's why

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 08 Feb 2017
I always wondered why wet rocks are not to be used in fire pit construction. This explains why with an interesting anecdote

To explain Gary's comment on using rocks that did not come from a river bed (or lake or pond, for that matter) - Almost all rocks have tiny cracks in them. If you use a rock that has been soaked by sitting in the water in a stream, lake, or other water for an extended time, there will be water in those cracks. When heated in the fire or surrounding the fire, the water can turn to steam, resulting in the rock exploding (I learned this from my Red Ryder Handbook when I was about 7 or 8 years old - 25 cents and a boxtop from some cereal that I have long since forgotten). I also saw it happen some years later as a teenager when one of my buddies who liked to experiment with explosive things like black powder and fulminate of mercury intentionally built a roaring fire and put several large rocks from a stream in it just to see what would happen. Sure enough, some of the rocks cracked with a loud noise and a couple of them actually exploded, sending fragments quite a way into the air and the surrounding area. Luckily no one was hurt (this same buddy later lost his ear and all the fingers off one hand when a home-made pipe bomb exploded in his hand - you could buy the makings of explosives at your neighborhood drug store in those days).
 Billhook 08 Feb 2017
In reply to Flinticus:
Many types of Sandstone have microscopic gaps between the grains - thats why some absorb water as you may know.

You may be interested to know that those rocks which do not absorb water - rocks which are generally heavy, dense, compact materials (with no spaces between the particles) are thus very heavy are often used in places subject to extremes of heat such as furnace linings. Up here in North Yorkshire there were small areas containing rocks such as Basalt and a sandstone called Gannister, Both extremely heavy, and dense - it too was commercially quarried, and used to line furnaces. Because it was dense they could not absorb water, nor air. Therefore they did not break on being exposed to large amounts of heat.

Where both these stones occur on the surface I sometimes come across them walling. They are so dense they are impossible for me to break them with a sledge hammer. I've never tried putting these on a fire but I doubt they'd crack or explode.

Having exploded stones on a fire when I was much younger, like you, its a wonder we've still got 4 eyes between us. '
Post edited at 15:36

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...