UKC

Gas usage for melting snow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 08 Feb 2017
I always seem to get the gas quantity wrong on trips - usually having plenty spare. So I was wondering if there are any geeks out there who have actually logged:
How much gas they have used for making how many litres of water from snow?
What temperature it was?
What altitude they were at?

Planning on taking an MSR Reactor on a 12 day trip, up to 5000m, temps likely down to -10C, not too worried about wind. Reckon on wanting about 4L of water per person daily from snow.

How much would you take?
 wbo 08 Feb 2017
In reply to Removed UserRockarch: none because for that I'd use petrol

Removed User 08 Feb 2017
In reply to wbo:

That debate was had, and we decided on gas.
 RR 08 Feb 2017
In reply to Removed UserRockarch:

For me 19 grams Isobutane per quart for the Reactor. Use the big pot.
MSR says about 22 liters of water per full 8 oz gas. That is not when really cold.
I never got it with 10 grams in warm weather 12 if lucky.
The Reactor is not field repairable/re-setable, it is very reliable.
I take a back-up when low, Pocket Rocket = 24 grams per quart or a white gas fuel stove XGK or Whisperlite international ? (the one that takes white gas as well as Isobutane). The Reactor is for the summit push.

Removed User 08 Feb 2017
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

Thanks - so that suggests 30g per person per day for melting snow or about 50g for 2 people. What's missing for me in these estimates is to tell you how much water they are actually producing, and how many cups of tea you can have!

Pretty different to what RR says - he reckons on 20g fuel for a litre of water so the 30g wouldn't be enough by a long shot.

Look at his Notes and Assumptions:
1. The figures above assume about 6 cups (approx. 1.5L) boiled per day for simple cooking.
 Jon Bracey 09 Feb 2017

It depends quite a lot whether your in a basecamp situation or bivouacking on a route.

I would allow for 100g of gas per person, per day.
Removed User 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Jon Bracey:

We're ski mountaineering so moving up the mountain each day with tents etc before going for the summit from a high camp.

Thanks for the 100g suggestion - is that from experience of using a Reactor type stove?
Removed User 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:
Look at his Notes and Assumptions:1. The figures above assume about 6 cups (approx. 1.5L) boiled per day for simple cooking.

Yes, I did see that. I'm trying to gauge is how much is needed to produce drinking water (which doesn't need to boil) and also for rehydrating food. I can multiply it up which gets towards 80-90g pppd.

Jon Bracey 09 Feb 2017

My estimate was based on a jetfoil performance, which is very slightly less efficient than a msr reactor.
Removed User 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Jon Bracey:

Thanks Jon - at the end of the day you have to decide in numbers of canisters so there will inevitably be a rounding effect.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...