UKC

Purbeck Hills - Promenade Section

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
KeenFisherman 09 Feb 2017
Hi all.
Does anyone know if there's easy access to the ledges below the Promenade section, Swanage area, Dorset?
I've seen people on the ledges several times without climbing gear but I can't find a way down.
Thanks
 Climber_Bill 09 Feb 2017
In reply to KeenFisherman:

The standard way into the Prom is via a short scramble down through an amphitheatre near the route The Flail Trail. At the top of the amphitheatre there is an abseil point with a couple of staples to ab off as well if necessary. There are a couple of other places where it is possible to ab into the Prom, but those places are certainly not suitable for scrambling down.

The people you have seen down at the Promenade are most likely climbers who just don't happen to be climbing when you saw them. In climbing at the Prom for nearly 20 years and I have never seen none climbers there. Actually, that's not quite true, on one or two occasions, kayakers have come on the Prom for a look around and a chat.

TJB.
 scott titt 09 Feb 2017
It is possible to climb down to the Promenade without a rope-if you are an experienced climber with a head for heights and the local knowledge to find the exact route. It would be very difficult for a non-climber to climb down while carrying any fishing gear, even a small bag and a telescopic rod. Cattle Troughs (Half Moon) is the traditional spot for adventurous anglers along that bit of coast, be careful there if a swell is running though.
PS Just call it Purbeck, unless of course you are an Estate Agent.
In reply to scott titt:
Thanks for your response.
I was told by a local never to call it Purbeck or The Purbecks, always the Purbeck Hills.
Cattle Troughs I have climbed several times.
I'm really interested in the ledge in between Blacker's Hole and Durlston.
I have some climbing experience (studied at college).
I wouldn't try and climb it with fishing gear.
Post edited at 10:10
 Greasy Prusiks 09 Feb 2017

Surely just ab on your fishing line? Remember to keep one hand on the reel though.

(Don't do this)
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Unfortunately my braid will only support 8 stone

> I was told by a local never to call it Purbeck

Scott's a local...

So are my parents. They, and their born-and-bred village neighbours, have only ever called it Purbeck. Or the Isle of Purbeck.
KeenFisherman 16 Feb 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

The RNLI lied to me then :P
 AJM 16 Feb 2017

From what I remember of each, I'd have said the ledge immediately east of Blackers Hole (where the low level quarry is) would be easier access than the Promenade ..?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...