UKC

Sorry - Another TMB Question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 09 Feb 2017
Sorry to be a pain about my plans to do the TMB.

Can anyone give me any advise as to which is the most difficult stage of the tour. I'm planning on doing the "normal" rather than any of the more demanding "variantes" such as the Fenetre d'Arpette.

I am trying to plan my route so that I do not find each day too long or tiring. Obviously I don't want to be in a situation of having booked a hut in advance and then find I'm too knackered to get there before a reasonable time. At the moment my estimate seems to be 13/14 days including a rest day in Courmayeur.

I'm doing it hut to hut anti-clockwise.

Any advice appreciated
Removed User 09 Feb 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I can give you plenty of advice as I led 3 TMBs last year but you need to be more specific. Which is the most dififcult stage depends on what your stages are! If you can do 1000m of ascent over 10-11 miles in a day you'll be fine.
Use Kev Reynolds book and you won't go far wrong.
OP mypyrex 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Removed UserRockarch:

Thanks for reply. The sort of modification I'm doing is:
Day 1 Bellevue - Les Contamines
Day 2 Les Contamines - Ref/Gite de la Balme
Day 3 Gite/Ref de la Balme - Les Chapieux
Day 4 Les Chapieux - Ref Elisabetta
Day 5 Ref Elisabetta - Courmayeur
Day 7 Courmayeur - Ref Bonatti
with similar adjustments on the rest of the circuit
 TeeBee 09 Feb 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> I don't want to be in a situation of having booked a hut in advance and then find I'm too knackered to get there before a reasonable time. At the moment my estimate seems to be 13/14 days including a rest day in Courmayeur.

I did it in about this time, and the same direction, and didn't find that there was ever really a possibility of being late for the huts (though obviously it depends how fast you walk). I think just in terms of hammering the body I found coming back down to Les Houches from the Aiguille Rouge side quite jarring, and our stage that finished at the Elizabetta hut felt quite full in terms of down, up and distance - though the path is good, as I recall.
OP mypyrex 09 Feb 2017
In reply to TeeBee:
> and didn't find that there was ever really a possibility of being late for the huts (though obviously it depends how fast you walk).
I'm a slow old fart(71)
(Thanks for the encouraging response)
Post edited at 11:43
Removed User 09 Feb 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Those all sound OK for a not over stressful trip. Also depends if you're going to be purist or get the cablecar up to Bellevue as that makes a big difference.
There are various get-outs and buses for some sections so if you are too knackered you can always make use of them.

Just don't take too much stuff as that will probably make the biggest difference.
OP mypyrex 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Removed UserRockarch:

> Those all sound OK for a not over stressful trip. Also depends if you're going to be purist or get the cablecar up to Bellevue as that makes a big difference.
Cable car
>Just don't take too much stuff as that will probably make the biggest difference.
My minimalist kit. Underpants worn back to front, inside out etc on alternate days

subtle 09 Feb 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

>Just don't take too much stuff as that will probably make the biggest difference.My minimalist kit. Underpants worn back to front, inside out etc on alternate days

Go even more minimalist - no underpants

Have a good trip - remember to stop and look around whilst doing the tour and enjoy the scenery - dont just worry about making the next hut, it will still be open at whatever time you get there, and as you are booked in there will be a bed space for you.

Enjoy it.
 Rob Exile Ward 09 Feb 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Just a comment - Day 2 seems very short, although the start is relatively tough. (They're lovely people there though - the only place in France where they actually ENCOURAGE le pic nic! Or they did the day we were there when it was absolutely pi$$ing it down.) And the Col De Bonne home is a good place to stay.
OP mypyrex 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Just a comment - Day 2 seems very short, although the start is relatively tough. (They're lovely people there though - the only place in France where they actually ENCOURAGE le pic nic! Or they did the day we were there when it was absolutely pi$$ing it down.) And the Col De Bonne home is a good place to stay.

Yes, as you were typing that I was thinking much the same and I'm thinking I might extend my first day to Le Pontet or Nant Borant and then the Ref Croix Bonhomme the following day.
Thanks.
Removed User 09 Feb 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Nant Borant to Ref Croix Bonhomme is very short. You'll be there by lunchtime. Nant Borant to Les Chapieux is usual.

I've done Les Chapieux to Les Contamines in one day.
OP mypyrex 09 Feb 2017
In reply to All:
Many thanks for your useful, interesting and encouraging responses.

As far as the timings and distance are concerned I am experiencing some uncertainty over apparent discrepancies between those given in the guide book and those that I have measured and calculated using Memory Map. For instance, Kev Reynolds' book, for the Les Contamines to Les Chapieux leg, gives a distance of 18Km.

Measuring on Memory Map I am getting a distance of 24Km - obviously with an increased time.

I accept that there will be some minor discrepancy but would not have expected 33%. Anyone got any thoughts?

Removed User 09 Feb 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Hi Mypyrex
Just realised that I have not sent you details of my thoughts for the rest of the TMB.
Happy to talk to you about the trek and by the way I guide it several times a year and am nearly 70 as well.
Give me a call 0033468043728 and will be happy to talk.
Cheers
Mike
Removed User 09 Feb 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I could look up the GPX tracks from having walked the route but it certainly isn't 24km.

And for more encouragement - I had a 79 year old lady last year and she made it with a steady pace.
There are some big climbs and descents on the route but also plenty of time.

Don't know what time of year you're planning to go but there could still be quite a bit of snow in mid-late June which is another factor. If you can avoid the main July/August rush you'll have a more relaxing time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...