UKC

70ltr (ish) do all packs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
le_quack 09 Feb 2017
Hey I'm interested market for a big do all bag for multi day winter and week or longer 3 season walking/camping maybe some small "expedition" style things. Probably a maximum load of around 25kg at the most usually around 13-18kg

Been looking at the Montane Grand Tour 70, Mountain Hardwear South Col 70 and the Lightwave Wildtrek 70 anyone used any of these in anger.

Any other advice for a big bags budgets around £200.

Thanks
 r1ch79 09 Feb 2017
In reply to le_quack:

dont crux do a 70 in the ak range?

bombproof kit
le_quack 09 Feb 2017
In reply to wannabeagoat:

I'm only going to use it 2-4 times a year so I don't really want to spend too much the crux is a bit over budget
 ben b 10 Feb 2017
In reply to le_quack:
Not sure if POD still do the X-POD, but worth a look. If they are still about they were really well reduced in price...
See also Aiguille Alpine in Stavely for bombproof simplicity.

Osprey do some nice packs, but they don't fit me well. I spent a fair amount of time deciding between the Gregory Baltoro and Arcteryx Altra when I replaced my elderly (25 years old) POD. In the event the Altra fitted best, but the pack shape of the Gregory was better for getting things in - so I got the Altra and occasionally swear at it when packing but am happy with my choice for the carry (it was easier to try on "UK exotic" packs as I was in Montreal at the time, and US/Canada have quite a range of choices at the really big pack end of the market).

I tried the MHW South Col which looked cool, was great on paper, and was massively uncomfortable on me. Maybe I'm an odd shape but it carried like a chest of drawers on a string, but less comfort. Boreas made a 65l Lost Coast IIRC, really comfy and very light but I wondered about long term durability, and thought the foam would just act like a wet chamois leather on your back after a while....

If you don't mind speculative purchases https://www.rei.com/product/862870/rei-co-op-yosemite-75-pack - I have tried one on before, fitted me well, and a very sharp price even allowing for p&p / import duty. I picked up the women's version for Mrs B in an REI sale for a ridiculous price, and happily it fits her really well - now her only multi-day pack and carries well with 20kg in.

HTH

b
Post edited at 04:10
cb294 10 Feb 2017
In reply to le_quack:

For longer 3 season trekking tours I would look at the Scandinavian manufacturers (Bergans, Fjallraven, ...), this is what their stuff is usually really made for, and the 70L models will still have the ski and axe attachments.

Of course, the most important issue is fit, so no point in recommending any specific model.

CB
Dheorl 10 Feb 2017
In reply to le_quack:

As a fair number of this style pack doesn't have much, if any, adjustment in the back-panel, fit really is everything.

I'm personally eyeing up the South Col and potentially for BD Mission for upcoming trips.
 AndyDWilson 10 Feb 2017
In reply to le_quack:

I'm glad someone has asked this question. I'm in a similar position; looking for a large volume rucksack to go overnight trips with the dog. So taking all the obvious gear. The biggest pack I've got just now is a 40L BD. Which would take half of what I'd need.

I though about going for "other" brands (i.e. not osprey for price reason) but more along the lines of Gregory, if anyone has used one I'd appreciate their feedback.

I'll check out the other brands also to see whats what.

Cheers,
Andy
 sheelba 10 Feb 2017
In reply to le_quack:

Cheapest one that fits. I've been all over the world with DofE type packs and they've stood up to serious abuse. I somehow managed to snap the internal mental frame on my old vango and a mouse chewed through the top of my lowe alpine one when I left food in it but otherwise I've never had any problems. The cheaper ones also tend to come with fewer pointless additional features.
 Dell 11 Feb 2017
In reply to le_quack:

If you can track down a Berghaus Cyclops ROC, it will last a lifetime. The civilian version of these often pop up on eBay in good condition.
le_quack 11 Feb 2017
In reply to cb294:

I've been warned away from new bergans, a guy I know had the side pocket rip out on his after only a few days of use and said after some checking it seems a lot of the newer bergans packs have build issues.
le_quack 11 Feb 2017
In reply to Dheorl:

Mission looks good if BD's weight carrying "limits" are true. Can't find many reviews though. Let me know what your get and what you think
le_quack 11 Feb 2017
In reply to ben b:

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look at the UK available one not sure if I would want to get a bag I can't try on before hand. Although in the past even ones that have felt good in the shops have been hell 20 miles in.

I have the same problem with Gregory packs for some reason the hip belt never really work for me.
In reply to le_quack:
Check out Exped Thunder 70, or Lightning 60. The lightning is the more alpine style of the two, but I think it tops out at 60ltrs. Both well under budget too, think you can bag the Lighting 60 for around £125!
Post edited at 13:09
 arch 11 Feb 2017
In reply to AndyDWilson:

> I'm glad someone has asked this question. I'm in a similar position; looking for a large volume rucksack to go overnight trips with the dog. So taking all the obvious gear. The biggest pack I've got just now is a 40L BD. Which would take half of what I'd need. I though about going for "other" brands (i.e. not osprey for price reason) but more along the lines of Gregory, if anyone has used one I'd appreciate their feedback. I'll check out the other brands also to see whats what. Cheers,Andy

I use to have a Gregory Z55, which holds 61L I believe ?? Enough for me for a overnighter. (I didn't have superlight, minimalist kit, so it was a squeeze to fit all my stuff in) They also made a Z65.

Very comfortable loadcarrying (Once I'd got it adjusted correctly) mainly taken on the hipbelt, with some weight on the shoulder straps. Good outside front pocket for stuff needed quickly. I found the buckles a little fiddly, but other than that a very good bag.
 d_b 11 Feb 2017
In reply to le_quack:

I got a pod xpod for the job about a decade ago. Very simple design, but bomb proof fabric. It has had loads of use but still looks brand new.

The main problems with it are the floating lid, which is hard to get straight when it is full and the sheer volume which makes it very difficult to resist putting in "one more thing". Overall I would say it is a good option.

Before that I had a vango 65l bag. The stitching gave way and the bottom literally dropped out of it during a backpacking trip. Not ideal.
le_quack 11 Feb 2017
In reply to jonny.greenwood:

Yeah I looked at the exped stuff but I'm tall (6'2) and skinny (30-31 inch waist) and if I remember correctly I ruled them out because the waist belt doesn't go tight enough in my back size.
 ballsac 11 Feb 2017
In reply to le_quack:

I'd echo the recommendation for the Berghaus Cyclops Roc - mine is about 25 years old and is still going strong despite some appalling abuse, I carried it about 20km across Wales today with a full load...

It looks very basic, and it is - it's just indestructible and it does what you need it to do. It's got ice axe holders, ski attachments, loops for elastic cord, an external pocket and an internal pocket.

You'll get a decent green one on fleabay for £50 or so, if the colour worries you get a £5 rucksack cover.

If you think you want something with expansion room look at the old style Cyclops Crusader - without the bottom zip - 90ltrs and side pockets on top of that.
cb294 12 Feb 2017
In reply to le_quack:

No idea, as they don't fit me well, but my wife's old Bergans pack is still in good shape after 15 years.

I love my 90l Fjallraven Kajka (also available in smaller sizes, but I bought it for two week trekking trips with the kids...), but many people would not be able to cope with its yoke-like shoulder section. For a pack that will be used with heavy loads a perfect fit is even more crucial than for a daypack or small climbing sack.

CB
 Graham 13 Feb 2017
In reply to AndyDWilson:

I've used heaps of gregory packs - large, comfortable, fully (over?) featured, bombproof packs is what they do best. They're not going to be the lightest packs on the market, but in my experience (5 gregory packs over 15 years...) they've been really good big packs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...