UKC

Grammar question relating to capitalisation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Harris 09 Feb 2017

If you're quoting the first word of a sentence within the sentence you're writing, does it retain its capital letter?

Thinking about it, capitalisation isn't covered by the rules of grammar.

The question still stands, though.
Post edited at 18:59
In reply to Chris Harris:
As in 'What's the answer?', asked Chris.

T.
Edit: having now found my copy of Fowler's Modern English Usage, the answer is yes.
Post edited at 19:11
OP Chris Harris 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
That sort of thing.

I wrote: "You need to have a comma after the word 'Also'", when correcting the punctuation of a sentence beginning with the word "Also" (or is it "also"?)

I probably buggered the punctuation in that sentence good & proper......
Post edited at 19:11
 Michael Hood 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Chris Harris: My Ladybird book "Spelling and Grammar" definitely indicates the use of capitalisation within quotes. If you are quoting a sentence, then all the grammar rules for that sentence apply within the quotes.

It's a brilliant little book that actually makes grammar understandable, especially to those of us who, due to the comprehensive school system at the time, never learnt English grammar. Unfortunately I don't think it's available any more.
OP Chris Harris 09 Feb 2017

Thanks, chaps. I had a feeling that was the case, but wanted to be sure.

Cheers
Chris
 Sean Kelly 09 Feb 2017

Ah! Fowler...!
 TobyA 09 Feb 2017

If you were being totally fussy about quoting exactly, and the quote isn't the start of a sentence and hence wasn't capitalised in the original I guess you could put it in square brackets in the academic way: "[O]nce upon a time..."

But seriously, there must be more to life than this!
 abr1966 09 Feb 2017
In reply to TobyA:

> But seriously, there must be more to life than this!

More than pedantry? As a 52 year old bloke who hardly ever climbs now and who's job involves scrutinising others reports and signing them off....pedantry is a saving grace!
In reply to abr1966:

I still suffer from having done a good deal of proof-reading. Yesterday, I was getting annoyed with a book I was reading because there were sometimes the standard two spaces between a full stop and the start of a new sentence, and sometimes only one.

It wouldn't have got past my red pen...

T.
 abr1966 09 Feb 2017

Absolutely!
Sadly I'm now considered something of a dinosaur, it's all 'strike through' or 'track changes' nowadays....I still like my red pens!
 JCurrie 09 Feb 2017
In reply to abr1966:

Ahem!

...others' reports...

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
;p
> I still suffer from having done a good deal of proof-reading. Yesterday, I was getting annoyed with a book I was reading because there were sometimes the standard two spaces between a full stop and the start of a new sentence, and sometimes only one.It wouldn't have got past my red pen...T.

Do you really mean double spaces in proofs for a book? Two spaces are no longer standard, even for word-processed manuscripts before they're typeset, and haven't been for years. The typesetter/page layout designer works (in InDesign or Pagemaker etc) with single spaces, typically set to 1 em (or slightly bigger.) But that's just the starting point: in practice, almost every line of every page has to be tweaked, with kerning and tracking, to avoid hyphenation as far as possible, and 'widows' and 'orphans' at the top of pages and the bottom of paragraphs. If it's done well the reader will very rarely be aware of it. Quite a tricky art.
Post edited at 20:38
 abr1966 09 Feb 2017
In reply to JCurrie:

> Ahem!...others' reports...(Sorry, couldn't resist.);p

Thank you, great fully acknowledged!
 Castleman 09 Feb 2017

Off-topic...having read your profile, I'm intrigued to know what did/didn't happen in 2016 and what may happen in 2017!
abseil 09 Feb 2017
In reply to abr1966:

> More than pedantry? As a 52 year old bloke who hardly ever climbs now and who's job involves.....

"Whose job". Thank you and goodnight
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Quite a tricky art.

Indeed it is, and different now to the days of galley proofs and page proofs when I started. But anything that passed across my desk didn't leave it until it had two spaces after a full point.

Whether, these days, it matters a damn is a different thing. But if something in print is sufficiently disruptive to the reader then that's an all-round failure.

T.
In reply to Castleman:

Ah, in 2015 I rested, in 2016 I enjoyed a nice sit down twice a day and in 2017 I hope to be enjoying a short walk every now and then.

Thank you for your interest!

T.

> Indeed it is, and different now to the days of galley proofs and page proofs when I started. But anything that passed across my desk didn't leave it until it had two spaces after a full point. Whether, these days, it matters a damn is a different thing. But if something in print is sufficiently disruptive to the reader then that's an all-round failure.T.

Agreed. The latter is the overriding principle. Book design is a beautiful business really.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Is TeX widely used for typesetting (non-mathematical) books?
I used LateX to write my thesis a few years ago and found it most straightforward to use and it handled the most complex of equations with ease. I recall the focus of the program was for the writer to concentrate on the content and leave the typesetting, layout, referencing and numbering to the computer which it managed well.

In reply to richard_hopkins:

I'm talking about commercially published books. There is a host of aesthetic issues that can't be decided by a computer.

krikoman 10 Feb 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Ah! Fowler...!

Robbie or Arfur?
OP Chris Harris 10 Feb 2017
In reply to krikoman:

> Robbie or Arfur?

Mick, surely?
 jcw 10 Feb 2017
Yes. But equally important is that if you are quoting and want to change UC to LC or vice versa because it fits what you are saying better (or any other change for that matter eg spelling of a place from an old fashioned orthography), you indicate the change by putting it in square brackets. "[t]he... ".
 Sean Kelly 10 Feb 2017
In reply to krikoman:
> Robbie or Arfur?

Henry Watson Fowler actually
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Watson_Fowler

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...