UKC

Chamonix off piste / ski tour guidebooks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom W 09 Feb 2017
Hi there,

Heading to Chamonix at the start of April with the intention of skiing / climbing, conditions dependant. I know the area quite well having been a few times climbing as well as skiing - on and off piste, but lift served.

I have lots of climbing guides to the area, but nothing in terms of skiing. I've been thinking about getting a ski specific guidebook, and there seem to be a few available, but I have no idea which is best for my needs / spring conditions. No where local seems to stock them so would be an online purchase and i just want t make sure I'm getting the right one.

Trip ideas / aims - all conditions dependant: ski accessed climbing on the Tacul or similar, Vallee Blanche, Aig Rouges, ski tours, maybe a couple of summits or classic passes. Nothing too hair raising but happy to have early starts, hard days and use a hut or two. Lifts or skins ok.

Skills wise: 12 years skiing, mostly piste, but increasingly off over the last few years. Lakes / Scotland tours, one UCPA off piste course a few years ago, one ski tour trip to Greenland also. Happy on most runs / most conditions, although I hate steep ice. No real steep / narrow gully skiing experience. Climbing up to AD. Lots of glacier travel, including once on skis, and happy to combine skiing and climbing skills.

Guidebook options seem to be the Vamos Mont Blanc Ski Tours, Mont Blanc Freeride, and Mont Blanc Hors Piste. Any one with experience of these, and any idea which fits with my trip the best?

Cheers

Tom
 funalps 10 Feb 2017
In reply to Tom W:

This link to a page on the Alpine Club site might be of interest:
http://www.alpine-club.org.uk/funalps/?page_id=58
 Ben Briggs 10 Feb 2017
In reply to Tom W:
http://www.volopress.net/volo/spip.php?article432

By far the best guide book for skiing in the area. You will find it locally and in English.
Post edited at 22:17
 random_watcher 11 Feb 2017
In reply to Tom W:

The Anselme Baud book Mont Blanc and the Aiguilles Rouges has just be re-printed which is a pretty comprehensive ski guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...