UKC

Perfect pack, until you take it out in winter...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 metrorat 10 Feb 2017
I recently shelled out £150 for what I gathered (on these forums, amongst other places) was the best pack around for winter and alpine climbing, the Arc'teryx FL45. I've been testing it out on Scottish winter climbs and while mostly it has performed very well I have one major issue. The drawstring closure cord has a tendency to become iced at which point the pack is very difficult to open. Even a very small amount of ice seems to impede the opening to the extent where getting it open is akin to releasing an iced-up crampon strap, i.e. a total b*stard. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm considering whether treating the cord with nikwax or shoe goo/seam sealer might help or if I should just return the pack as not fit for purpose. The FL stands for fast and light. It's definitely light but in full-on conditions it's anything but fast. I've contacted Arc'teryx about this problem but I'm yet to hear back. Yesterday I spent a good five minutes trying to open my sack for fresh gloves, I had no expletives left for the actual climbing!
 GarethSL 10 Feb 2017
In reply to metrorat:

I have been using the 35l version for the last 3 winters and have never encountered this problem. Nor anything remotely like it.

In fact, I don't think I have ever had any draw-cord freeze to the point where it couldn't be opened.

Are you pulling the black webbing tab on the cord lock as you open, to release it? Are you tucking the cord neatly into the pack or do you let is hang outside as you climb?
 planetmarshall 10 Feb 2017
In reply to GarethSL:

> I have been using the 35l version for the last 3 winters and have never encountered this problem.

Ditto. I have both the 35L and 25L and have never had this problem in either Scotland or the Alps.
 HeMa 10 Feb 2017
In reply to GarethSL:

> Are you tucking the cord neatly into the pack or do you let is hang outside as you climb?

Me thinks lettin' it flap around.

That said, the Scottish conditions do pose these freezin' problems. Start always below freezing level, add lots of moisture, force gale winds and a tiny amount of sub zero temps... And you end up gettin' about everything frozen solid.

This rarely is the case in the alps, scandinavia or americas.

IPPurewater 10 Feb 2017
In reply to metrorat:

I'd say it is worth a try with Nikwax wash in. You could probably just dilute enough to wet the cord insitu and then let it dry. Also consider a slightly larger cord grip perhaps.
OP metrorat 10 Feb 2017
In reply to GarethSL:

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I pull the tab to release the cord lock, but haven't been tucking the trailing end of the cord back into the pack. I don't have any problems at the start of the day, but even the smallest amount of ice on the cord impedes its passage through the cord lock. Tucking the cord back in after cinching the closure tight did occur to me as a possible solution but seems like it would be right faff. I have the 2016 model, not sure if cord/closure is exactly same as yours. I've also never had a cord freeze to the extent where it wouldn't work either, hence my frustration. It's happened every time I've taken the pack out since I got it which is only three time but it seems to be a recurring issue.
OP metrorat 10 Feb 2017
In reply to IPPurewater:

Yes the cord lock has very little extra clearance when open, which to my mind is a design flaw. Fair enough if it failed due to being totally balled-up, but yesterday the cord was just stiff with some ice flecks visible and was very difficult to release. Guess I'll need to tuck it back in religiously, as I *obviously* should have been doing already. Thanks for the feedback.
 GarethSL 10 Feb 2017
In reply to metrorat:

In which case, as you suggest, the best option is probably some form of proofing. Tedious no doubt, but probably more convenient than trying to get a refund or find a suitable replacement.

As HeMa said, I guess minging wet Scottish winters lead to these kind of problems we don't experience in the colder but drier north.
OP metrorat 10 Feb 2017
In reply to GarethSL:

Yeah it's annoying, I'm going to try and have Arc'teryx replace the cord lock with one with better clearance first of all. An extra mm or two would work I think.
 subtle 10 Feb 2017
In reply to metrorat:

> An extra mm or two would work I think.

I've heard that before.....
 Timmd 10 Feb 2017
In reply to metrorat:

Spraying WD40 onto the cord may help - so that it soaks into it. With my 'green head' on, probably only try it if you have some hanging around, it's not the nicest of substances I gather re it's ecological footprint.
 jonnie3430 10 Feb 2017
In reply to metrorat:

Don't bother with the cord lock, tie a slip knot instead.
 wercat 10 Feb 2017
In reply to metrorat:

no, because I have Aiguille, who supply MRTs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...