UKC

rethreading crampon straps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TomGB 10 Feb 2017
anyone got a secret technique for this? Took a strap off as it was facing the wrong way (don't ask me, know idea how it got like that) intending to rethread it back through the rear bail the right way. However, the slots in the rear bail are ridiculously tight.

Got it through the first slot just about but no way it's going through the second one, given the limited room to manoeouvre and the fatness of the strap.

Am I missing a trick?

merci
 top cat 10 Feb 2017
In reply to TomGB:

I have done this many times with an assortment of different makes: the Grivel slots are very tight. However, never had that much of an issue.

Try pushing a corner through with a knife, and a small pair of pliers to complete the job, or [easier?] melt the end of the strap, pulling a long, thin, semi-solid section with your fingers [care!]

I use Grivel straps for most of my crampons are no other make is so easy to tighten/adjust/slacked wearing gloves. Petzl is the worst: nice nylon strap, but horrible buckles!
 GarethSL 10 Feb 2017
In reply to TomGB:

Try cutting the webbing to a point and melting it flat so it is thinner and wont fray.
 timjones 10 Feb 2017
In reply to TomGB:

> anyone got a secret technique for this? Took a strap off as it was facing the wrong way (don't ask me, know idea how it got like that) intending to rethread it back through the rear bail the right way. However, the slots in the rear bail are ridiculously tight. Got it through the first slot just about but no way it's going through the second one, given the limited room to manoeouvre and the fatness of the strap.Am I missing a trick?merci

I swallowed my pride and asked my wife who made it look easy.

If you're not married you may have to buy new crampons
OP TomGB 10 Feb 2017
In reply to TomGB:

Jesus wept, just about got it. Cut it to a taper, burnt the ends, flattened it under the wardrobe for half an hour, then stabbed it through the hole viciously and repeatedly with a pen knife. It was a frayed, battered mess when it came out the other end.

I may have said some things to my crampons that I now regret and used language that was unhelpful. I can only hope my crampons realise these were said in anger and that we can move forward continuing our previously harmonious partnership.

Thanks for the suggestions. Need to get me one of these wives apparently. Is there a sale on anywhere?
 nufkin 10 Feb 2017
In reply to TomGB:

Is it possible the rear sections just got mixed up? Easier to swap the entire thing round with the other, if so.

Otherwise, I've seen someone enlarge the slots with some screwdriver levering before pushing the webbing through. Not sure if it weakens the plastic or not, but it seemed to work

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...