UKC

Names that your not expecting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Afternoon,

I was sorting car insurance out yesterday and phoned up my present insurer to get the vehicle swapped over .
After reaching the wrong department first off they then put me through to the department that deals with such things and I'm greeted by a young man who introduces
himself as.......

Muhammad Ali

Anyone else had a name given to them that you just thought , did I hear that correctly.

TWS
 planetmarshall 10 Feb 2017
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> Anyone else had a name given to them that you just thought , did I hear that correctly.

When I first heard that Sara Cox had named her son Isaac. Poor sod.

RX-78 10 Feb 2017

if your are dealing with Spanish speaking cultures, getting Jesus on the phone can be fun.
 planetmarshall 10 Feb 2017
In reply to RX-78:

> if your are dealing with Spanish speaking cultures, getting Jesus on the phone can be fun.

"Sorry, it's a bad line, did you just say 'Blessed are the Cheesemakers?'"
 Shani 10 Feb 2017
In reply to RX-78:

> if your are dealing with Spanish speaking cultures, getting Jesus on the phone can be fun.

Reminds me of that joke about the importance of 'context'. If you are in Dublin or Rome, and a man puts his hand on your shoulder and whispers in your ear, "Jesus loves you!", you may well experience a feeling of warmth and comfort.

However, if you are in a Mexican jail and a man puts his hand on your shoulder and whispers in your ear, "Jesus loves you!", it might not be so good.....
 plyometrics 10 Feb 2017

Makes me wonder how on earth Neville Neville got on renewing his car insurance.
 blurty 10 Feb 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

> When I first heard that Sara Cox had named her son Isaac. Poor sod.

I knew someone at primary school called Alexander Mycock, his nick-name was Alec
 Bob Hughes 10 Feb 2017

we work with a corporate law firm called Morrison Foerster which it has chosen to abbreviate its name to MoFo. www.mofo.com

I can't work out whether they are legal geeks trying to be street or just oblivious.
 Pete Dangerous 10 Feb 2017

Lulu Liu at my last firm always raised a smile

There's a young English boxer called Mohammed Ali. I remember seeing an interviewer say it was a bit cheeky that he'd named himself after 'The Greatest"... not twigging that as Mohammed was of Pakistani heritage, the name was highly likely the one he had been born with.
 Hat Dude 10 Feb 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

> When I first heard that Sara Cox had named her son Isaac. Poor sod.

Will she call a daughter Ophelia?
 Postmanpat 10 Feb 2017

Had a client called James Bond.
 kathrync 10 Feb 2017

I was once taking a register at a children's summer camp thing in an area with a large ethnic minority community. I was struggling my way through the list of names anyway, and thought I had this one wrong, but it turned out to be right.

The kid in question was called Genghis Khan.
 Welsh Kate 10 Feb 2017

The student I had called Jane Eyre. You do wonder about parents sometimes.
 Baron Weasel 10 Feb 2017

My mate's parents rescued a dog called Carol Smiley... Since renamed Bella.
In reply to RX-78:

That would make my day
Someone walks in and asks what your up to , you turn around and comment "oh I was just talking to Jesus on the phone"

I once encountered a Merlin. Never learnt the second name.

Andy Farnell 10 Feb 2017

I once taught a lad called Euan Mee...

And F
 wercat 10 Feb 2017

A ski instructor called Richard Turpin
 djwilse 10 Feb 2017

I went to uni with a guy called Richard (Dick) Whittington. At an early lecture the lecturer, thinking someone was trying to be funny, read out the sign in sheet and said 'oh and where is 'Dick Whittington' then? He put his hand up.
 kolkrabe 10 Feb 2017

My mates wife is a teacher somewhere in Fife and had a pupil the other year called "Le-a" (pronounced ledasha). I'd always thought it was an urban legend but apparently not! Maybe the parents took inspiration from it...

I'm sure my mother has a cousin called Campbell Campbell too... madness!
 FactorXXX 10 Feb 2017
In reply to kolkrabe:

I'm sure my mother has a cousin called Campbell Campbell too... madness!

'Campbell Campbell' is bad enough, but 'Campbell Campbell Too' is taken it a bit far!
In fact, wouldn't 'Campbell Campbell Two' make more sense?
 ThunderCat 10 Feb 2017

I had a mate who's surname was 'Kirton' and his mum was called "Anne"

I desperately wanted "Anne" to be short for "Annette", but sadly, it wasn't. How awesome would that have been?

MonkeyPuzzle 10 Feb 2017

I work with a Derren Brown and a Paul McKenna.
 Timmd 10 Feb 2017
Omitting their first names for privacy, a Mr Careless works/worked in a school in Sheffield. I had a tutor called Mr Fussy, and I know of a Mr Tickle.

I'd love to be able get them all in the same room and introduce them to one another.
Post edited at 21:06
 aln 10 Feb 2017
In reply to kolkrabe:

>my mother has a cousin called Campbell Campbell

I used to know an Angus Angus.
 hokkyokusei 10 Feb 2017

I used to work with Jesus. We stayed in touch for several years so I really did "have a friend in Jesus". His mum and dad were nice too.
 wilkie14c 10 Feb 2017

at work i have a tom o'connor, a mel gibson and a gregory peck! (the gregory-peck is a double barrel surname rather than an actual gregory peck but still!)
 johncook 10 Feb 2017

Michael Christopher Hunt was in the year below me at school and Richard John Head in the same year. This was in the late 1950's so they were always called by their full names by everyone. Not until the late 60's did their names become a problem to them. Both took to using their middle names! Unfortunately we didn't.
 Hooo 10 Feb 2017
A colleague came back from his lunchtime Tesco trip sniggering like a schoolboy. The girl on the checkout had a name badge that said "Ramit Deep". We're so peurile that a few of us went there the next day to see for ourselves.
Post edited at 22:47
 Queenie 10 Feb 2017
In reply to Hooo:

Are you sure it wasn't a guy? Idly looked on FB and found one of that name.

*must get out more*
 Crispy Haddock 10 Feb 2017

I sold my house no 25 the same time as the neighbour at no 23.
The two new families were called Mr & Mrs Tickle at no 23 and I sold to Mrs Cocks.

So the two adjoining semis (fa-narr fa-narr) were Tickle-Cocks
 Hooo 10 Feb 2017
In reply to Queenie:

He said it was a woman. I wasn't one of the ones who went to confirm it, so I have to take their word for it.
Still just as funny as a guy's name anyway.
 Hooo 10 Feb 2017

A friend was at school with a boy called Ewan Kerr. Even better, this was in Wales, so his first name was pronounced with two very distinct syllables.
 balmybaldwin 11 Feb 2017

We have a Lady in our Indian office that's called Pooja Pant
 smallclimber 11 Feb 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I had a biology teacher at school called "Mrs Kneebone"
And a student I tutored at university called Loveday Coming.
 deepsoup 11 Feb 2017
In reply to smallclimber:
> I had a biology teacher at school called "Mrs Kneebone"

I used to work (very indirectly) with a chap called Barry Collarbone. I wonder if they're connected in some way.

I had a maths teacher at school called Mr Love who used to race a double kayak with his friend and paddling partner, local GP Dr Darling.
 Gone 11 Feb 2017
In reply to hokkyokusei:

I heard of someone using Uber and getting the message on their phone "Jesus is arriving in a Honda Accord". Seems a bit odd to me - if he was doing the whole Second Coming thing in a vehicle I would have put odds on it being a Prius or an electric car.
 MonkeyPuzzle 11 Feb 2017
My maths teacher at a-level was Mr Daddo-Langlois. Guess what his nickname was.
Post edited at 13:58
 sbc23 11 Feb 2017

There is a guy that works for IST (they make rubber pipe mats that carry the glycol below the ice on toboggan runs and ice rinks) called Dick Kiss

Not Richard - Printed as Dick on his business cards

Just tried to google it - not easy
 Jenny C 12 Feb 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> Omitting their first names for privacy, a Mr Careless works/worked in a school in Sheffield.

He taught me there in the 90's as did Mr Joy. Both good teachers, which is more than I can say for McClure.
 Duncan Bourne 12 Feb 2017

At work the head of our Enterprise team is........wait for it.........

Jim Kirk

I also work with a Neil Armstrong
 Doug 12 Feb 2017
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

He's not posted for a while (although his photos are still in the photo gallery), but there's a Scottish climber /photographer called Rod Stewart. Think Crags made a comment when he had some photos published.
 Welsh Kate 12 Feb 2017

One year we had applications from two wannabe students: one called Bosomworth, the other Titman. We wanted to have them both, purely on the grounds of their surnames, but Bosomworth went elsewhere and we were just left with Tits, as she was affectionately know by her fellow students.
In reply to kolkrabe:

It's always a friend of a friend. It's an urban myth, easily found on snopes and other such places.
 planetmarshall 12 Feb 2017
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> I really did "have a friend in Jesus".

Surely that's his business? Or his friend's?

> I once encountered a Merlin. Never learnt the second name.

On one occasion climbing at Scugdale a few years ago I encountered a very posh woman with two young kids called Merlin and Octavia.
 gethin_allen 12 Feb 2017
At one point I worked with two Dr. Fosters a Peter Piper and a Phill Mitchell.
Edit, just remembered another one, there was a Richard titball talking at a conference I went to.
Post edited at 21:37
 Crispy Haddock 12 Feb 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> One year we had applications from two wannabe students: one called Bosomworth, the other Titman...we were just left with Tits, as she was affectionately know by her fellow students.

I had a Sunday school teacher called Miss Titball. We used to call her Titters (not to her face). She was the local librarian and a really cool lady.
p.s. Hi Kate!

Tony the Blade 13 Feb 2017

At school we had a science (or maybe biology) teacher called Dr Bates, as a child he would have been known as Master bates.

Also, at Lindsey Climbing Club (Grimsby) we had a young chap by the name of Joe Brown.
 Morty 13 Feb 2017

The surgeon who rebuilt my ankle was called Dr Butcher.
My GP's name is Dr Die.
 LastBoyScout 13 Feb 2017

My sister's dentist is Mr Kneebone - always thought he was in the wrong profession.

Where I used to work, Miss Lamb was sat between Mr Hunter and Mr Butcher - probably wasn't going to end well for her.
 Tony the Blade 13 Feb 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Miss Lamb was sat between Mr Hunter and Mr Butcher - probably wasn't going to end well for her.

Spit roast lamb anyone?
 RX-78 13 Feb 2017

I work with a colleague whose name is Tin Tin
 paul-1970 13 Feb 2017

Quite a few years ago in a previous job working in reception in a hotel, I came onto my shift to see, on my list of arrivals, a Mr Crapper was expected. Subsequently a rather harassed looking gentleman walked in, who I knew, before he introduced himself, was bound to be himself. He looked as though he'd had a lifetime of speaking his name and being met with either smirks, laughter or disbelief.

He told me he had a reservation and then spoke his surname before I even asked. Of course I'd had time to steady myself so I simply did the professional welcome routine as if he was plain Mr Smith. He began to fill in his reservation card then looked up as if something wasn't quite right. "People usually laugh when I say my name," he declared.
 zebidee 13 Feb 2017

Over the years I've encountered a few of these ...

In a large Amercian bank I worked for there was:
  • Prince Philip in our Mumbai site

• Randy Bumgardener in an Ohio branch

• When I worked for a large Californian networking company there was:
  • Fern Leaf

• David David

• And my aunt once did have a patient at her GP surgery called Annette Curtain.
     Martin W 13 Feb 2017
    In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> At work the head of our Enterprise team is........wait for it.........Jim Kirk

> I also work with a Neil Armstrong

I'm jealous.

My previous employer had a number of offices in the Far East. It's quite usual for locals in places like Taiwan and South Korea who work for companies headquartered in Europe or the US to choose a Western first name for work purposes, to make things easier for their overseas colleagues. We were delighted to find that Mr Pan had picked the name Peter when he joined our company - especially since we already had a Wendy working the same office.

My Dad swears that the maths text book he used at school was written by one Seymour Legge. (This was pre-WWII: I think in those days you just kept quite about such things, on the grounds that finding it funny said more about you than it did about the person concerned, or their parents.)

At the risk of being accused of spreading another urban legend, a friend of ours who is an obstetric nurse insists that this actually happened to her. According to her a conversation with one new mother went something like this:
    "Have you chosen a name for your new baby daughter yet?"
    "Yes, we've decided to call her Femally."
    "Er...that's an unusual name."
    "Yes, we saw it on the chart for one of the other babies in the unit and we really liked it."
    "How do spell it?"
    "F-E-M-A-L-E."
    IIRC this was supposed to have occurred in a hospital somewhere in Fife. (Or maybe I did just make that bit up.)

In a similar vein - and this happened to my Mum one time when she was supervising a student doing teaching practice in a school in one of the Erewash Valley towns - was the little boy who told her that his name was "Gooey". Spelled G-U-Y.
     Martin W 13 Feb 2017
    In reply to Postmanpat:

> Had a client called James Bond.

I had a colleague of that name many years ago. Unfortunately we worked in different offices and we only ever spoke on the phone - we never had occasion to meet face to face. If he'd ever come to our office I would, of course, had taken great pleasure in greeting him with the words: "Ah, Mr Bond, we've been expecting you."

Just remembered another one: my other half is a dental nurse, and a one point in her career she worked with a dentist named Andrew Peacock. He preferred to be called "Drew". (I believe he still has a dental practice in Leith.)
     Timmd 13 Feb 2017
    In reply to Martin W:
    A person called Zebidee briefly worked for my Dad, he liked to be known as Zeb.

It was funny to hear of people saying 'boing boing' in reference to him if he wasn't there when learning his name.
    Post edited at 14:30
     zebidee 13 Feb 2017
    In reply to Timmd:

> A person called Zebidee briefly worked for my Dad, he liked to be known as Zeb.

That wasn't me.
     Timmd 13 Feb 2017
    In reply to zebidee:

boing boing
     Chris Harris 13 Feb 2017

I used to have a boss called CJ. Sadly, he didn't have a whoopee cushion.

He did say "I didn't get where I am today" quite a lot, though.

Timmd 13 Feb 2017
    In reply to zebidee:

I think there's a few Zebidees around? There's a 'Zeb' radio person on Radio 4.

I knew a guy called Bobby Kerr -- called his son Wayne -- who never forgave him!
     zebidee 13 Feb 2017
    In reply to Timmd:

> I think there's a few Zebidees around?

Yeah - I've been using it on the Internet since Cheeseplant's House back in '91 ... so I reckon I'm one of the first :-P
     jkarran 13 Feb 2017
    In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

> On one occasion climbing at Scugdale a few years ago I encountered a very posh woman with two young kids called Merlin and Octavia.

That'd be the family from Castle Howard.
    jk
     alx 13 Feb 2017

Once upon a time I worked on the NHS chlamydia and gonorrhoea screening programme receiving swabs and urine in the post from teenagers and young adults.

It never failed to amaze me how many Batman's, Robin's, Supermans, Dale Winton's, Virgin Waters etc there were in the UK.

pec 13 Feb 2017
    In reply to blurty:
    > I knew someone at primary school called Alexander Mycock, his nick-name was Alec >

I actually used to teach a lad called Piers Mycock, seriously! WTF were his parents thinking?
    Oh yes, and I also taught another called Andrew Ankers, and he was a complet one.
    Post edited at 23:34
     ben b 14 Feb 2017

I was at uni with the now Dr Crutchlow and the more surreal Dr Anant, and will be lecturing in the De'ath Theatre this afternoon.

I also have a colleague called Dr Love (ENT) and the even more splendid urology trainee (i.e a man accustomed to the tickling of prostates professionally) called Dr Manmeet Singh.

When he gets his surgical exams he'll be back to Mr Manmeet Singh.... which is probably even better

b
     LastBoyScout 14 Feb 2017
    In reply to Martin W:

My Mum used to run the baby clinic at a GP practice - she met some odd-named children.

There is a child (probably teenager now) running around somewhere with the name Starburst - as, apparently, that's what his mother could see in front of her eyes while giving birth.

I worked with a guy called Ben Gotobed many years ago.

there are some funny names of people on bloomberg. here is a list of some of the best..

http://wallstreetjackass.typepad.com/raptureready/2008/01/top-25-bloomber.h...
    damhan-allaidh 14 Feb 2017

A long time ago when I was working back in the US, we had a customer called Heath Row. It was on his credit card, so it must've been true.

My Classics professor was called Rex which I thought was a neat coincidence, now I wonder if he was just making it up.
     Welsh Kate 14 Feb 2017
    In reply to Martin W:

By a bizarre turn of fate, one of my colleagues has just posted up on a certain social media site a newspaper cutting from WW2 referring to an Honourable Member of Parliament named Mr Seymour Cocks
     Pekkie 14 Feb 2017
    In reply to wercat:

> A ski instructor called Richard Turpin

And the lecturer at Liverpool University called Richard Head.
     Big Ger 14 Feb 2017

This guy is not happy;

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQfrLfyAHnf/

Poss NSFW.
     FactorXXX 14 Feb 2017

I got interviewed by a Tomás de Torquemada.
    I wasn't expecting that!
     Sealwife 15 Feb 2017

There was a manager at Debenhams in Aberdeen called James Bond.

My husband had Paul Newman as best man at our wedding. And Paul Newman used to work in a bar with Simon Bates.
     wercat 15 Feb 2017
    In reply to Pekkie:

come to think of it, when I had my first ski trip I ended up trying to do snowploughs on glazed ice in a ski school group in austria that turned out to have the entire Oxford boat race crew, what a laugh! There was a grey haired German couple called Schmidt and hubby was called Helmut
     nniff 16 Feb 2017
    In reply to balmybaldwin:

> We have a Lady in our Indian office that's called Pooja Pant

Let me guess - you work at Allianz in Guildford. My No 2 son also deals with Pooja Pant.

Pooja Pant's existence is thus either corroborated or you're really my son stalking me on UKC!

My sister in law was at University in Florida where she knew a certain Duane Pipe, whose name was unremarkable as the thing is a Down Pipe there. He didn't understand why she kept giggling.
     WildCamper 17 Feb 2017
    I worked with a Vinny Jones a while ago
     DaveHK 17 Feb 2017

Have we done Bishop Cocksworth? Even more amusing given the context.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38994125
     Blue Straggler 17 Feb 2017

I came across a Randy Bush once. As it were

Along the same corridor, Dale Orefice :-o

I don't think there is anything wrong with Octavia as a name. It's been around for a long time.
     Toerag 17 Feb 2017

Randy Angel used to work here, and I dealt with someone overemail called Pinky Judge or Judge Pinky, I could never work out which way round it was.
     Toerag 17 Feb 2017
    > I once encountered a Merlin. Never learnt the second name.

I had a Merlin in my scouts - his dad is a twitcher.
     Martin W 17 Feb 2017

Just remembered another one: at one time I had a Scandinavian colleague called Bengt Persson. Looks innocuous enough written down, but used to raise a titter or two when spoken aloud.
     Crispy Haddock 17 Feb 2017

My friend was a nurse and she had a man in for haemorrhoids. His name was Ivor Pile.

My schoolfriend's nephew was called Neil Armstrong and when the moon landing happened, the toddler made it to the front page of the Yorkshire Evening Post.

All the men I have ever known with "Bot" as the first part of the surname have been called Nick, e.g. Nick Botting, Nick Botsaris etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
    Loading Notifications...