UKC

Should we bother with climbing insurance in the EU?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tlm 11 Feb 2017
Is there any point in us getting climbing insurance for a climbing holiday in the EU?

It used to be cheap and excellent value for money, covering both the possibility of any health care following a climbing accident, and also covering the chance of any damage to expensive kit. However, on our last holiday, our car was broken into, and I was shocked how little it covered. We ended up claiming on our house insurance, which covered it.

We're only doing a bit of sports climbing in Tenerife, so it isn't anything that wild or outlandish.

Given that we can also get health care in the EU at the moment, is it worth us bothering at all, and if so, which should we get?
Andy Gamisou 11 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm

What if you need body repatriation or a medical accompanied flight back to the UK?
nikkormat 11 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm:

Don't bank on free healthcare in other EU countries. As far as I remember, the EHIC entitles you to the same level of healthcare as is provided to citizens of the country you are visiting, which you might have to pay for.

My only experience is Czech Republic; when there was a mix up with my Czech health cover, I asked if my EHIC would cover treatment and was told "no" (it was a minor eye injury, and only cost about £15). A friend with a UK EHIC recently dislocated his arm, and the hospital would not treat him on the EHIC; he was told it would cost £2000 up front.
 Trangia 11 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm:

Reciprocal health cover within the EU is very limited and varies from country to country. It often only covers immediate emergency treatment, and may exclude drugs, ambulance/helicopter transfer to hospital and things like physio, and after care in hospital before you are fit enough to fly home. As others had said repatriation costs aren't included. Bear in mind that if you are badly injured it could be weeks before you are fit enough to fly home, so you will have ongoing medical expenses over and above emergency care. Also some EU counties charge for in hospital food.

You need to find out EXACTLY what your European Health Card entitles you to in Spain before you can make an informed judgement. Don't leave it to chance, it could cost you a bomb......
 99ster 11 Feb 2017
In reply to Scotch Bingington:
"What if you need body repatriation or a medical accompanied flight back to the UK?"

THIS.
Post edited at 18:16
 Rob Exile Ward 11 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm:

Austrian Alpine Club membership covers so much for so little it seems daft not to.
 mhughes 11 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm:
The cost of treatment can get eye watering! I recently saw a patient in clinic who had to have his arm plated in the US, was left with a $35k bill! which the insurance paid for thankfully for him!
I know that's not EU but just illustrates the cost of medical care!
Post edited at 20:26
 Brass Nipples 11 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm:

Helicopter rescue €5,000 , your risk your choice...

stp 11 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm:

I think it largely depends on how long you're going away for. If it's just a few weeks you're unlikely to need it but if it's six months the chances are obviously somewhat higher.

I dislocated my elbow whilst in Germany many years ago. They fixed it for me (sort of). Some weeks/months later I got a bill through the post for the treatment. I was pissed off since I'd never been told I would have to pay and ended up not paying anyway - couldn't afford it.
 JEF 11 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm:

> We're only doing a bit of sports climbing in Tenerife, so it isn't anything that wild or outlandish.Given that we can also get health care in the EU at the moment, is it worth us bothering at all, and if so, which should we get?

Are the Canary Islands actually EU? I know they're Spanish but isn't our customs entitlement different when traveling to/from?
I'm not sure, but I'd worry about not being insured either way.
 Jenny C 11 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm: as mentioned above check out AAC membership. Not insurance in so many words but will cover the essential (and expensive) stuff such as medical S&R and repatriation.

Really pisses me off when you get appeals on TV for public donations to get people home when it was their own choice to travel uninsured.

Trangia 12 Feb 2017
In reply to JEF:

> Are the Canary Islands actually EU?

Yes
 Dave in Kendal 12 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm:

One thing to consider is it could happen that an ambulance could take you to a private hospital without you realising it rather than a public hospital. We had a serious car accident in Benidorm some years ago and the ambulance took us to the private hospital in Benidorm rather than the public hospital in Denia. You are usually too shocked to notice. Fortunately we had travel insurance which covered it.
OP tlm 12 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm:

Thanks for the advice. I'm quite surprised by the level of risk aversion among climbers! But I followed your advice and got snowcard insurance as it seemed the best value.

cheers!
 iccle_bully 12 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm:

Climbing isn't about avoiding risk, it's about managing risk.
 David Coley 12 Feb 2017
In reply to Scotch Bingington:

> In reply to tlmWhat if you need body repatriation or a medical accompanied flight back to the UK?

if it is "body repatriation" it all sounds a bit late.
 WillRobertson 12 Feb 2017
In reply to David Coley:

Someone's got to pay for it, want that to be your parting gift to family?
 springfall2008 12 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm:

Do you need climbing insurance or just a holiday insurance that covers some dangerous sports (including climbing)?
 David Coley 12 Feb 2017
In reply to WillRobertson:

> Someone's got to pay for it, want that to be your parting gift to family?

Fair point. I was just highlighting the difference between this, and normal repatriation, where, if you are in need of serious medical attention during the journey, costs can be very high.
 planetmarshall 12 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm:

> Thanks for the advice. I'm quite surprised by the level of risk aversion among climbers!

Really? What did you think the ropes were for?

Brass Nipples 12 Feb 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Really? What did you think the ropes were for?

Bell ringing. Climbing and campanology
 Timmd 13 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm:

> Thanks for the advice. I'm quite surprised by the level of risk aversion among climbers! But I followed your advice and got snowcard insurance as it seemed the best value.cheers!

I guess climbers can take out insurance and then go soloing too?

Such are the quirks of human nature...

Duncan Bourne 13 Feb 2017
In reply to WillRobertson:

My Dad's brother died in Spain several years ago and is still there. He loved the place and it was the cheaper option
 pavelk 13 Feb 2017
In reply to nikkormat:
I think you can ask money you paid for treatment at your British insurance provider. I had the same problem in Austria and my Czech (public) insurance company paid me the bill back.
There is a claim for it because of reciprocal health cover
Post edited at 09:49
 stubbed 13 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm:

The Canary Islands might be in the EU but there's no VAT so I am a bit confused actually.

Anyway - medical insurance, yes, for all the reason above.
Baggage / cancellation insurance: I didn't bother for climbing trips, I have household insurance which covered some of it. On climbing trips I tended to camp or do something cheap and travel with minimal clothes.

With my family - I do bother, because I can't expect them to sleep rough in an airport or somewhere if our flight is cancelled.
 proandras 13 Feb 2017
In reply to Trangia:

For example, in Hungary, the general social insurance do not cover the extreme sport accidents, inclouding the climbing in grade UIAA V or upper.
 nutme 13 Feb 2017
In reply to nikkormat:

> Don't bank on free healthcare in other EU countries. As far as I remember, the EHIC entitles you to the same level of healthcare as is provided to citizens of the country you are visiting, which you might have to pay for.

Two year ago friend injured his knee in Poland. Good thing he was still able to ski down slowly. Xrays and doctors were free, but we had to buy cast for him and drugs. Set us back by 100 euros.

This Christmas I took a big fall and broke ankle in Mallorca. Was able to rappel and managed to make my way on 3 limbs back to the car crawling in dry river bed for two hours. At last section we met another climbing party. One of them was local firefighter and helped a lot! Thanks Pepe (you are not reading this, but you are my hero)! It was super close to situation we would need to call for helicopter. We had insurance, but without one it would cost from 3k euros.
In hospital I got the cast for free and was offered to have a surgery on next day, but decided to fly back to UK and have ankle operated here. Funny thing first aid and surgery are covered by ETHIC, but crouches I had to buy for 24 euros!

In both recent cases ETHIC covered first aid. But that's where it stops. Get insurance
 elsewhere 13 Feb 2017
In reply to the thread:
Based only on my recollection of an insurance document...

insurance excludes what is covered by EHIC, so make sure you have to have EHIC.

timjones 13 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm:
> Thanks for the advice. I'm quite surprised by the level of risk aversion among climbers! But I followed your advice and got snowcard insurance as it seemed the best value.cheers!

Unless we're soloing we all place gear to mitigate the risk of injury, why on earth wouldn't we use insurance to mitigate against the costs of an injury and treatment?
Post edited at 15:07
 Jenny C 13 Feb 2017
In reply to elsewhere:
I have also had travel policies where if you have an EHIC and this reduces the cost of treatment, they will waive the policy excess on medical claims.

Might also be worth reminding people that the EHIC is free: https://www.gov.uk/european-health-insurance-card
Post edited at 17:00
 krikoman 13 Feb 2017
In reply to tlm:

You could say the same about car insurance, but I'd bet most of us here have it, those that drive at least.
 Jim 1003 17 Feb 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> Helicopter rescue €5,000 , your risk your choice...

Mountain rescue is free in most EU Alpine countries, unless you are in a ski resort.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...