UKC

Finger injury advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jasonpather 12 Feb 2017
Hi all,

While pulling on a pocket i felt something give on my right hand. There was no intense pain, just an uncomfortable slight pain. It seems to be ok when using jugs and open handed holds but I can't crimp without it feeling like i am doing some serious damage. I also can't perform simple tasks like brushing my teeth with that hand as that involves me closing my grip. I feel the pain/sensation in the centre of my palm and not my fingers. Maybe a slight pain in my ring finger (which is the finger affected i think).

What i would like to know is what i have pulled, how long it takes to heal and any other advice which might be useful for me.

Thanks

Jason
 alx 12 Feb 2017
In reply to jasonpather:
Hi Jason,

Is the pain still coming from the palm beneath the finger? By any chance does the pain occur when the pinky and ring finger are curled under when the index and middle finger are engaged as in pulling on a pocket or dragging a crimp?

Ice and rest it under more is known!

Also check out Tim's reply to this post:
https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=656961
Post edited at 16:30
jasonpather 12 Feb 2017
In reply to alx:

Thanks, I think thats it. That doesn't sound fun. A year of taping.
 luke glaister 12 Feb 2017
In reply to jasonpather:

Hi mate. I did this when feet slipped on slate with fingers cammed In a crack. Felt something happen but nothing to stop me finishing off the route. Once back down I had a slight lump about an inch lower than the finger.(Ring finger right hand) stopped climbing completely for 3 weeks. I just couldn't do any longer. In them 3 weeks I ice bathed it every night for 15 to 20 mins. Slowly opening and closing the hand wile submerged. Then let it warm up room temperature still doing the odd open close movement. The first night back in was on jugs ladders and feeling no pain I tried a route with a crimp and felt some discomfort so let go and rested. Ice again when home. I then never went past 6b for a month and it was feeling good. After 4 month I was back to normal. It's funny u say about brushing the teeth. Mine would tweek when drying with a towel. Lol. Just listen to the body. It knows best. Hope it's not anything else. Good luck.
Luke.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...