UKC

Rjukan - Conditions today Sunday 12.02.2017

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jimmccall 12 Feb 2017

Hello,
Arrived yesterday and climbed at Krokan today. Thinner than last year but still plenty to go at. We climbed at WI2 to WI5 and barely scratched the surface. Last night was about -15C overnight and the ice was hard there this morning. I spoke to a local who climbed Bølgen today and said it was more like WI4+ as it was a little lean and some pitches were steeper than usual. I asked about Kvittåa. He said some friends had climbed it and 'it was ok'.
We are here for a few more days, I will try and post again... any specific queries and I will do my best to find out.
Regards,
Jim
Post edited at 18:54
 Hidden 13 Feb 2017
In reply to jimmccall:

Thanks for the post.

I would be really keen to hear your experiences of the conditions today (monday) as it looks to get warm.

I'm arriving in Rjukan at the end of the week and trying to work out what effect the warm forecast will have on routes.

Cheers
OP jimmccall 13 Feb 2017
In reply to Hidden:

Hello,
Another cold night, -7C but a warmer day... I climbed at Bølgen, Kvitåa was in condition and fair. Another team in our party climbedTjønnstadbergfossen at Rjukan centre and said that conditions were fair to good... fair at the start but better as the sun hit it and the temperature rose slightly, giving better ice which didn't fracture. There was a lot of debris from parties above and some of the ice on the right near the top pitch. Others in the hostel climbed at Krokan, and the Upper Gorge, and all reported good climbing. Again, lots to go at and no one disappointed at the hostel tonight.
Regards,
Jim
 Hidden 13 Feb 2017
In reply to jimmccall:

Thanks for the update, much appreciated!!
 ekampp 13 Feb 2017
Hi @jimmccall, thanks for the talk and the beer.

I hope you guys got to climb some great ice while you where there!

OP jimmccall 13 Feb 2017
In reply to ekampp:
You are very welcome. Always happy to share a few beers! We are having a great time thanks, and all of us are going to Ozzi tomorrow. Our last day... we have some plans...
Regards,
Jim
OP jimmccall 14 Feb 2017
In reply to jimmccall:

Hello,
Went to Ozzimosis today. The routes were a bit wet, and there was a fair amount of debris lying around mainly from the ice up to the right of Ozzimosis. It was -9C overnight and the ice was fair but a little brittle this morning. We went to Krokan in the afternoon and some of the routes were a little thinner than Sunday. Still plenty of climbing though. Heading home tomorrow. No more posts...
Regards,
Jim
 Pay Attention 14 Feb 2017
In reply to jimmccall:

Thank you for putting out the conditions report. It's been really helpful to know what it's like out there.
 Patrick G 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Pay Attention:
Climbed Krokan on Friday , most routes climbable and in ok condition, Ozzimosis on Sunday, all routes good.Tuseday climbed Sabotorfossen, good condition,and Vemorkbrufoss Ost , a bit wet on top half but fine to cimb. Wednesday climbed Juvsoyla , thin ice over rocks on first pitch, pillar very featured but ice in ok condition. Mates climbed Bakvien today, thin but enjoyable. Trarpfoss looks fine, Nye vermorkfoss not formed to the ground, Fabrikfossen looks good. Svingfoss is good. Heard reports that Kong Vinter is in good condition.
Hope this helps, PG
OP jimmccall 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Pay Attention:

Home now... but just for the record, it was -10C outside the Old School hostel this morning at 10am (according to the VW temp. indicator when we were loading the car)... it never got above -2C until we entered Sweden... Another clear morning...
Regards,
Jim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...