UKC

Stob Coire an Laoigh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MSchobitz 13 Feb 2017
Bike recommended for walk in according to book & UKC. How long is it without one? Can it be driven with a car at the moment?

Cheers
 allanscott 13 Feb 2017
In reply to MSchobitz:

It's a fair old hike even from the car parking place up the track from Spean Bridge. Whatever you do, do not try to use the old tramway (it's grim and all the bridges are down making for staccato progress) and watch out for a new access track which is NOT the correct line either. Make sure you go right through the forest before turning up by the wee dam. From there it's still a long way to the summit over Beinn na Socaich and even further to go eastwards to Stob Coire a Chlaurigh. I'd recommend an early start as, if my memory is correct, I took at least seven hours and that was in snowless, mild conditions with good visibility.
 DaveHK 13 Feb 2017
In reply to MSchobitz:
> Bike recommended for walk in according to book & UKC. How long is it without one? Can it be driven with a car at the moment?Cheers

As of last winter there was a new gate with a very shiny new padlock stopping people from driving up to the dam as described in the guide. This is likely to be a permanent addition. We biked in, left the bikes at the dam and walked from there. It was pretty much snowless and took the best part of 3 hrs in total. It is possible to go wrong riding to the dam as I don't think all the tracks are marked accurately.
Post edited at 15:29
OP MSchobitz 13 Feb 2017
In reply to MSchobitz:

Thanks for the info guys. Who doesn't love a nice long walk in
 DaveHK 13 Feb 2017
In reply to MSchobitz:

> Thanks for the info guys. Who doesn't love a nice long walk in

That crag is surely going to be quieter as a result. The routes are good but a 3hr approach for 2 pitches is maybe more than many want to do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...