UKC

Today not at the test: Captain Root

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ianstevens 13 Feb 2017
So, in the worst kept secret in the past 12 months, Joe Root's inevitable ascension to England captinacy is confirmed. What's the general take on this from the UKC cricketing crowd?
 LG-Mark 13 Feb 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

I'm not keen on the appointment, i think as he's such a special player captaincy for him may be a burden the team could do without. I rather hoped Stuart Broad would be given the nod, at least in the short term.

Of course, he may thrive on the captaincy and i'll happily be proved wrong.....
 earlsdonwhu 13 Feb 2017
In reply to LG-Mark:

I agree. I fear it may detract from his own batting performances but don't see realistic alternatives.
 Big Ger 13 Feb 2017
In reply to ianstevens:
Looks like they are doing the same as Aus did with Stevie Smith, starting him relatively young, giving him a good chance to bed in, so as to have a long period in the job.

He had a good knock in the Big Bash league here this season.

I'll be seeing a couple of Ashes matches here this year, look forward to seeing how he gets on.
Post edited at 20:13
 ad111 13 Feb 2017
In reply to ianstevens:
I agree with the first few comments, especially if we look at what has happened to some of the batsmen after they were made captain.
Post edited at 21:47
OP ianstevens 13 Feb 2017
In reply to ad111:

Thought this may the sentiment but didn't want to lead people on hence the ambiguity in the thread opener. I think it's a case of the ECB seeting themselves up for a descision they didn't want to have to make for the next two years, and suddenly having to make it. As our best batsmen over the past four years, I think England will loose out big-time from putting extra pressure onto Root.

Having said that... what were the other options? Wouldn't have been keen on Broad (who it seems think everything that hits pad is LBW, unless its own - goodbye reviews) but few other suggestions IMO. Happy to be proved wrong of course!
 Big Ger 13 Feb 2017
In reply to earlsdonwhu:
> I agree. I fear it may detract from his own batting performances but don't see realistic alternatives.

That's happening with Stevie Smith.
Post edited at 22:27
In reply to ianstevens:

He's been a captain 3 times only before now ! So the ECB obviously don't value captaincy. They are the biggest danger to English cricket but we all know that don't we ?
Great if it works out but what a risk........I'd rather have a proper captain with a proven record.
 ben b 14 Feb 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

As a reductionist rule of thumb, newly minted captains either (a) relish the challenge and increase their average for a period of 1-3 years before starting to wane away as the pressure builds and opportunties to 'decompress' become increasingly rare, or (b) have a 'mare and just grind on until they resign or get ousted, as they rarely flourish late on in a captaincy career.

Root I think is likely to be in the former camp - his previous captaincy experience has been slim and a while ago (and not particularly good!) but he has some wise heads in the team around him and seems able to shrug off most issues quite well - a certain teflon coating is always handy in test cricket. Compare him to Kane Williamson: not a dissimilar batsman but much less animated and involved. KW is so 'in his bubble' it's not always clear that he's noticed he's the captain, and that others will look to him for leadership (see also Ross Taylor as opposed to Brendan McCullum).

I think JR will play nicely for about 2 years and then, as usual, the press will get bored and start saying "he's gone without a big score for x matches and the pressure is building" - which is always an excellent way to build pressure when there really isn't any. The big thing in his favour is that he won't be subjected to the constant "bring back KP" harping that Cook had to endure through little fault of his own.

b
 ad111 14 Feb 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

To be fair to Broad when I am bowling or fielding I also think that anything hitting the pad is LBW and am just as certain when I am batting that if it hits my pad it was definitely going down leg.
 WillRobertson 14 Feb 2017
In reply to LG-Mark:

I think the issue with Broad is that he's a fast bowler, with not many years left. Hence as we have seen recently with him (and even more so Jimmy) he's going to pick up lots of niggles and miss Tests or just be rested. This isn't ideal, it's probably better to have someone who will be on the pitch 95% of the time rather than 75%.

I reckon Root will do well, he seems to perform well under pressure. Also having been on the pitch with Kohli so much recently he may take inspiration from him and only get better and better as skipper... Here's hoping anyway!
 Big Ger 14 Feb 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

[off topic] I'm off to see the PM's XI vs Sri Lanka tonight, should be a good match. Slinger Malinga's playing!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/cricket/malinga-the-slinger-back-to-p...

[/off topic]
 GrahamD 15 Feb 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

To be honest I think it was a no brainier. I know people worry about what it might do for his batting but recent history for both England and other countries doesn't bear it out. Vaughn is the only recent batsman to lose form
 ad111 16 Feb 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Malinga was one of my favorite bowlers for years. I got to see him bowl against Australia years ago - brilliant!
OP ianstevens 16 Feb 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

In the words of Matthew Wade.... Niiiiiiiicee Gaaarrrrrrrry

(Good pics, the fact that you haven't managed to get his arm without motion blur sums up just how quick near-top level bowlers are)
 Big Ger 17 Feb 2017
In reply to ianstevens and ad1`11:

Thanks, and yes, he's quick!

He's been called up again for the 3 T:20 matches they are playing here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...