UKC

How did you meet your partner?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 14 Feb 2017
As it's Valentine's Day, I though I would ask how you met your partner. As it's a climbing forum, I don't mind if it's your romantic partner, climbing partner or indeed if they are the same person.
 wercat 14 Feb 2017
In reply to The New NickB:

Glenbrittle Youth Hostel, taking refuge after a storm destroyed my own and lots of other people's tents
 MG 14 Feb 2017

I met my wife trying to get a modem to work - the beding beding type. Very romantic.
 wilkie14c 14 Feb 2017

grinder
 Tony the Blade 14 Feb 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

> grinder

You tease... did you mean Grind her or Grindr?

I met our lass at the Relate marriage guidance centre (Rugby), I was married to someone else at the time! True story
 wilkie14c 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Tony the Blade:

I went round a mates house for a cuppa and while i was there he said his mrs' friend up the road wanted him to slot some new fence panels in and that i should help him simply to cop an eyeful of this friends fantastic pair of lady lumps. I didn't need asking twice!
that was 9 years ago, been married for 4 next month.
Still not done the fence panels
 wercat 14 Feb 2017

Eh?

Moley 14 Feb 2017

Our local village karate club - a long time ago.
 neilh 14 Feb 2017

Office christmas party .. cliched. Except I was a guest.Happy days.
 graeme jackson 14 Feb 2017

I was a scout leader - she was a cub leader. dated for several years then married in 1987.
 Doug 14 Feb 2017
Small hotel in the southern French Alps run by a guide & his wife which at the time ran very good nordic skiing courses. Sat at the same table as a woman from Paris for dinner a couple of evenings, something clicked, & 14 years later are still together.
Post edited at 10:21
 JIMBO 14 Feb 2017

On the beach... I like to think it was a Daniel Craig or Mr Darcey moment for her as I walked in from the shallows.
 Phil Anderson 14 Feb 2017

Arranged on-line to go climbing together at Swanage. She ate my Twix while I was setting up the ab-rope and blamed it on a seagull. Still denies it to this day (almost 6 years on). Got to admire that kind of audacity.
 JJL 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Doug:

> Small hotel in the southern French Alps run by a guide & his wife which at the time ran very good nordic skiing courses. We ended up sitting at the same table a couple of evenings, something clicked, & 14 years later are still together.

You married both of them?
 girlymonkey 14 Feb 2017

I was working at an outdoor centre when he was there on a gap year after finishing school. If we had got together then it would have been illegal and weird! Started going out a few years later after he had visited me in the Swiss alps where I was working for a ski season. Legal by then! Lol
 Doug 14 Feb 2017
In reply to JJL:

The perils of typing while on the telephone
cb294 14 Feb 2017

University.

CB
 lummox 14 Feb 2017

Dating site... a long time before Tinder.
 johnjohn 14 Feb 2017
In reply to MG:

> I met my wife trying to get a modem to work - the beding beding type. Very romantic.

Bedding bedding's the best type (unless you mean met your wi fi)
 johnjohn 14 Feb 2017
In reply to graeme jackson:

> I was a scout leader - she was a cub leader. dated for several years then married in 1987.

Dib dib dib? Dob dob dob!

(I've no idea what that means.)
 the sheep 14 Feb 2017

I first met my wife at Uni, it was freshers week and I was taking another lass back to her room for a druknen fumble. 3 years later we eventually got together and that's been that for the last 20 years
 hokkyokusei 14 Feb 2017

I was fishing.
paulcarey 14 Feb 2017

We briefly spoke on line dating website, he disappeared for 6 months, got back in contact and then bumped into each other at a garden centre. Went out on a date and the last 12 years is history.....
 Tall Clare 14 Feb 2017

Online dating, via a site called 'Fitness Singles'. At the time I was looking for a climber, he was looking for a triathlete, he doesn't climb (nor do I, any more...), I don't triathle, but we're about to celebrate 7 years together.
 Oogachooga 14 Feb 2017

Under a bridge

I went to a mate of a mates BD drinks in a pub in Kilburn. My future wife was working behind the bar.
 gribble 14 Feb 2017

Strangely, I won my lovely wife in a pub quiz.
Rigid Raider 14 Feb 2017

She placed a personal ad in The Sunday Times, mentioning "snow, sea and mountains". I ringed it then put the paper down and forgot it then picked it up a couple of days later. I often wonder what would have happened if I hadn't bought the paper that day, hadn't read the personals, hadn't spotted that ad and hadn't gone back to it a couple of days later. Our lovely son would never have existed; I find that notion quite distressing.
 climbingpixie 14 Feb 2017

In a disused quarry - Hodge Close to be precise. He took some photos of me fannying around on Through The Looking Glass and we chatted at the top. He sent me an email through UKC the following day and we arranged to go climbing together. That was 8.5 years ago and we're still together and still climbing partners
 johncook 14 Feb 2017

The perils of the demon drink whilst on a business skiing holiday!
Got rid of the wife but still ski! Life is good!
OP The New NickB 14 Feb 2017

I found myself in my mid-thirties and separated from my wife, decided to try a few dating websites, met some nice people and some interesting people, even some nice interesting people, but nothing that really came to anything.

Around the time of my separation I joined a running club and made a lot of new friends. One of those people is now my girlfriend of 4 and a half years, but it took nearly two years of friendship, partly through me getting my head in the right place, to evolve in to more than friendship. Although we met in a fairly conventional way, we used Twitter a lot and looking back at the conversations, you can see the relationship evolving.

She is not a climber, in fact she is scared of heights, but she loves the hills and mountains from a fell running perspective, so we have shared that despite the fact that I have climbed much less over recent years. She has however started bouldering recently, something her daughter has been doing for a few years and this year we will be going to Font, a first for all of us.
 Chris the Tall 14 Feb 2017

Through work - I was trying to make her redundant

University. Lancaster University, to be precise. Fylde College, to be specific (though I believe that Fylde College as it existed in 1982 has been knocked down, which is perhaps no bad thing). Someone who knew me and the chap I shared a room with (a guy called Paul Bateman, sadly no longer with us) said that he thought my room mate and I would get on with a pair of girls from another block in the college, so we went over and introduced ourselves.

It was 35 years ago this Thursday that we first, well I'm sure you can guess. After various relationship ups, downs and living together since 1986, we finally got married in 2012.

I have no idea what became of the chap that first suggested that my room mate and I would get on with those two girls but he was right.

T.
 fimm 14 Feb 2017

On Match.com, nearly 10 years ago.
We're getting married in October.
 LastBoyScout 14 Feb 2017

Internet dating, after exhausting all the usual avenues of meeting someone.

We're married with 2 young kids.
 Nevis-the-cat 14 Feb 2017

She was my defence barrister. I'd been nicked for stealing an owl costume in a house burglary.

The owner chased me down the road and I beat him to a mushy pulp with a copy of Tapirs Monthly.

We've been together 5 years. I sent her a card but the mail out of Armley is a bit hit and miss and I think it might breach the injunction.
 Yanis Nayu 14 Feb 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

> I went round a mates house for a cuppa and while i was there he said his mrs' friend up the road wanted him to slot some new fence panels in

Good euphemism!

and that i should help him simply to cop an eyeful of this friends fantastic pair of lady lumps. I didn't need asking twice!that was 9 years ago, been married for 4 next month.Still not done the fence panels

Yanis Nayu 14 Feb 2017

Conventional manner - drunkenly lurching up to her in a pub and asking for her phone number. That was in 1989.
 Tony the Blade 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Conventional manner - drunkenly lurching up to her in a pub and asking for her phone number. That was 1989.

Must have been a while ago, that's a very short phone number.
 climbEdclimb 14 Feb 2017

Met my girlfriend in a climbing wall I was (and occasionally still do) work at. She was climbing with another guy who worked there and he (for some reason) introduced me to her. She couldn’t speak a word of English (she’s French), however for some unknown reason I somehow managed to suggest we go and climb together.

A year and a half later and she speaks excellent English, my French is still terrible, but we go on as many trips as we can and I’ve even managed to get her doing a bit of trad.
 JuanTinco 14 Feb 2017

I'm normally against valentines day posts, but am quite enjoying reading this.

I had just finished the Raid Marche towards the end of my initial training, and as is common a lot of the locals come out and watch. I saw this beautiful women waving at us.

Never saw her again, so married the girlfriend i'd left at home instead.

Juan
 Trangia 14 Feb 2017

I once met a girlfriend when I walked in on her whilst she was sitting on the toilet in a restaurant whist I was on a skiing holiday in Nevada! She had forgotten to lock the door. She and her cousin had been sitting at a table quite near us. When she came back up again I went over to apologise, and she said it was her fault. We had a good laugh and after diner I offered to buy her a drink at the bar. After that we had a good relationship which lasted a couple of years, but unfortunately as we were both well into our careers, it was a relationship which was doomed from the start as neither of us wanted t give up our jobs and move to the other's country. Anyway we had a great two years spending 3/4 holidays with each other each year, but long distance relationships are hard to sustain the real winners were Virgin Atlantic and Delta Airlines!
 nniff 14 Feb 2017

I was in the Army in Germany having recently been dumped. I was due to go to Canada in a few days and was sorting though a mass of kit in the corridor. My best mate walked down the corridor, followed by his new girlfriend/my wife-to-be . All three of us went out to dinner and WTB and I got on rather well. I duly went off to Canada. Some weeks later, I was sitting in a very small armoured car in the middle of absolutely nowhere, when in the far distance there appeared a plume of dust. It drew closer: the Sergeant Major handed over some mail and set off for the opposite horizon. There was a letter for me from WTB. I read it through, at which point my driver said "Go on, Boss, read us the sports pages". Might as well I thought. I duly read them out and asked if he thought I was in with a chance. Turns out he was right. That was 1987, and we're still married (WTB and me, not the driver).
 Rob Exile Ward 14 Feb 2017
In reply to gribble:

What was the first prize?

On a Saturday night out at the Duck Bay Marina - on the Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond. My mate and I got chatting to these 2 girls who were drinking pints of lager - and we thought it would be a cheap night - then they went on to Dark Rum and Blackcurrants!

Had a long distance engagement for a couple of years - she in Scotland, me on Tyneside.

She doesn't like Rum and Black anymore, and only drinks lager in Spain or France - though they call it Cerveza or Biere over there!

Still together after 45 years of marriage.
 Carless 14 Feb 2017

At the Sobell climbing wall

2 cute French girls with very basic English asked if I could point out where the climbing in England was... on a London tube map

Invited them over to the pub, was showing round some photos of a trip I'd just got back from and one of them says "Hey! that's Cuenca - my Dad's from there"

That was in 1989
damhan-allaidh 14 Feb 2017
In reply to MG:
Your wife will be fascinated by this. The story I've heard from her is completely different.
Post edited at 16:54
 Nic 14 Feb 2017

Not my partner, but it's an excuse to tell the story, as she might well have been had I not been already married! Anyway, I was sitting belaying at the bottom of Neddyfields when this very attractive foreign lady walks up, guidebook in hand the way you do when you're looking for a route, and proceeds to deliver the priceless line: "I'm looking for Three in a Bed (6a)"!

True story!
 Duncan Bourne 14 Feb 2017

UKC!!!

We started chatting on line. Then met up to go climbing. I wasn't a date. Got married after 6 months.
12 years later and we are still married
Removed User 14 Feb 2017

She was workin' as a waitress in a cocktail bar when I met her, I picked her out, I shook her up and turned her around, turned her into someone new. Now five years later on she's got the world at her feet, success has been so easy for her
but don't forget, it's me who put her where she is now, and I can put her back down too.
Removed User 14 Feb 2017

She was workin' as a waitress in a cocktail bar when I met her, I picked her out, I shook her up and turned her around, turned her into someone new. Now five years later on she's got the world at her feet, success has been so easy for her
but don't forget, it's me who put her where she is now, and I can put her back down too.
 wilkie14c 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Removed User:

nice work sir
 Bimble 14 Feb 2017

5 years ago, working a Christmas job at Waterstone's after we'd both graduated. Hit it off at work, got together at a particularly tequila fueled Christmas party, and we've spent today ring shopping for our wedding in May.

She's not a bad belayer, but still insists on climbing a grade better than me...
 Chris the Tall 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Removed User:

> it's me who put her where she is now, and I can put her back down too.

Always thought that was a rather nasty lyric !!

Escher 14 Feb 2017

She posted on here (UKC) in 2004 looking for a similar forum dedicated to trekking in Nepal that she could visit, I directed her to TrekInfo.com which I sometimes moderate. A year later we had a problem on TrekInfo with a creepy guy looking for solo female travellers. She Pm'ed me to express concerns about the creepy guy and we eventually got chatting via email, fell in love without having met before getting together 6 months later (with an intervening story that would make Jerry Springer's hair curl or he would give us a one hour special).

We only realised much later on that it was actually me that set the whole affair off by replying to her request to be pointed to a Nepal forum as that was where the affair began a year after she originally asked, neither of us knew that the other was the one that asked or responded originally on UKC. Had I not done then we may have never met. We're still happily together 12 years later.
 Loughan 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Escher:
> We only realised much later on that it was actually me that set the whole affair off by replying to her request to be pointed to a Nepal forum as that was where the affair began a year after she originally asked, neither of us knew that the other was the one that asked or responded originally on UKC.

And the creepy guy, was that you as well?
Post edited at 18:15
 Escher 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Loughan:

Ha ha no, not the original one anyway!
cb294 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

What do you expect of 80s synthie wankers?

CB
 Tom Valentine 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

But not a patch on

If her daddy's rich, take her out for a meal,
If her daddy's poor, just do what you feel....
 Yanis Nayu 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> Must have been a while ago, that's a very short phone number.

Good work)))
 alan moore 14 Feb 2017

Queueing for Scavenger at Three Cliffs on a roasting hot Easter Day in 2002.
 Big Ger 14 Feb 2017

On a forum not dissimilar to this one.
sebastian dangerfield 14 Feb 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

Early school leaver!?
 Dave the Rave 14 Feb 2017

At Starlights in Keswick after a day on the hills and a quick scuttle up a route at Shepherds.
9 pints around town, bar meal then a boogie.
Trapped her first class and got to stay in her hotel.
Me mate Whisky was well chuffed as he got a sleeping bag to himself.
Boxer Steve got arrested as he lost his jumper in the club!
A class night oot
 nathan79 14 Feb 2017

Loving this topic. Some wonderful tales.

I met mine at a colleague's wedding. I'd requested she sit me next to someone hot and single. Ejoying a pre-ceremony pint with a workmate I watched 3 lovely girls step out of a taxi and walk in to the venue. I exchanged a smile with one of them walking to my car to head for the reception venue.

Fast forward an hour or two sat down at teh meal, and who's seated next to me but the smiler. Happily chatted away to her for most of the night, though I did refuse all of her many requests for me to dance (unlike all my colleagues, I was driving and therefore sober as a judge). Despite my lack of Dutch courage, at the end of the night I managed to ask for her number before she headed for the coach and I for my car. I can almost perfectly recall the bumbling Hugh Grant-eqsue moment (acting-wise, nothing to do with acts from ladies of the night).

After a few weeks of text exchanges she asked me out first (though to this day she'll never admit it) and we had date 1 a month after the wedding meeting. 4.5 years down the line now.
 BAdhoc 14 Feb 2017

At a pancake party!
 Lurking Dave 15 Feb 2017

Where we met..

20:36-39 4th December 1998, under the Tahomoa Street bridge, San Francisco, USA. (it helps when you are getting on a pre-booked coach, even if it is a hippy bus down to Mexico...)

We went to Tijuana, held hands, drank good tequila, and then cheap bad tequila. Love?
We met later back in Europe, turns out that truths make things complicated.
We didn't speak for 8 years. Ex BFs screening emails are to be avoided
I'd moved country, we met again, traveled lots, she moved hemisphere, we still go places.
Married later. She is a good egg.

Cheers
LD
 jkarran 15 Feb 2017

Old fashioned internet dating. She said a hurried goodbye and literally ran away without further ado just before midnight on our first date as if fearing she might turn into a pumpkin. I sadly figured that was that and wandered home wondering what I'd done wrong. At home was the email explaining: nothing, she was having fun but midnight marked the start of her birthday and she didn't want to be celebrating her birthday with a stranger. I didn't get it then or now and the ensuing seven years have been comparably puzzling but it works
jk
 Tony the Blade 15 Feb 2017
In reply to jkarran:

> Old fashioned internet dating.

Since when did the internet, let alone internet dating become old fashioned?

Old fashioned is a young lady at a dance, taking dance requests from suitable young men and noting them in her little red book... that's old fashioned!!!
 JJL 15 Feb 2017

The first two times we met we paid no notice to each other whatsover - once I was best man at a friend's wedding and once I arrived at a friend-of-a-friend's house to doss (in full post-climb grime).

The time we actually did pay attention was an evening in the Alps, which culminated in us whistling down the long Blue run by headtorch light on an oven tray stolen from the chalet (which is a transportation device long on speed but short on control in case you're tempted).

Anyone that'll do that is a keeper.
Peitil 16 Feb 2017
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Hope you don't throw her back
 Philip 16 Feb 2017

"How did you meet your partner?"

and the thread underneath

"Horse Attack"

I was running a research programme with Lotus Cars to develop a new hybrid engine, and Mrs Paul_in_Sheffield was a post-doctoral researcher running one of the engine dynamometer test cells. We started to head out from work for beers which turned into many years of happily married life. Mrs PiS is also my climbing partner and best mate, and we're heading off on the first climbing trip to Mallorca for either of us on Sunday.
 SouthernSteve 16 Feb 2017

Car park at work, noted the KIMM Sticker in the car and got talking. Married and climbing and latterly running together. We never did go potholing thankfully.
 Crispy Haddock 17 Feb 2017
In reply to johnjohn:

> Dib dib dib? Dob dob dob!(I've no idea what that means.)

It's DYB not dib.
"Will you DYB DYB DYB?" (do your best)
"We will DOB DOB DOB" (do our best)
 Crispy Haddock 17 Feb 2017

Climbing partner and Hubby being the same person:

We met in the Physics Prep room in 1989.

Our eyes met across the Speed of Sound apparatus; and that's not a euphemism
 nufkin 18 Feb 2017

Am I alone in hoping that there'd be a post describing how the Num Nums came to meet?
Jim C 19 Feb 2017
In 1975 at a house party, as teenagers.

She wore a hat and tight cream trousers.
Don't ask me details of anything else she has worn in the last 40 odd years ( apart from perhaps a wedding dress)
Post edited at 00:10

Pat and Rom met down the UKC pub and despite the age difference they have bonded as one and are rarely out of each other's company. They remind me of Emily's pals, Kathy and Heathcliffe.
 Cú Chullain 21 Feb 2017

After a few failed relationships and getting thoroughly tried of the meeting someone down the pub/club/dinner party dating scene I plucked up the courage to join match.com. Met Mrs Cu after working my way through what felt like half of London's dating register, she had a fierce Irish accent on her, liked rugby, bought rounds and said "will you feck off" and "I will in my hole" a lot. One pan African adventure later we got married.
 Toerag 21 Feb 2017

On a Scout 'summer solstice dusk till dawn' hike - she was with her BF helping with another troop. Was chatting to Fred, the leader of that troop over breakfast and asked who the couple were as I didn't recognise them - he told me they were from Germany and into climbing so I went and spoke to them. Turned out she was au-pairing on the island and had actually phoned me up a couple of months before about joining the climbing club but couldn't make our Tuesday evening meets as she stacked shelves in the co-op for pocket money. I spoke more with her BF as his English was better. A couple of weeks later she turned up on a Tuesday night and she became friends with my GF and I for the next few months until she left the island to work elsewhere. We kept in touch with xmas/birthday emails. She'd always ask how I was and if my GF and I were married yet. My GF and I split up for other reasons, and a few months later I received my usual birthday email. When my response to the inevitable question was 'no, and we're not going to get married' instead of the usual 'not yet' things escalated and here we are - 3 and a half years and a beautiful daughter down the line. Fred was the one who had given her my number to call about climbing in the first place. Thanks Fred!
 Fredt 21 Feb 2017

I met my wife on the summit of Mont Blanc.

My first words to her then were:
"What the hell are you doing here, and who's looking after the kids?"
 the abmmc 21 Feb 2017

I met my wife in the Clachaig on 21st March 1998. I'd been out climbing that day on Aonach Dubh and after we walked round to the top of the Bidean we heard the whistle blasts of someone needing help. My climbing partner and I rescued a couple who were cragfast; so, with him anchoring himself to the mountain and me going down on the rope, we helped them up. We gave the woman who was white faced with fear a drink of coffee which she promptly spat out as "it's got sugar in it". They then announced that they were going to carry on with their walk. We were shaking our heads as we went down, thinking that they would get stuck or lost again that day. We did though, after a while, start to feel like superheroes and decided that we would have a pint which we never usually did as he had to get back to his wife and son. Walking into the Clachaig I spied a girl I knew with another girl that I didn't, and still feeling all superhero-ey and not at all shy, I went over to speak with them. The main thing that I noticed then was that she was eating a steak pie and it took all my effort not to drool at the sight. Later that night, I went back up to join them, which became a Clachaig Saturday night. THE moment arrived after shutting up time and I was getting a lift home from Jimmy the Bush and I was sitting just below her, listening to her talk. I had met the future Mrs ABMMC. So a belated thank you to the couple with their ice axes still on the back of their packs, stuck to the cliff and blowing their whistle, for not drinking my coffee and for carrying on with their walk, I would never have walked into the Clachaig that evening without your appearance that day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...