UKC

BMC membership as expat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sanguine 14 Feb 2017
Hey Forum,

Club membership related question here. So I am an Irishman living in Sweden, but I hold dual nationality with the UK through my father.

Me and the girlfriend are heading back to the Alps this Summer and plan to avail of some more huts this time around. However, neither the Swedish Mountain Club nor the Swedish Climbing Club offer the hut discounts that other alpine clubs around Europe have. As such, we are in need of a membership to an Alpine Club - not just for these discounts mind, but that is a driving reason. Does anyone know whether there would be a problem if we were to sign up to the BMC, though living in Sweden? I have family in the UK if that helps with address related issues, and I am technically a British subject.

Regarding the insurance, we would have our own for the Alps through our personal insurance.

Any experiences here from anyone?

Cheers.

Doug 14 Feb 2017
In reply to sanguine:

In theory a BMC membership card doesn't get you discounts in huts, although in practise it often does. Instead BMC members are supposed to buy a 'reciprocal rights card'. An alternative would be the Austrian Alpine Club where you only need membership, and which includes rescue insurance.

But you'd have to spent several nights in huts to recoup the costs of membership
 Andy Say 14 Feb 2017
In reply to sanguine:
The BMC is not an 'alpine club', as such. Whilst it is sometimes possible to blag discount in huts with a BMC card you shouldn't actually get it unless you pay extra for a 'reciprocal rights' carnet. The issue being that the BMC has no chain of alpine huts to offer visitors from the continent. £45 currently.

If all you are wanting is cheaper huts you might be better looking at Austrian Alpine Club - Sektor Britannien?
Post edited at 09:49

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...