UKC

Life assurance post-script

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 14 Feb 2017
Further to my recent post (now archived), those who read that may like to know the sequel.

The problem was that a life assurance policy (general policy to protect non-earning spouse) ran out, and the quote I got for renewal was for a premium of £x, which was ok, but doubled (and unacceptable) once I told them I climb despite doing it at only a very basic level.

Summit Financial was suggested on the other thread; I asked them for a quote, got a quote for less than £x despite climbing (about which they asked sensible questions), and went with that.

They did ask if I do any other hazardous activities, but they agreed that Baroque chamber music and knitting are ok.

Lizzie
 JJL 14 Feb 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

It always made me laugh when they ask "Is that climbing with ropes?". Apparently ropes make it more dangerous.
 Jon Stewart 14 Feb 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Do you reckon the companies work from data about all the horrific deaths suffered by climbers, compared to the lard-arsed couch potatoes clogging up their arteries with Maccy D's every other night? Do they ask about diet and exercise?

I had trouble once just by being gay - I had to have an HIV test before they'd even give me a policy, and I'm in my 30's, this is not in the 80s!

It often seems like rather than collect data and ask questions that relate specifically to that data, these companies have people in an office saying things like "climbers - I bet they die all the time, especially that climbing they do with ropes" and then entering a risk percentage off the top of their head into a spreadsheet.

I mean, as both a homosexual and rock climber (let alone someone who's taken ecstasy in the past), it's basically a miracle that I'm here to write this post at all!
OP BusyLizzie 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> I had trouble once just by being gay - I had to have an HIV test before they'd even give me a policy, and I'm in my 30's, this is not in the 80s!

That is outrageous!!!

As to climbing - yes, I agree. The first company gave me a quote, then heard that I do an activity that should tell them I am fit and risks averse, so they double the premium.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...