UKC

Pack recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 15 Feb 2017
I'm after a new pack. And have quite a specific list of requirements. Having found a few packs that meet most of them. I can't decide, so looking to see if any of you lot have any of the following. Or if i've missed any obvious ones.

Requirements are; 28-33 litres, sub £100, sub 1kg, minimal faff (straps/cord/gimmicks), lid with single buckle, weather resistant/waterproof, waist belt with pockets, bright colours.

Blue ice warthog 28, + bombproof, sleek, useful helmet storage, colour
- Thin waistbelt

Mountain hardwear scrambler outdry 30, + waterproof, light, hard-wearing
- no waist belt, fiddly buckle

Patagonia Ascentionist 35, + fast access, good colours
- new version has flimsy axe loops, weather resistance, heavier, durability.

Osprey Mutant 28, + quick access, good colour
- weather resistance, weight, durability.

Arcteryx FL 30, + super light, water resistance, minimal faff, colour
- price, no lid for regular items, durability.

Any other suggestions? Just seen the Blue ice one on sports pursuit for £50, but it won't post until mid March :/ otherwise I'd have snapped it up.
 ryan_d 15 Feb 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

I've got a mutant 38 which I've just replaced with blue ice warthog 40. The mutant back panel is too floppy and when filled it carries like a sack of tatties. The warthog is more simple, carries better, is more comfortable. I tried the ascentionist 45 (I was looking for a winter/crag pack) but it just didn't fit me well, but really liked the idea of it. Got a friend who has the FL45 and although he likes it you have to be careful with the packing and the sizing is a but weird. Carries well and is waterproof apparently. The 30L is only actually 22L and is only 30 when over stuffed to the capacity of roll top.

Hope this helps.

Ryan
OP CharlieMack 15 Feb 2017
In reply to ryan_d:

Cheers for all that info, i'm changing from an osprey talon 33 and found the back panel in that pretty floppy too. Interesting to hear the FL30 is so small. A friend has both and loves them. But just seems a little on the flimsy side. Though big plus for the waterproof. He is constantly annoyed with the skirt thing inside though and I can see why.

I've got a Podsacs 40L and Alpkit 20L, both of which are great, but need a little more size than the 20l and a bit less weight than the 1.6kg pod. So just after a happy medium for a day bag (that's perfect at everything :p).
 matt3210 15 Feb 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

I've been looking for a while now but I've gone off the Arcteryx FL & the Patagonia Ascensionist as they don't look durable.
Blue Ice stuff is really well made & lasts for ever, but they seem to have a short back length.

I'm now thinking about Crux, Aiguille Alpine or Lowe Alpine?
 Taurig 15 Feb 2017
 ryan_d 15 Feb 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

For a daypack or walking and summer cragging I use a Haglofs speedroc 25L. Its a fantastic pack and always wanted a similar 40L pack for winter. they do one now but its not got some features I wanted. The 25 is narrow, light and can carry a good amount.

Ryan
In reply to ryan_d:

Blue ice half price on sport pursuit.com
 Fraser 16 Feb 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

Not on your list (and perhaps a bit bigger than you seem to want) but have you seen this advert?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=658165&v=1#x8498705

I thought it looked very good.
OP CharlieMack 16 Feb 2017
In reply to matt3210:
I've made a little comparison sheet and pretty much discontinued the FL30, for similar reasons. Though the Patagonia is still up there in terms of size for weight and comfort. I'd love a crux rx30, but just can't justify the price.
The short back length is a plus for me as i'm a short arse.
Post edited at 09:11
OP CharlieMack 16 Feb 2017
In reply to Taurig:

Good spy with the Montane one, the black Diamond is over a kilo. What annoys me about the lowe alpine is that there's only one picture of it. Can't see much of the top or back panel/waist. Seems like an error on their part. I get a discount on their stuff and would otherwise be tempted. Can't seem to find it in any nearby shops for a hands on look either.
 iksander 16 Feb 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

30g over and no waistbelt pockets, but only £30, bombproof and totally waterproof (bar submerging) https://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/walkers-drybag-rucksack.html
 thlcr1 16 Feb 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

Ive been using a Montane Medusa 32 for a while now. Find it very comfy and usable with lots of good features. No complaints at all.

Lee
 tspoon1981 16 Feb 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

The lomo bags recommended by iksander is a great bag for the price, it doesn't compress amazingly well. But you can't really moan for £27 or whatever it is. I've scraped and abused mine for a while, and all bar the cinching I can't complain. Not the comfiest for big loads though

The patagonia ascensionist is a great bag, I was always skeptical of the durability but mine has held up through 2 years of fairly solid abuse. It does wet out in seconds, so I tend to have a full array of dry bags to store everything.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/el-burro I've just ordered the El Burro, for an extra £10 they're putting ice axe loops. I have zero additional information because it hasn't arrived yet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...