UKC

Climbing insurance once already abroad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Em66 15 Feb 2017
Hi all,

I am on the hunt for some climbing insurance that will cover you once you have left the UK. I am heading out to meet my partner in South America who has been working for British Antarctic Survey for the last 18 months. BMC/snowcard etc. require that insurance is bought before you arrive in the country and the trip must start and finish in the UK. So I am fine but he is not!

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Emily
 stuartf 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Em66:

World nomads used to be able to do this. Or you could try sports cover direct as they do activity top up insurance if you just want a short period of e.g. Winter sports cover as part of a longer trip so might be able to sort something.
 Martin Bennett 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Em66:

Sportscover Direct will do it. I'm not endorsing them as, though I use them habitually for climbing trips outside Europe, I've happily never had to claim so no idea how they behave in such circumstances. Booking procedure and telephone advice all very good though. Give the right impression and definitely meet your needs - cover only activities (not baggage, cancellations etc etc) and only on the days you're exposed to risk.
OP Em66 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Em66:

Hi both, thanks for the advice. World Nomads looks like it should cover it. Don't feel quite as comfortable as going for a 'proper' climbing provider like BMC but hopefully it should be ok.

Emily
 Mark Kemball 16 Feb 2017
In reply to Em66:

Have you tried contacting the BMC and explaining the circumstances?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...