UKC

Rock type Birchen Edge?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 15 Feb 2017
This is really a question for the geologists amongst the UKC fraternity. I know most people would say that it is Millstone Grit, but I seem to remember it being shown on an OS geology map as being a Coal Measures sandstone. Can anybody clarify?
 Martin Bennett 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Hi Rog,
I'm no geologist but did learn a bit of (most of which I've forgotten) geomorphology. I understand all the crags we refer to as being of gritstone are sandstones of one description or another. Someone with authority will be along in a minute to corroborate or gainsay my amateurish utterings. Cheers. Martin. By the way if you fancy a foray in the general direction of some Derbys (or Staffordshire) grit on some warmish late Winter day, just say the word.
OP Rog Wilko 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Hi Martin,
Just started my rehab at the climbing wall! Completely devoid of strength, agility, head, endurance etc. Maybe still a smidgen of technique lurking somewhere. Derbyshire might be a bit far for a day from here, but I'd be up for somewhere else. Will mail you when it gets a bit warmer.
Re the geology, my memory is that grit is just a type of sandstone in which the individual grains are relatively unrounded as a result of attrition before being deposited, while sandstone is made of rounded grains which had the corners knocked off before being deposited. If this is right could explain why grit is so much more abrasive than most sandstones. But as you say an expert may be along soon.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

It is all in here if you can wade through it: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=651774

Chris
 Offwidth 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:
Its always been said to be a younger coal measure sandstone above the main millstone grit sequence (which is a coarser granite sand river delta).
Post edited at 20:28
OP Rog Wilko 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

That's exactly what I thought.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...