UKC

Cwm Tregalen - Nant Gwynant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 static266 15 Feb 2017
Has anyone climbed any of the mountaineering trad routes, winter gullies or the 'Tregalen Couloir' scramble from Steve Ashton's guide?

I've just added the crag & routes to the UKC logbook so any historical logs/votes/photos would be great.

Cwm Llan (Cwm Tregalen)

In reply to static266:

Do you think spelling 'Tregalan' correctly might be a good start?
OP static266 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Good evening to you too, I was basing my spelling on Malcolm Campbell's '88 winter guide and even an in-depth blog written by John Appleby spells it at least 2 different ways! Can you point me in the direction of evidence of the correct spelling? (Please don't say the OS map, they're full of mistakes)
In reply to static266:
Not sure what 'evidence' you want. Basic google searches using the two spellings gives a reasonable idea of what the currently accepted spelling is (I found very few incidences of the Tregalen spelling)

The derivation of 'Cwm Tregalan' isn't clear - 'Tre(f)' refers to a settlement (but in this instance it could either be a settlement at the site, or that the grazing in the cwm belonged to a settlement elsewhere). 'Galan' could be a reference to the first day of the month ('Calan'), or more likely a corruption of 'Heart' ('Calon') or 'Holly' ('Celyn').

A few sources (other than 'Local Knowledge') in support of the 'Tregalan' spelling:
OS Mapping (various editions)
Harveys / BMC Mapping
Bartholemews mapping
Snowdonia National Park website (both languages)
Snowdonia society website (both languages)
Scrambles in Snowdonia (Ashton)
Visions of Snowdonia (Perrin)
Welsh 30000ft Challenges (Clayton and Turnbull)
Rock Trails Snowdonia (Gannon)
V12 blog

Welsh Peaks (Poucher) and Tremadog (Long) both seem to avoid referring to a specific name for the upper part of Cwm (y) Llan.
Post edited at 00:30
 John Gresty 16 Feb 2017
In reply to static266:

I have done a big gully there, both in winter and summer. Many years ago now, and do not remember anything outstanding about either ascent.

John Gresty
 Iain Thow 16 Feb 2017
In reply to static266:

Needs some brief descriptions too. I soloed around half a dozen variations on Clogwyn Ddu when I lived in Nant Gwynant during 1977 but I'm not sure how they relate to the routes you've added. Did some scrappy slabs up the LH edge of Craig Ddu too, but wimped out of the obvious slabby nose up the centre of the crag. Lots of easy stuff in the lower Cwm too. Great place.

Iain
OP static266 16 Feb 2017
In reply to Iain Thow:

Cheers for the info, I've seen a few 'new routes' contributed by a Barry Clarke for Craig Ddu on the climbers club archives, though from my time climbing esoterica in Coniston most of his routes have been micro at best... The trad routes I've added are from the latest Tremadog guide, I'll get some descriptions on there but the guide describes the layout a little confusingly. It'll be a place I'll explore, working at the youth hostel in Nant Gwynant.

Have amended the spelling of the routes and I'm awaiting the crag name to be changed, it does indeed appear Tregalan is more commonly used than Tregalen.

Thanks to whoever posted the photos of the Couloir.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...