UKC

Garden Birds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
My home office looks out on to our small front garden and patio and Ive strategically placed a bird table, feeder and coconut shell.

The birds I have had have been a bit rubbish to be frank with the usual blackbirds (I like blackbirds, don't get me wrong) the occasional sparrow and the painful pigeons. This last two days, however, have been a real treat.

Blue tits, coal tits, great tits, thrush, blackbirds (grumpy), loads of robins (downright hostile to anything else which flies) and the cherry on the cake has been a pair of long tailed tits which are absolute darlings. I was beginning to think my garden was a bit of a wasteland but today has been glorious. I even had a squirrel yesterday for the first time.

Amazing the satisfaction you can get from a few little garden visitors.

In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
We live in a suburb of Stirling but quite close to a range of habitats and have several feeders. Over the ten years we have been there I have now counted over 40 different species. There have been some fantastic visitors - goldcrest, linnet, waxwings, redpoll and spectacular fly-throughs by sparrowhawk & tawny owl. I just love the fact that I can be sat at my computer and see them all.
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:
That is an impressive list of birds. Im semi rural so any bird would have to be nesting in or around homes which I guess limits the possibilities.

My father in law, who lives in rural south lincs has a garden which backs off to a field. He has had a spectacular range of birds but I couldnt quite believe it when I saw a picture of his bird table with a red kite sat on it as he has placed a couple of chicken legs there.
Post edited at 18:50
Jim C 16 Feb 2017

At Corrour I photographed a blue barrel full of deer legs with a robin and a chaffinch happily munching away at the the exposed raw meat .
 RyanOsborne 16 Feb 2017

We have a great little band of birds that come through every day - a selection of tits including great, blue and long tailed, and always with an individual goldcrest in tow. Most of them (although not the goldie) visit our coconut feeder.

The best thing though is that I work high up in an office block in Manchester city centre, so regularly get to see the peregrines go past my window, sometimes dive bombing straight past at breakneck speed onto the pigeons in Piccadilly Gardens!
 Mark Edwards 16 Feb 2017

Water can be an attractor as well, not only for drinking but for bathing as well.
Time for a water feature?
Don’t agree with your assessment of Robins though, to me, they seem OK with other species but not other Robins.

> blackbirds (grumpy),

Blackbirds can be very grumpy, aggressive and even bullys at times. The thing is though in my garden when ever there's any bother with the likes of kestrels and sparrow hawks it's always the blackbirds who jump straight into action to defend the smaller birds.

I've done this outside my home office too in downtown Calver.
Same list as you, plus Long Tailed Tit, two Kingfishers, and a squirrel that my dog will eventually deal with
Those birds are an absolute joy to watch.
 Tom Valentine 17 Feb 2017

Long tailed tits are rather special, I think.
Sometimes they will sit on the handle of my patio door and peer nosily into the house.
Charming old name for them, too -bumbarrels.
 Rob Parsons 17 Feb 2017
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Long tailed tits are rather special, I think.

Beautiful creatures.

To the OP: I've also had Nuthatches and Great Spotted Woodpeckers visiting garden feeders: I think the former is my very favourite woodland bird. Blackbirds are great characters, and highly intelligent: Eric Simms wrote widely about them, and his observations are well worth following up.
 Dax H 17 Feb 2017
In reply to Mark Edwards:

> Water can be an attractor as well, not only for drinking but for bathing as well.Time for a water feature?Don’t agree with your assessment of Robins though, to me, they seem OK with other species but not other Robins.

We have a large nature pond with a selection of strategically placed rocks that form shallow pool's and the birds love it.

Robins in our garden tend to stay in close proximity to their chosen food, normally a fat ball and chase away anything else that comes near it, vicious little buggers.
 JIMBO 17 Feb 2017

When it comes to bully birds I don't think I've seen much worse than jays. At my parents they used to gang up and mob anything including passing cats and foxes.

At my house the biggest bully we have is a fieldfare... he guards the apple tree against all intruders.
In reply to Dax H:

Some sources say the British robin is very different in character from its continental cousin who is much less human friendly and forward.
 Dax H 17 Feb 2017

Ahh, I didn't know they were 2 types of Robin's. That would explain conflicting reports.
Fortunately it won't be a problem after brexit when we stop them coming over and stealing our Robin's food.
In reply to Dax H:

Erithacus rubelica whether in Britain or the continent.
One theory is that the continental robin is warier of man because of Johnny Foreigner's habit of packing them in jars and so on.

> Long tailed tits are rather special, I think.

'My' two have been back today. I wonder if they are close mates.
 Tobes 17 Feb 2017

Great thread!

Our garden gets two groups of birds. Those that visit the feeders and the others that hang around at the back hedge that backs onto a field (with horses). Recently we've had the yellow hammers skulking at the back, great spotted woodpecker on the feeder, a buzzard perched on a chair (blown in during strong winds) and a sparrow hawk doing what they do best (that's one less hedge sparrow to feed I guess). A rarer visitor is the red squirrel, seen a couple of times a year.

Just had to look on the web to identify 2 Nuthatches which are regular visitors. The Long Tailed Tits arrive as a group of 6 or 7. Interesting that the Thrushes and Blackbirds concentrate on hoovering up the stuff from the feeder that falls on the ground.
Seem to have moved the feeder far enough away from bushes and trees so the squirrels can't jump across.

I usually just enjoy looking at them, but this thread has motivated me to identify the visitors.
The bird that's been visiting this week that I thought was a 'skinny robin' is in fact a Stonechat.
God bless Google!
 RyanOsborne 18 Feb 2017
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> I usually just enjoy looking at them, but this thread has motivated me to identify the visitors. The bird that's been visiting this week that I thought was a 'skinny robin' is in fact a Stonechat.God bless Google!

Good bird. Did you hear it's call? It's a great giveaway for a stonechat - it sounds exactly as the name would indicate.

youtube.com/watch?v=B3vLl9zl9aY&
 Andy Hardy 18 Feb 2017

We've just been looking at a pair of what I thought were female blackbirds sat on our hedge. Only they both were darkly spotted and had a yellow "bib" not very big or well defined. A bit of googling makes me think that they may have been juvenile ring ouzels, which must be unusual for suburban Stockport!
In reply to Andy Hardy:
They aren't going to be Juvenile Ring Ouzels at this time of year! Firstly there are very few RO's in the country - they (almost) all overwinter overseas in North Africa or the Middle East, with the average first arrival of migrants being 28th March, and secondly because "Juveniles" are only present from mid-summer breeding season until they leave on migration - they moult from Juvenile plumage to 'First Winter' plumage while away. As you say, they would be very unusual away from moorland or coastal habitats.

The chest patch on an ouzel would definitely be white or dirty white in colour.

A yellowish patch is likely to suggest either a pale coloured female blackbird, or else a dark coloured song or mistle thrush.
Post edited at 12:58
 Andy Hardy 18 Feb 2017
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:
We looked at photos of mistle thrushes online, the bird were definitely darker than that, spots weren't that distinct, and the bib was more yellow than white, although quite fuzzy. Wishing I'd got a photo of them now
Post edited at 14:52
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Probably just light colour female blackbirds then, they can vary quite a lot.
Have a look at this page and scroll down to the first female picture:

http://oslobirder.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/blackbirds.html

or these ones:
http://www.spacefornature.co.uk/defaultd595.html?gallery=Galleries%5CAnimal...

http://www.scotlandincolour.com/blackbird/female-blackbird02l.html

cb294 18 Feb 2017
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Highly unlikely in February. Ring ouzels also have a distinct overall shape, much more slender, with a longer neck, longer and narrower wings, and a slightly longer tail. If you see one, you will know immediately that it looks "wrong" for a blackbird.

CB
 aln 18 Feb 2017
In reply to Jim C:

Why was there a blue barrel full of deer legs?
Jim C 19 Feb 2017
In reply to aln:

> Why was there a blue barrel full of deer legs?

They shoot deer. ( and probably remove the legs for ease of storage transportation)
 aln 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Jim C:

Ah OK. I thought those blue barrels were for pheasant food
mick taylor 23 Feb 2017
In reply to Andy Hardy:

A newly fledged blackbird was spotted in centre of Wigan today, and they do kinda fit your description. Very early, but increasingly common.
 Andy Hardy 23 Feb 2017
In reply to mick taylor:
They were quite large (don't know what size a newly fledged blackbird is, but these were the size of adult blackbirds)
Edited to add - they could well be blackbirds if I see them again I'll grab my camera and post pics
Post edited at 15:42
 Baron Weasel 23 Feb 2017

I've been putting G & T and Prosecco in my garden to attract birds, but I'm yet to attract any great tits...

I'll get my coat!
 Rog Wilko 23 Feb 2017
In reply to Baron Weasel:

Reminds me of my father-in-law (RIP) who loved a little self-deprecating joke. He used to say "I've planted that bird seed you gave me, but nothing's come up yet".
 icnoble 23 Feb 2017

I am not allowed bird feeders of any king in the garden as my wife thinks they will attract rats.

Timmd 23 Feb 2017
In reply to Jim C:

> They shoot deer. ( and probably remove the legs for ease of storage transportation)

The robin and chaffinch?!
 Queenie 23 Feb 2017
In reply to icnoble:

Really? The possibility really doesn't seem a good enough reason to take away one of life's simple pleasures. I would very much miss watching them if I stopped putting out feed.
Jim C 23 Feb 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> The robin and chaffinch?!

Yep, birds of a feather hunt together, a deadly duo
 nufkin 24 Feb 2017
In reply to icnoble:

> I am not allowed bird feeders of any king in the garden as my wife thinks they will attract rats.

But you can counter that by mentioning the kind of birds the rats might attract
 Neil Henson 24 Feb 2017
In reply to icnoble:

> I am not allowed bird feeders of any king in the garden as my wife thinks they will attract rats.

I have been feeding the birds in my garden and that of a previous house for the last 15 years at least. I can honestly say I haven't seen a single rat and have spent a lot of time watching the feeders. A bit of housekeeping obviously helps i.e. not allowing lots of food debris to build up around the feeders.

Attracting birds to your garden provides so much reward for very little cost. I thoroughly recommend it.
 RyanOsborne 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Neil Henson:

I've never seen rats around my feeder either, despite the blue tits getting plenty of it on the ground (enough to sustain a daily visit from the blackbird). I have seen an absolutely huge rat at a feeder on an RSPB reserve though, huge it was!

Maybe the choice of food has something to do with it? Mine are the RSPB coconuts, which are great, just string them up in a tree, the birds love them, and at the end just stick the coconut shell in the garden waste bin.

Hygienic for the birds too, as it being replaced so often should help prevent the spread of infections.
 Neil Henson 24 Feb 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:

I've seen one or two rats at my local nature reserve too. I suspect their presence is mainly due to the sheer amount of food available and the surrounding habitat, rather than the food itself, which is similar to that which I put out in my garden.
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> I've never seen rats around my feeder either, despite the blue tits getting plenty of it on the ground.

Ive noticed that when we have blue tits, which appear to be messy, there's always a sparrow following to pick up the floor scraps.
cb294 25 Feb 2017
In reply to Neil Henson:

There will be rats in every single garden with a bird feeder, but they usually are nocturnal and extremely careful. Easy to check for traces when there is a little light snow.

CB
 Dave Garnett 25 Feb 2017
In reply to cb294:

> There will be rats in every single garden with a bird feeder, but they usually are nocturnal and extremely careful. Easy to check for traces when there is a little light snow.CB

We occasionally get them (we have hens so it's almost inevitable) but there's an outside light and a bedroom provides a convenient firing position.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...