UKC

Berlingo/ partner tepee sleeping frame.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Morning folks.
Looking to get myself a berlingo multispace or partner tepee and fit out the boot with an ambro boot jump type system. Has anyone done this? Looking on advice on the plywood thickness, but if you have any advise and info it would be appriciated. Thanks Colin
 katherinec85 17 Feb 2017
In reply to bedsforsleepypeople:

Hello,

Yep, we've done this for a Fiat Doblo High Top. Worked pretty well. It's just got one 'fold', compared to the two folds of the Amdro, but has a similar table and benches set up, with pull out stove underneath one of the benches. Cushions just made from chopping up a double sized memory foam mattress, and making covers for them. Will happily email you some photos/info - it probably won't be till tonight/tomorrow.

Hat Dude 17 Feb 2017

Hi I've done something similar for my Caddy

I made an aluminium frame & got the material from The Aluminium Warehouse
http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/?gclid=COymmNWMl9ICFWUo0wod0qwLYA

Basically consisted of box section legs then angle aluminium side rails with a T section centre rail to hold the plywood; two pieces with the extension piece stored on top of the rear which then rests on the back of the folded down rear seats for sleeping. Easily to fit and to remove when not needed

I used 18mm ply for the bed boards which is probably overkill.

In reply to katherinec85:

Thanks that would be great!
In reply to Hat Dude:

Do you have any pictures of your creation? thanks
 Hat Dude 17 Feb 2017

Sorry I don't and it's folded up hanging in the shed at the moment.

If I'm on my own in the van, I just tend to sleep on a big self inflating mat on the floor in the back
The van is a Caddy Maxi so it's plenty long enough

There are things I'd like to modify on it but don't seem to have time to do.
 pec 17 Feb 2017
I used 12mm birch ply for mine. 18mm is really too heavy hence 12mm and birch ply is much superior to normal ply and is often used in furniture making for this reason. It doesn't have any voids within it like normal ply so holds screws much better, it doesn't splinter and have rough edges so its safer (and won't puncture your thermarest!) and is less prone to warping and delaminating.
It does obviously cost more, about £50-£60 for an 8' x 4' sheet but you'll only need 1 or 2 sheets so its still way cheaper than buying an Amdro.
Its not readily available from B&Q etc so you will have to find a decent timber merchant or builders merchant but you can buy it online if you're struggling, people sell it on it ebay.
Ideally get it from a timber merchant who can cut it to your sizes, mine charged £1 a cut which was well worth it for mm precise cuts of large unwieldy sheets of ply, far neater than you could do with a circular saw or even a DIY bench saw.
I used no more nails and screwfix turbo gold screws which bite beautifully compared with standard screws.
Post edited at 17:05
 Jon Stewart 18 Feb 2017

I got this guy to do mine for about half the price of Amdro:

http://peakvanconversions.weebly.com/

He's done mine so I can leave the bed down on the passenger side, enabling me to roll out of bed and drive off without faff. And get into the bed when it's late and I'm pissed. If you're using it on your own I recommend doing it this way. The table and chairs set-up is fantastic when the weather's bad as a couple of you can sit and chill happily with a beer and movie - worth thinking about if you were going to do a simpler version that's just a bed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...