UKC

Crampon Bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ColH72 17 Feb 2017
Can you get a crampon bag large enough to put your crampons in when they are set to your shoe size. The one I have you have to have them on smallest setting to fit them in the bag.
 skog 17 Feb 2017
In reply to ColH72:

I use an old gaiter, if that's any help; they fit fine.
In reply to ColH72:

This Alaska one we have will take most crampons without reducing them: http://www.needlesports.com/2238/products/alaska-needle-sports-large-crampo...
 James_Kendal 18 Feb 2017
In reply to ColH72:

I have a DMM one which comfortably takes my G12s bolted for size 10 boots.

I think it's this one. Don't know where you can still buy it though. I got it in a shop 3 or 4 years ago.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dmm-Crampon-bag/dp/B01M1GAY10
 girlymonkey 18 Feb 2017
In reply to ColH72:

I make them out of a leg from an old pair of jeans. You can make them as long as you need
 Pete Houghton 18 Feb 2017
In reply to ColH72:

A "bag for life" or IKEA shopping bag, cut open and folded over, then wrapped around and held in place with some old charity wristbands, fits whatever you want.
 Martin Bennett 18 Feb 2017
In reply to ColH72:
Football boot bag. Mine's an Adidas one I found in a skip about 10 years ago, but if you have to pay for one I'm guessing maximum a fiver from eg Sports Direct. Plenty long enough for my Terminators and too long for G14s when "compressed".
Post edited at 18:53
OP ColH72 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Stephen Reid - Needle Sports:

Thanks for the info. I will order one this week. Not sure I can be bothered making my own bag, good ideas though 😊
 Dave the Rave 19 Feb 2017
In reply to ColH72:

> Thanks for the info. I will order one this week. Not sure I can be bothered making my own bag, good ideas though 😊

Hahahah. More money than sense?
 Simon Pelly 20 Feb 2017
In reply to ColH72:

Recommend using a rubble sack. Light weight, cheap, easy to shove in, wrap round and ensures no leaks from melting ice when stowed away at the end of the day. When wrapped round a few times no possibility of spike damage in your rucksack either.
In reply to ColH72:

Top tip: don't use one... just wrap your crampons in a spare fleece, or jacket, or what ever. I supposed they're quite sharp when brand new, but once you've done a couple of mixed routes with them a crampon bag isn't really worth bothering with.

Tom
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
I used to laugh in the face of crampon bags...now my Rab duvet has a lovely L shaped parachute tape patch on it. I wondered why it wouldn't come out of my sack - still, the feathers were a good indication wind direction.
 hokkyokusei 22 Mar 2017
In reply to ColH72:

I use the Grivel crampon safe that I got with my Grivel G12 crampons. They fit in there just fine. The crampons do telescope together though, without resorting to the adjustment mechanism, so perhaps that's why?
 angry pirate 22 Mar 2017
In reply to ColH72:

I found the old Grivel envelope style crampon bag (like the Alaska one linked above) fit my 2F crampons set up for size 10 boots without collapsing them.
I've since upgraded to a Grivel crampon safe which fits terminator crampons (which also will not collapse nicely. The mesh top lets them dry without rusting too.
My 2Fs now live in an old heavy duty alpkit dry bag.
 maxsmith 22 Mar 2017
In reply to ColH72:

a plastic squash bottle with the top cut off
 CT 23 Mar 2017
In reply to ColH72:

I've been using an aiguille zipped bag for over a decade, great for keeping screws etc. in too.

http://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/product/accessories-clothing/m032/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...