UKC

Old Yorkshire guide grade description

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I read a description of adjectivial grades in an old Yorkshire guide a while back, maybe from the eighties. All I can remember is that it was very funny and not entirely helpful! Can anybody point me towards it?
 Neil R 18 Feb 2017
In reply to Barrie Schofield II:

That will be the P grade:

Very short article under 'other grades':

http://bobwightman.co.uk/climb/article.php?p=uk-grades
In reply to Neil R:

Cheers for the info, I think that was possibly the guidebook I read it from, but it was basically a short description in the foreword I was after. It was a pisstake at an attempt to explain trad adjectivial grading ( vs, has, e1...) and as I remember the closing line was something like "so in summation they are of no value whatsoever and not to be trusted under any circumstances" I need to find it as it's the most accurate way i've ever found of explaining grades to somebody!
 Neil R 18 Feb 2017

Adjectival Grades - these mean nothing and are in no way related to the standard at which you climb. They are only included to demoralise you. Therefore the grades at which you can fail are: Mod, Dif .....

Present day opinion uses a reciprocal adjectival system for coping with failure at a certain grade. Hence, failing on a Difficult is Extremely Severe, whilst it is only Difficult to cope with failure on an Extremely Severe. Simple, eh?

Grades are based on the climbers reach, and the system is open ended to cope with ever increasing arm length.

Is that what you were looking for?
In reply to Neil R:

Aye that's the one, cheers. Now to memorise it and claim it as my own.
 Michael Gordon 18 Feb 2017

A lot of good stuff in the intro to that guide. Hard to locate anything serious actually!
 Brass Nipples 18 Feb 2017

Think it was the 92 guide. I still have it around the house somewhere.

cheese@4p 20 Feb 2017

All words published in Yorkshire Gritstone Guides are by definition God's Truth - ah tell thee.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...