UKC

Chalk bag/ brush loops on trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 19 Feb 2017
Just going to buy some new lightweight trousers for summer and loads of them have these 'features'. Does anyone actually use them? They are always advertised as must have features, but i've never seen anyone use them, and they seem counter productive.

If you put a clip on the back of your trousers bouldering, you're going to land on it at some point. If you put a brush on your leg, you're going to stab yourself with it at some point.
 ChrisH89 20 Feb 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

Yeah I have a pair of shorts with a brush slot on the front of one leg. Never use it. Pretty pointless feature, every chalk bag has a brush loop anyway...
 brianjcooper 20 Feb 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

> If you put a brush on your leg, you're going to stab yourself with it at some point.

Yeah. I totally agree with you.
I always tie my chalk bag round my waist with cord as it's more adjustable, and more importantly, it's a prussik loop
in an emergency situation.

OP CharlieMack 20 Feb 2017
In reply to ChrisH89:

Agreed, brushes live either in your route chalkbag, or boulder bucket.

Does it show how disconnected designers are from their consumers? Or do they really think we're that gullible as to think it's a valuable additional feature that makes their product stand out?
 HeMa 20 Feb 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

> If you put a clip on the back of your trousers bouldering, you're going to land on it at some point.

Yes, but then again you also have a nice big chalk bucket... which is used for them hard ones (ie. ones you fall off). The clip is nice when you're just cruising your mellow 'Bleau circuit of classic Stanage VS solo sesh. And to be honest, that is where a chalk bag with ya makes much more sense than on a normal 5 move boulder...

> If you put a brush on your leg, you're going to stab yourself with it at some point.

Odd, I've never had that happen. And do use it quite a bit, especially when climbing mileage and not grade (see above). That said, the brush-loop on the chalk bag is a better one generally and the brush is also less likely to fall off...

Lemony 20 Feb 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

Surely to stab yourself with it it would have to stop being flat against your leg to the extent that it was fairly perpendicular. If you trousers are baggy enough for that I suggest that you give them back to MC Hammer ASAP.

I usually just put my brush in my pocket.
OP CharlieMack 20 Feb 2017
In reply to HeMa:

Surely you'd just use a small chalkbag on a cord, or belt? I've had to clip a chalkbag on a few times when i've left mine, and find it just swings around uncomfortably and is harder to use. Though i guess if that's what you're used to.

Do you often use a brush whilst soloing easy routes? I rarely carry one on routes, and only really if i'm working a sport route where i'll be in a position to use it.
 HeMa 21 Feb 2017
In reply to CharlieMack:

> Surely you'd just use a small chalkbag on a cord, or belt? I've had to clip a chalkbag on a few times when i've left mine, and find it just swings around uncomfortably and is harder to use. Though i guess if that's what you're used to.

Actually it depends, which chalk bag I happen to have with me . The usual one is indeed a prusik cord, but some of them bags only have a biner (in which it's also nice to clip the shoes).

> Do you often use a brush whilst soloing easy routes? I rarely carry one on routes, and only really if i'm working a sport route where i'll be in a position to use it.

Actually I do, we're not blessed with nice open outcrops a'la Stanage... so quite often I need to clean the holds and a brush works better for this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...