UKC

Does anyone still wear wooly jumpers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NigeR 20 Feb 2017
Just out of curiosity, does anyone still wear wool as a mid layer?

Not talking about Merino as a baselayer, but a good old school wooly sweater.

I've got all the modern fleece and synthetic stuff, but I find I still prefer to wear wool as a mid layer.

I find it warmer than fleece, more versatile, doesn't require me to get out my softshell windstopper the minute there's a slight breeze, and is still warm if it gets a bit damp.

I use a combination over my base layer of either a lightweight Devold zipped sweater, an Ulvang Rav midweight turtle neck or Fila skiing sweater, and if it's really cold, a Dachstein sweater.

In fact I often don't even take a windstopper softshell as I find the close knit construction of a good quality pure wool sweater perfectly adequate in wind - the Dachstein is almost completely wind proof - and just use my hardshell if the weather turns bad.

In winter I'll throw a booster layer in such as an MH Thermostatic, as well as a down jacket.

I'm not intending this to be a wool v fleece debate, as they both have pros and cons, and wool would probably loose, but just wondered whether there are any other ludites out there?

Anti-faff 20 Feb 2017
In reply to NigeR:

Yes, huge woolly fan. As well as being lovely and warm and hard wearing I always think wool ages really well too - like a decent chest of drawers or Melanie C.

I also like the wool shirts by Swanndri, though the ones made in NZ are getting pretty rare nowadays.

baron 20 Feb 2017
In reply to NigeR:
I've been known to wear the odd wool jumper especially on windy days when, as you said, a fleece would need a windstopper layer.
Having just toured the shops of Keswick and seen the price of 'quality' fleeces I think I'll be wearing more woolly jumpers in the future!
Ste Brom 20 Feb 2017
In reply to NigeR:

Huge fan of the Faroese blossom, and on occasion break out the old submariners sweater when on t'hill.
OP NigeR 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Anti-faff:

> Yes, huge woolly fan. As well as being lovely and warm and hard wearing I always think wool ages really well too - like a decent chest of drawers or Melanie C.I also like the wool shirts by Swanndri, though the ones made in NZ are getting pretty rare nowadays.

The four wool sweaters I use, all date back to the late 70's early 80's and are still in fabulous condition, despite their years of use from typical Scottish winters to the alps, although I'll admit they are very well cared for.

Another atribute they have is they look good, and I can wear them off the hill without my wife refusing to be seen with me. Well maybe not the Dachstein!
 Mike Conlon 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Anti-faff:
To be fair T, there does seem to be an element of hipster style in your mode of attire, which I must say, you carry off very well.
Post edited at 17:07
 Jim 1003 20 Feb 2017
In reply to NigeR:

Jeremy Corbyn wears one.
 bouldery bits 20 Feb 2017
In reply to NigeR:

Hang on.

Dachstein make jumpers???
OP NigeR 20 Feb 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:
> Hang on. Dachstein make jumpers???

They certainly did, for decades, both Herman Buhl and Walter Bonnati amongst others used to wear them.

They are still made, but I think you can only get them from US importers Bradley Alpinist or Sweater Chalet, at around £300 plus postage?

You can also sometimes pick up the ones made for the Austrian Alpine Corp, exactly the same sweater but in army green, second hand on Ebay for around the £50 - £70 mark.
Post edited at 18:03
 Siward 20 Feb 2017
In reply to NigeR:

My favourite mid layer is my Mum's old M & S cashmere jumper, which was very long on her and so fits me well. So soft, so fluffy, makes my merino look coarse. I save it for wear on the hill only in case it loses its fluffiness. I'm hard me.
 Anti-faff 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Mike Conlon:
It's the Penny Farthing isn't it? I knew it.

Removed User 20 Feb 2017
In reply to NigeR:

I regularly use woolen jumpers on mountain days and extended trips. I kit my own. Just working on a complex Fair Isle. Knitted in the round with no seams.

After many years unsatisfactory experience of modern gloves I returned to using Dachstein mittens and gloves. They're the future.
OP NigeR 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

After many years unsatisfactory experience of modern gloves I returned to using Dachstein mittens and gloves. They're the future.

I've never stopped using mine

David Staples 20 Feb 2017
In reply to NigeR:

My woolly xmas jumper gets worn more times at the crag than it does at xmas. Also keeps the heating bills a bit lower in winter when home.

Now climbing in a woolly onesie would be something I would love to see.
 GarethSL 21 Feb 2017
In reply to NigeR:

YES!

But only up north! have been using the Bergans Ulriken and a Ulvang Rav sweaters (basically the same thing) as a mid-layer for years on fieldwork. For UK hiking I think they are far too bulky and warm, as its too humid.

They really come into their own if you're the type who puts on layers and doesn't take them off all day. This is fine when working as we are stop-go, stop-go, all day so never really overheat. Plus they are dead comfortable in the evening and don't melt by a fire.

I see a lot wearing old woolen navy sweaters, which are also good if you don't mind the elbow pads and epaulets. Aklima also do some nice wool too!
 GarethSL 21 Feb 2017
In reply to NigeR:

Actually thinking of Dachstein, does anyone know if its possible to get them custom made. The sizes are too wide and short for my lanky frame.
 wercat 21 Feb 2017
In reply to NigeR:

In winter I wear as few/many layers of merino or other woollen layers as I need until the wind is harsh enough to require a jacket. In summer base layer of bamboo and one or more layers of wool depending on the weather.
 stubbed 21 Feb 2017
In reply to NigeR:

Not me so much but I get my great-aunt-in-law to knit them for the children.
They choose an animal to go on it, and a colour, she knits for their birthdays & Christmas, and I get them to wear them all winter for walks or whatever. Comfortable & warm. I love wool. Husband thinks I am mad though.

Interestingly I find children's coats are not normally warm enough unless you spend a fortune on them. Or unless you shove a woolly jumper underneath.
 Rocknast 21 Feb 2017
In reply to NigeR:

Unless it's been mentioned already the link below will take u to a recent UKC base-layer comparison. Although not 100% wool the "Montane Primino 220" is a wool based blend and is highly recommended by UKC in the test.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=8705
OP NigeR 21 Feb 2017
In reply to GarethSL:
> YES!But only up north! have been using the Bergans Ulriken and a Ulvang Rav sweaters (basically the same thing) as a mid-layer for years on fieldwork. For UK hiking I think they are far too bulky and warm, as its too humid.They really come into their own if you're the type who puts on layers and doesn't take them off all day. This is fine when working as we are stop-go, stop-go, all day so never really overheat. Plus they are dead comfortable in the evening and don't melt by a fire.I see a lot wearing old woolen navy sweaters, which are also good if you don't mind the elbow pads and epaulets. Aklima also do some nice wool too!

That's one of the things I like best about wool. Put it on at the start if the day and just forget about it.

I realise science may well prove me incorrect, but I find wool not only warmer and more comfortable, but I also think it breathes better than fleece.

And then there's the fit. I find fleeces a bit boxy, whereas wool sweaters made in alpine and scandanavian regions are a really nice 'V' shape and hug the body better, meaning there's also less dead air to heat.

The Dachstein sweater is especially good here, being tight in the waist and abdomen area, but nice and roomy around the armpits - an intentional design for cross country skiing, but an added benefit being the armpits have space to vent.
Post edited at 12:34
 Toerag 21 Feb 2017
In reply to NigeR:

Being a hardcore Guernseyman I wear a proper 'Guernsey' jumper all the time - I have 3 at present. Benefits as follows:-
Knitted tightly, so fairly windproof.
Made with oiled wool, so they're actually a bit drizzle-proof and don't soak up water as much as other wools.
Made with worsted (long fibre) wool - very resistant to pulling and bobbling - they actually go shiny on the elbows.
Wool is antibacterial so they don't go smelly - I wash the one I wear daily at work once or twice a year.
No front or back - if you regularly 'rotate' them they last a very long time. Theoretically you can unravel and re-knit the sleeves when you eventually wear through the elbows, but the dye has normally faded by then and you'd notice the new wool.
Currently fashionable - Fred Perry brand genuine Guernseys and sell them.
There's quite a few places selling fake Guernseys online, the only Guernsey companies making them on-island are Guernsey Woollens and Le Tricoteur. Channel jumper make them in Alderney, but only finish them.
https://www.guernseywoollens.com/
http://www.guernseyjumpers.com/
 RX-78 21 Feb 2017
In reply to NigeR:

in answer to the post title, my 82 year old Dad, he loves his woolly jumpers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...