UKC

Putting a satellite dish on grade II listed building - advice?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SuperstarDJ 21 Feb 2017
Hi,

Long story short, about to move into a grade II listed building and want to move my Sky TV over to the new place. There's not much advice or help around on what's needed on the internet so I thought I'd throw it open to the UKC massive.

If anyone's done this I'd appreciate know what you needed to do so I can negotiate what seems to be a fairly bureaucratic process.

Thanks,

David
 Luke90 21 Feb 2017
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Could you make life easier by putting it on a pole in a garden rather than messing with the house?
 Toerag 21 Feb 2017
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Speak to the planning authority - it's far better to work with them than against them.
 subtle 21 Feb 2017
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Speak to your planning dept.

In my case we managed to site the dish at ground level and off the building with cable obviously running into the house, cable through porch extension.

There are alternatives to having a sky dish though
Removed User 21 Feb 2017
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Could you put it in the attic?
 deacondeacon 21 Feb 2017
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Could you not get all your TV viewing needs online?
 wintertree 21 Feb 2017
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Living in a conservation area I've been amazed at how many works I've seen that don't have a corresponding entry in the planning portal...

I'm in two minds about this because planning law is literally the foundation of civilisation, but our local council are bent as a 6 bob note. They're perceived to be so bent they even made Russian national news as an example of corruption. So the temptation to pull a fast one is strong. It's not like a planning violation is an offence, that only happens if you ignore an enforcement notice...

As someone wiser than me has said, work with them. Only problem is if they say "No", you're arguably in a worse spot than if you just do it. Look/ask around and see if others have them or have been reused...
Post edited at 17:11
 Timmd 21 Feb 2017
In reply to SuperstarDJ:
A quick google seems to show that you can access Sky TV online, presumably this means you don't have to have a dish (which could make life easier) ?

Post edited at 17:54
 Dax H 21 Feb 2017
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Ask the question and if they say no go with the poll in the garden.
Or go with Virgin Media if it's in the area.
Not much difference as long as you don't mind losing sky Atlantic and dealing with the worse user interface man could possibly design.
I have heard sky are going to be rolling out a dish less service soon so that might be something to look in to.
I can eat 50 eggs 21 Feb 2017
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Are you trolling?
 Fraser 21 Feb 2017
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

My advice is don't do it. They look terrible on a standard house, never mind a listed one!
 radar 21 Feb 2017
In reply to Timmd:
Sky is sort of available via the web as NowTV (set top box or app if you have the right smart TV).
Full Sky service is supposed to be available without a dish in the future. (Take up of Sky Q isn't quite what Sky wanted)
Post edited at 20:34
OP SuperstarDJ 22 Feb 2017
In reply to Luke90:

Hi,

Possibly - this is probably an option.

Thanks,

David
In reply to Toerag:

Thanks - I had a quick chat but them seem to want to know my plans and then they'll tell me if it's ok, rather than just giving me guidelines to work within. I'm keep to get it sorted with a minimum of to-ing and fro-ing.

David
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

Will look into this.

Thanks,

David
In reply to deacondeacon:

If we could get superfast broadband I'd be very keen to do this but unfortunately we can't so I don't think this will work.
In reply to Timmd:

Hi,

We'd need a quicker broadband connection than we're going to be able to get unfortunately. It is a shame.

Thanks,

David
In reply to Fraser:

Hi,

The oldest bit of the house dates from 1450 but it's had a number of extensions on it (Victorian, 1950s and 1990's garage) so is far from unspoilt. The house faces north and the dish will need to go on the back where no-one can see it and we could attach to a 20th century bit of brick so my conscience is clear!

Thanks,

David

In reply to radar:

Hi,

I would definitely do this but the broadband won't be quick enough unfortunately.

Thanks,

David
 Fraser 22 Feb 2017
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

> Hi,The oldest bit of the house dates from 1450 but it's had a number of extensions on it (Victorian, 1950s and 1990's garage) so is far from unspoilt. The house faces north and the dish will need to go on the back where no-one can see it and we could attach to a 20th century bit of brick so my conscience is clear!Thanks,David

In that case, have you checked to see if the whole building is listed? You might be in luck with what will be permitted.

OP SuperstarDJ 23 Feb 2017
In reply to Fraser:

I think we can pay to get the planning officer to visit and to walk us through the place telling us what's likely to be fine and what'll be a no-no. Luckily it seems that we'll have a fairly free hand with the 'modern' bit of the house and they're the bits we'd want to change so I think it'll be ok.
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Do you have a garden shed? Mate of mine had no other option but to build a man-cave and bolt it to that, as the house was a no-go. No a bad excuse to build a man-cave either come to think of it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...