UKC

Hand Cream

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 planetmarshall 21 Feb 2017
Just come from the bouldering wall and my hands are buggered. So, what hand cream do you use, if any?

Suggestions, mockery (I use a bottle of 'man up' etc) below.

Cheers.
 tspoon1981 21 Feb 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

MTFU juice occasionally works, failing that try https://www.bananafingers.co.uk/climb-on-1oz-bar-p-647.html
 Jenny C 21 Feb 2017
In reply to planetmarshall: Big fan of Climb On, creme is great for replacing the moisture after using chalk and bar for cuts and grazes.
 Greasy Prusiks 21 Feb 2017

I just use normal cheapo moisturiser after climbing indoors. In my opinion it helps get rid of the chalk dryness and stops my skin hurting as much, I'd definitely recommend it.

I've currently got a tube that has 'For MEN' written on it in big letters so that means my masculinity isn't threatened or something. In fact I'm pretty sure a bottle of women's moisturiser would have absolutely no effect at all. I heard it's not tough enough to work on mens skin.
 abr1966 21 Feb 2017

I'll start this by stating that I'm drinking...I'm in glencoe, I'm 52, been climbing for 35 years and the conditions are the worst I've ever seen at this time of year....the Clachaig has a lecture on, no pool table, bar not serving whilst the talk is on and I'm looking at a post about hand cream!! It's all not what it used to be...
 Fishmate 21 Feb 2017

I've been using Climbskin for a couple of years now and I've found it better than regular moisturiser for the tips and calluses. It does last well. I only use it when it seems necessary.
 Pawthos 21 Feb 2017

Aveeno cream - before and after. The stuff is like magic.

For very sore skin, up to and including grit rash, Sudocream. An oldie but a goodie!
 patsaunders 21 Feb 2017
Climbskin is a great hand cream and is not wax based so absorbs super quick.
Post edited at 20:15
 cwarby 22 Feb 2017

Lotil. I have to wash my hands at work a lot with a scrub wash, making the dryness worse. This works.
Chris
 AlanLittle 22 Feb 2017

I'm using Climb On at the moment, because samples were being given away at a bouldering competition I went to with my son. It's good stuff and I have in fact paid money for it in the past, but I won't be needing to do that again for a while now.

An Australian acquaintance told me climbing walls there have hand cream dispensers in the changing rooms.
 Oliver Houston 23 Feb 2017

Anything will work, vaseline/sudocreme will help, but I'd only use them just before bed (to avoid greasing up everything I touch). I like nivea soft during the day (my wife has loads).

Climb on is great, the UK made probalm also works, but I find probalm stings if used on snotty nose rash/open scrapes (climbon doesn't for some reason).

Skincare places sometimes sell a climbon type substance for a lot less than climbon (about half price by weight).
Apparently pink razors for women cost far more than completely identical blue razors for men because women are willing to pay a premium for the 'lady' branding. I think the same thing is happening in reverse for hand cream - if you label it 'Climb-' so it looks macho guys will pay 3 or 4 times as much for something that's no better than the product for the much larger female market.

The Neutrogena Norwegian Formula is perfect because 'Norwegian' is nearly as macho an adjective as 'Climb', it works great and I can nick it off my wife.

http://www.boots.com/neutrogena-norwegian-formula-concentrated-hand-cream-u...
Post edited at 11:41
Rigid Raider 23 Feb 2017

Since hand cream and body lotion is nothing more than oil and water mixed with an emulsifier and some preservatives, you might as well cut straight to the chase and get some shea butter, which is 100% natural and absolutely amazing on dry and cracked skin.
 DamonRoberts 23 Feb 2017
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

I was putting some Norwegian Formula Hand and Nail stuff on whilst reading your post. Managed to rip a hole in the middle of one of my fingernails a while ago and this stuff seemed to stop it hurting and make it start working like a fingernail again pretty well. Palmers Cocoa Butter is also very good, and smells great to boot.

Si_G 23 Feb 2017

Properly destroyed my hands with rope burns (don't ask) and the nurse changing my dressings suggested Vaseline 3x daily for the new skin.
Vaseline is greasy and takes forever to absorb. I got fed up, and reverted to Climb On.

Hands coming on brilliantly. Nurse amazed at my progress.
Climb On is solid, easy to apply, absorbs quickly, doesn't leave my hands greasy.
I'm a big fan.
 MischaHY 23 Feb 2017

My girlfriend and I made our own hand balm, it's pretty basic. Beeswax, vitamin E, Shea Butter, Lavender Oil, and possibly a few other bits melted in a saucepan and then set in egg cups. We got the equivalent of 7 bars of Climb On for about 17 euro.
 slab_happy 24 Feb 2017
In reply to MischaHY:

Yeah, I do a very similar thing: beeswax, shea butter, and some olive oil (for a slightly softer texture than the Climb On), plus some essential oils -- equal parts of tea tree, clove and myrrh makes it mildly antiseptic and analgesic, and actually seems to speed up skin healing if I've been shredding my hands on gritstone.

However, since no-one's mentioned it on this thread yet: I've also had good results from the time-honoured bouldering secret that is Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream. It's very popular with polar expeditions, including for use on sled dogs' paws; I mention this in case it helps up the ruggedness enough for people to brave the cosmetics counter. *g*
 iccle_bully 24 Feb 2017

If you are looking to ease dry skin then any moisturiser will do the trick. If you have damaged/sore skin then Elizabeth Arden 8 hour creme can't be beaten. I've had days out in font and trashed my skin, a dose of that overnight and I've been able to climb no problems the next day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...