UKC

Climbing Wall in Watford

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jesus_C 21 Feb 2017
Hi!

Where do the climbers based in Watford go climbing indoors??

The only wall nearby is this one in the Leisure Centre and it doesn´´'t seem suitable for non-beginners

https://www.everyoneactive.com/centre/watford-leisure-centre-central/

Any other wall is miles away!

Any idea? Has anyone tried that wall in the Leisure Centre?

Cheers!

In reply to Jesus_C:

There was one in Amersham, in the space I learnt to swim in!
 ianstevens 27 Feb 2017
In reply to Alastair Hudson:

Also one in Hemel (routes and problems of varying quality) and many in London.
OP Jesus_C 27 Feb 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Thanks for your replies.

I knew the one in Amersham but it's not really accessible for me as I don't have car :__(

Ianstevens, Which one is the one in Hemel that you mentioned? THE ARCH NORTH ?

Thanks
 alexcollins123 27 Feb 2017
In reply to Jesus_C:

It's the XC - http://www.thexc.co.uk/ Not climbed there myself, but been in and it's open at one end, so can be cold.
 JJL 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Jesus_C:

> Hi!Where do the climbers based in Watford go climbing indoors??The only wall nearby is this one in the Leisure Centre and it doesn´´'t seem suitable for non-beginnershttps://www.everyoneactive.com/centre/watford-leisure-centre-central/Any other wall is miles away!Any idea? Has anyone tried that wall in the Leisure Centre?Cheers!

Yes, been there. It's ok for a few trips, but I didn't go long enough to find whether or not they *ever* change the routes. Why not just try it?
 spartacus 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Jesus_C:

Watford is OK for odd couple of hours. It has a great features only layback up a flake in the middle of the wall, ( until it gets too polished!)
 Neil Williams 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Jesus_C:

London? Only 20 minutes on the train plus a Tube ride to whichever one you pick.

Bit expensive though I suppose.
OP Jesus_C 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Jesus_C:

Thanks all for your replies.

It seems you need a partner to go to the one in Watford, that Leisure Center. It's not like drop in center. I might try to find some to go. Someone up for it?

I might try the one in Hemel. Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure how easy it's to get there.

London is an option even when it's a bit far. I would like to have something closer to go more regularly. I've been a few times to the West Way Climbing Center. Amazing place but it's a bit far from Watford.

It would be great having something in Watford even just a small bouldering room :_(
 fatbuoybazza 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Jesus_C:

There's a wall in St Albans(search for Westmisnter Lodge) which isn't too far away and fairly easy to get to from Watford by bus or the Abbey train line from Watford Junction station. The Hertfordshire Mountaineering Club climbers usually meet there on a Tuesday and they sometimes also go to Hatfield Climbing wall in the University campus, that's maybe a bit more awkward to get to from Watford on public transport. It's worth giving someone from the club an email to find out which days they are going where, I haven't been active in the club for a couple of years due to other commitments so I don't exactly know when and where they go each week, but they're a friendly bunch.
OP Jesus_C 06 Mar 2017
In reply to fatbuoybazza:

OK, I will give a go that one in ST Albans and I will contact the Hertfordshire Mountaineering Club. Many thanks for your comments!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...