UKC

Twll Mawr - unexplored tunnel?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
At the bottom of Twll Mawr south wall, immediately left of the start of Supermassive Back Hole is a body sized hole with a heck of a draft coming out of it. Has this been explored? I can't find anything online.
 ianstevens 22 Feb 2017
In reply to A Random Climber:

Goes through to the top of Rainbow I think
In reply to ianstevens:

Cheers. Not sure you're thinking of the right area though mate. The two areas have vastly differing altitude, distance and aspects.
 MischaHY 22 Feb 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

That would be deeply impressive!
 ianstevens 22 Feb 2017

The bottom of Twll Mawr and the very top level of rainbow walls are roughly the same elevation no? Sure I've gone through a mystery tunnel at the top of the latter and appeared in the former. If it was rainbow slab then I would be very impressed...
In reply to ianstevens:
Sorry. I assumed you were meaning the Slab.
Yes that would be feasable as looking on satellite images there look to be a couple of bays in that area. Worth an explore?
https://zoom.earth/#53.119979,-4.098369,18z,map
Post edited at 11:36
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/Dinorwig_quarry.jpg

Directly above the white arch of the power station buildings on the top level of rainbow walls - 2 tunnel openings which appear to be ?100m to the right of the 'Watford Gap arĂȘte at the right height?
Post edited at 17:17
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

The eyes of the skull? Too high Ron. A hidden entrance somewhere around the top of the Rainbow Walls seems the most plausable.

Sl@te Head 27 Feb 2017

As far as I know this was the tunnel which Joe Brown used to enter Twll Mawr for his first exploration, I know the tunnel you mean and have tried to squeeze in to it but bottled it! I have also heard it was deliberately blocked off, it would be great to open it up again. Let us all know how you get on.....
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Yes that would make perfect sense Ian. It certainly isn't totally sealed as there was a proper hurricane blowing out of it, thanks to the beginings of Storm Doris. I'm back there later this week so I'll check it out further - fingers crossed. I'll say I'll go down it... but that's easy to say from behind a keyboard!
 MischaHY 09 Mar 2017

So, did you get down it?
 MJAngry 09 Mar 2017
In reply to MischaHY:

Or back out??
 Sl@te Head 09 Mar 2017
In reply to MischaHY:

Worryingly, he's not posted on here since the 27th Feb.....
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Still alive! As it happens I'm sat on the main road with a pair of binoculars squinting through the drizzle and just trying to figure stuff out. There must be an entrance but I'm a bit worried it may be on the Hydro property - they seem to be doing a lot of work around the Trango Tower at the moment and I wouldn't want to start treading on toes.
I was up in Twll Mawr yesterday on Lethal Injection but got rained off it. I'm guessing I should've taken the opportunity to check the hole out then but we bolted to the Caban instead... Inexcusable, I know...
In reply to Sl@te Head:

The Arse of Twll Mawr

Found it! It dried up, so I made an educated guess as to the depth of the hole and followed my nose. I'm 99% sure this is the tunnel that pops out of the small hole by the start of Supermassive...

However, being on my own without a head torch I didn't fancy going in. Anyone?

Email me and I'll give specific directions and pics.

And... yesterday I went off to confirm the tunnel was infact the Arse Hole of Twll Mawr.
Torches on, we quested a hundred metres into the mountain moving though an old wooden doorway in the eerie light-green slate tunnel. We were met by an area of purple slate scree material baring the way. Our day was done - the bottom entrance into Twll Mawr was blocked.

Or so we thought...

Returning to the light, we noticed a clump of silver birch on the level above. A loose and tricky scree scramble took us there only to find a hidden tunnel behind the trees. Was this it? A similar distance to the last tunnel and we were met by another wall of purple slate consistant with the stuff at the bottom of Twll Mawr... only this time there was a tiny hole and light. We'd found it. Caving-style moves on my back, arms through first, scratching my new soft-shell and wiggling my shoulders past the Shelob sized spiders I was born into the pit and I stared up blinking at the line of Supermassive Black Hole.

We'd cracked it: the Arse Hole of Twll Mawr had been entered. Those over 13st need not apply.

Interesting to note that the dead-end tunnel entrance was 13m lower than the start of Supermassive Black Hole proving that there is at least that depth of scree in the very bottom of Twll Mawr. I wander what else lies below?

Sl@te Head 24 Mar 2017

Well done

Did you return back the same way? Is it safe to enter from the bottom of Supermassive Black Hole?
 MischaHY 24 Mar 2017

Fantastic psyche skills! Love hearing stuff like this. Would be really interesting to know what else is around underneath all that scree. Are there any other documented entrances on lower levels?
In reply to Sl@te Head:

We exited Twll Mawr out of the normal tunnel as it was going dark and we didn't fancy a scramble back down the levels. Yes, it'd be a feet first arms above the head job but otherwise exiting Twll Mawr through the hole would be okay I guess!!
In reply to MischaHY:

It would be worth a further explore for sure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...