UKC

Touring tyres for Annapurna?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 22 Feb 2017
Converting my mountain bike (26" wheels, non-tubeless) into a lightweight touring setup for a trip to Annapurna and wondering what tyres would be best.

I think I need a bit more intermediate tread than something like Schwalbe Marathons, but not full on knobblies, as it will be a mix of surfaces.

I have a set of steel-beaded Hutchinson Pythons which originally came with the bike and get used in the summer when it's dry - I'm thinking a newer version of these might be along the right lines.

Recommendations, please - especially from anyone that's been there and knows what to expect.

Thanks in advance.
Andy4 22 Feb 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I raced out there a few years back, found the Conti mountain kings excellent, no punctures, excellent grip good wear.Slight drag on the small amounts of Tarmac.
 TobyA 22 Feb 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:
Marathon tour plus? More grip than regular marathon plus, but a bit heavier. Years ago I hiked to Annapurna Sanctuary, can't remember much terrain being rideable except for real techy mountain biking? Where are you going? Anyway I've used the marathon tour plus bikepacking off road with success, no idea if that terrain us similar though. http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/bikepacking-around-peak-dis...
Post edited at 18:24
OP LastBoyScout 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Andy4:

Good point about Conti - I hadn't thought about them. Just remembered I've got a Vapor buried in the garage, which was bought as a fast-ish rolling tyre, but I haven't really used it much. Will have another look at their range.
OP LastBoyScout 24 Feb 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Planning a loop of the Annapurna circuit. Think there's a bit of carrying involved, but most of it is, apparently, rideable.

Having had a look, I quite like the look of the Plus MTB or the GT 365 versions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...