UKC

Has anyone used the Edelrid HMS Strike Slider Karabiner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Walton 23 Feb 2017
Basically what it says in the subject.

Has anyone used one?
What is the mechanism like is it smooth?
Do you think it's suseptable to grit/ice general dirt getting in it?

Would you use it in preference to a twist lock?
 AlanLittle 23 Feb 2017
In reply to Jim Walton:

Not that particular model, but I have a quickdraw with Pure Slider krabs for those "only one bolt between me and badness" situations.

For that purpose they're great, but for a belay krab ...

> Would you use it in preference to a twist lock?

... definitely not, too easy to open.
 GridNorth 23 Feb 2017
In reply to Jim Walton:

I have one as well as the normal slide lock krab. The former is sat in the cupboard, hardly used, the latter is used all the time on sports routes in combination with a screwgate for situations where I am unsure about the direction I will be going after clipping.

Al
In reply to Jim Walton:
I had a student using one on the advanced ropework and rescues course I ran last weekend. Their comments were that they liked it but they were probably not going to keep it as their belay krab as it was slightly too easy to open.

Unfortunately, a missed opportunity on my part to actually play with one...

FWIW, I've recent experience of using Petzl Twistlock, DMM Locksafe, BD Magnetron and Grivel Twingate krabs. I no longer use the DMM one, the mechanism wore too quickly and my preference would be for the later two over any twistlock or triple lock design.

For Summer use I can't rate the BD ones highly enough. I also use them in Winter (50+ days) and still like them but very occasionally I've had to remove gloves to operate them when they've started to freeze shut although they probably aren't any worse than normal screwgates.

The Grivel Twingate design is definitely more Winter friendly and I could see me replacing a few more of my standard 'D' screwgates with the Grivel ones.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing if anyone else has some more definitive feedback on the Edelrid one.
 EddInaBox 23 Feb 2017
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

In what way did the mechanism wear on the DMM Locksafe, I've used a Boa Locksafe as my belay krab for something like ten years now, there's a tiny bit of lateral play in the collar when it is closed (could well have been like that when it was new though) but no signs of significant wear.
OP Jim Walton 23 Feb 2017

I'm looking to use it on my adjustable lanyard/cows tail. The main issue you can sometimes have with a twist lock is they can be a bugger to open left-handed.

That's why I'm interested in the Edlerid Strike Slider FG as it looks (via the internet anyway) as it looks like a solution.
In reply to EddInaBox:
The gate gets hung up and doesn't close and lock automatically if closed slowly. Also the mechanism got fairly dirty and sticky a couple of times over the years and is then really hard to properly clean and lubricate.

Currently feel the BD Magnetron is the better option, however I've only put one through two years of wear compared with 3-5 for the Locksafe. Although I'd still pick my old Sentinel Locksafe over a normal screwgate if I was going to be abseiling a dozen plus pitch route.
 drgrange 23 Feb 2017
In reply to Jim Walton:

Hi Jim,

I use a Edelrid Strike Slider FG and quite like it. I've used if for about a year on sport, trad and ice.
It is starting to get a bit stiff so should probably add a bit of WD.
I find the mechanism inspires confidence, although some of my climbing partners aren't as keen.
I also have an extender with a screwgate at one end and a Pure Slider at the other.
I'll probably buy more Pure Sliders in the future

Cheers
In reply to Jim Walton:
I use a BD Gridlock Magnetron with my Beal Dynaconnexion lanyard which is just about perfect, unfortunately it's not compatible with a Kong Slyde and neither are my Grivel Twingates.

The Slider FG does indeed LOOK a decent option.
 Gavin 23 Feb 2017
I used one of the Edelrid slider krabs when they first came out, partnered with a mega-jul.

I found the mechanism fiddly, and prone to dirt ingress. On mine the slide is quite low profile and I wouldn't be confident in using mine with gloves, though I think the design changed slightly so it's now raised a bit more?

I swapped mine out for a regular strike screwgate to work with the mega-jul and it now sits on my 'spares' rack.

I tried the BD magnetrons and, other than picking up bits of magnetic grit which was easy to spot and clean, they were OK to use.

Gavin
Post edited at 15:05
 David Barlow 23 Feb 2017
In reply to Jim Walton:
I've been using a non-HMS one for about 18 months on my PAS. It works great, **except** in icy conditions when I've twice had it fail to open due it to icing up in a closed position. I've then had to attack it with other metalwork to make it open, and similarly to persuade the slider to slide shut afterwards. So I'm no longer using it these conditions.

It's great for protecting a first/crucial clip on sports routes though, as stated above.
Post edited at 16:01
 GridNorth 23 Feb 2017
In reply to David Barlow:

> It's great for protecting a first/crucial clip on sports routes though, as stated above.

I'm not too sure about the reasoning behind that. I use one with a screwgate on the other end for situations where the bolt may be up to the right but the holds are forcing me left type situations.

Al

David Barlow 23 Feb 2017
In reply to GridNorth:

It's just a more convenient alternative to a screwgate since it automatically locks.
 GridNorth 23 Feb 2017
In reply to David Barlow:

No what I meant was that I didn't fully understand the reasoning behind using locking krabs of any description on the first bolt. I use as Slider with a screwgate on the other end in the manner I described.

Al
 TobyA 23 Feb 2017
In reply to Jim Walton:
Yep, I've had the strike slider FG for two years. Good, lightweight and easy to use. I also have a bunch of the Pure sliders that I use for belay building, on slings and the like.

I was using the winter climbing a couple of weeks back https://flic.kr/p/R9VsXz a number of them got quite sticky after that. I washed them and put a bit of GT85 on them and they seem to be back to normal now. I have used them winter climbing before, so it was odd. But they may have just been a bit dirtier this time being older.

Couple more pics of my strike in use with the mega jul in this review https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6739
Post edited at 22:11
 JohnBson 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Jim Walton:

I use it as my belay krab. It's good with the mega jul device as it's got the correct radius. It doesn't twist and is easy to clip on, better than other anti crossloading krabs. The slide is easy to use and I can't see a rope creating the action required to undo it any more than the rope undoing a screw gate. Mine has had 3 years of hard use and is becoming slightly sticky. I'm going to oil it up and I expect it to loosen. It's never iced up on me even in poor conditions and I think it's a good krab.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...