UKC

Music you have come to via film...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Valentine 24 Feb 2017
I watched a film on BBC i player yesterday called "Phoenix".
At the end a woman sang a song which I have never heard called "Speak Low". Brilliant.
Checking it out on You Tube it seems that a sizeable number of people have first heard the song in that film, yet it is something of a classic.
I was wondering if any other UKC people have first been introduced to songs or composers by way of a particular film...

Here's three from my experience:
Richard Strauss "Four Last Songs " from"The Year of Living Dangerously"
Erik Satie "Gnossienne # 1" from "The Painted Veil"
Arthur Sullivan "The Long Day Closes" from the Terence Davies film of that name.

Lusk 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Rammstein from Lost Highway. 1997.
 aln 24 Feb 2017

I've come to a few films over the years..
 DerwentDiluted 24 Feb 2017

Ry Cooder from Southern Comfort
 Rampikino 24 Feb 2017

Lots of Michael Nyman - he is fairly prolific and has done soundtracks for various films.
 LittleRob 24 Feb 2017

My daughter has started learning (2 days ago) this youtube.com/watch?v=NvryolGa19A& from the film Amelie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0211915/
 Hat Dude 24 Feb 2017
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> Ry Cooder from Southern Comfort

Ry Cooder from Paris Texas

Also Sanctus from The Missa Luba in If

youtube.com/watch?v=jIxEPYkXkU8&
 DaveHK 24 Feb 2017

I came to Townes van Zandt and Captain Beefheart via the Big Lebowski soundtrack.
 Blue Straggler 24 Feb 2017

I imagine this is very common even if we discount specific film music composers such as Nyman, Glass and Morricone.

So many films are strongly based around a songtrack or have key scenes where a piece of music drives the scene (e.g. Arvo Part's Fratres in "There Will Be Blood")

But playing along:
Jane Siberry "Calling All Angels" from "Until the End of the World"
Bob Dylan "You Belong to Me" from "Natural Born Killers"

and I know it's been used so often that it's virtually a trope but I have (to my shame) not yet seen Gallipoli, although I do know the famous piece of music....but in film it really hit home just recently with its masterful and somehow non-cliche use in Manchester by the Sea. Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor.

If you want something a bit more offbeat, I'll go with Bach's Choral Prelude in F Minor as used in Tarkovsky's Solaris :-D

I think this thread will get a lot of Samuel Barber responses.
 DerwentDiluted 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I think this thread will get a lot of Samuel Barber responses.

Aye, forgot that one.

Chris the Tall 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Rampikino:

The music, along with the cinematography, were always the highlight of a Peter Greenaway film - the storylines were usually just pretentious nonsense
 Chris the Tall 24 Feb 2017
In reply to LittleRob:

> youtube.com/watch?v=NvryolGa19A& from the film Amelie

Beautiful, but I always get it muddled up with this youtube.com/watch?v=Xo9G9C6KvCE& from the Piano (Micheal Nyman)

Dave Garnett 24 Feb 2017

It's sad when you start picking up music from adverts and films - I really should listen to the radio more...

Eddie Vedder: 'Hard Sun' and 'Guaranteed' from 'Into the Wild'
Charles Trenet: 'Boum!' from 'Skyfall'
Jay Z / Frank Ocean / Phil Manzanera: 'No Church in the Wild' off a trailer for Ripper Street
The Heavy: 'How you like me now?': practically everywhere!
Emilíana Torrini: 'Gollum's Song': Two Towers

nufkin 24 Feb 2017

College, from the end of 'Drive'
 james.slater 24 Feb 2017

Lord Huron from A Walk in the Woods
 Blue Straggler 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Emilíana Torrini: 'Gollum's Song': Two Towers

Great, I silently predicted and hoped someone would mention this one early; I used to be quite a Torrini fan (have got bored of her now) before those films and I was really happy when it was announced that she would get the end credits song on that film given that they had gone with the much more globally famous and obvious Enya first time round (and they again went with a superstar on the third film).
Shame it didn't magically make Torrini a global superstar and people mostly remember Samwise's song (fair enough) rather than hers!

Dave Garnett 24 Feb 2017

> Shame it didn't magically make Torrini a global superstar and people mostly remember Samwise's song (fair enough) rather than hers!

It's a stunning song with a nice video on the film DVD. Neil Finn's song from the end of the Hobbit is pretty good too.
 Mooncat 24 Feb 2017

Bonny Prince Billy from Dead Man's Shoes. I was aware of him before I saw the film but the use of the music in Dead Man's shoes just worked so well.
OP Tom Valentine 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I dont find it sad at all, rather, one of the bonuses of watching a good film.
As for radio , if you can find me a station which would play the three pieces of music I mentioned, along with Mina "Esperame en el cielo, ", Celia Cruz " Te Busco" and Jeff Buckley's "Lilac Wine" I would have it switched on all day.
Perhaps a radio station only featuring film music?
 Chris Harris 24 Feb 2017

Ennio Morricone. Spaghetti Westerns. Utter brilliance.

Big Ger 24 Feb 2017

Wilhelmenia Wiggins Fernandez: aria from "La Wally" from "Diva"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2w9g3z
Removed User 24 Feb 2017

Balkan music and Cesaria Evora from Underground (which is my favourite ever film by miles)
youtube.com/watch?v=iKdl5r7_ZPc&

Circle Jerks and Black Flag from Repo Man

Ry Cooder from Paris Texas

Padraig 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:
Ry Cooder ..

I know it's OFF topic BUT ...the first time I heard Ry Cooder was on the "Old Grey Whistle Test" Circa 1979?
Ry sang "Sweet little sister" I will NEVER forget it! It was a Friday nite.
Unfortunately, the next day, when I went down to the "record store" ..I thought the "group" was called "Barracudda". I blame "whispering" Bob Harris for this mistake!
Luckily, the record store guy.... think Jack Black & "Hi Fidilety" had seen the OGWT the nite before and knew what I meant...

The rest as they say.....
Post edited at 00:02
 peebles boy 25 Feb 2017

The Walter Mitty soundtrack has some brilliant songs, some you'll know and (probably) some you won't.

CockNBullkid - Yellow. Cannot for the life of me remember what film it's from though!

As above, Eddie Vedder from the Into the Wild soundtrack (in his own right, as opposed to with Pearl Jam)
OP Tom Valentine 25 Feb 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

This is what I mean. Never heard of the opera but your film clip led me to the Callas version and I am so thrilled to have heard it.
 Dave Garnett 25 Feb 2017

> I dont find it sad at all, rather, one of the bonuses of watching a good film.

Yes, but I guess I'm remembering a time when I would have heard these things as they came out and would have known who the artists were.

Still, I find many fine things through Shazaming adverts and just have to accept I'm a couple of years behind the curve rather than 6 months ahead of it. At least I'm not one of those people with nothing recorded since 1985 on my iPod, although there is a worrying amount of that too.

buzby 25 Feb 2017

dire straits via local hero.
 steveriley 25 Feb 2017

Michael Nyman from Greenaway. Olafur Arnold's via Broadchurch. Nick Cave/Warren Ellis I'm already a fan of but the scores for the Proposition, Road, Jesse James, etc are great. Morricone of course. Strauss/Zarathustra is hard to separate from Kubrick's 2001.
 David Alcock 25 Feb 2017
What a lovely question. For me, without doubt, must be Tarkovsky's Offret (The Sacrifice). I didn't know Bach's St Matthew Passion at the time, and Erbaume Me at the beginning was a revelation. Not only that, but shakuhachi flute-playing, especially Watzumi Dozo. And as a bonus, it made me look deeper into Leonardo's Adoration of the Magi.

Edit, full film here: youtube.com/watch?v=w-vNOfr2Aec&
Post edited at 12:05
OP Tom Valentine 25 Feb 2017
In reply to David Alcock:

I actually thought that the Convento di Sant'Anna theme from The English Patient was one of the Goldberg variations.
Just shows what a talented musician Gabriel Yared is!
 Jon Stewart 25 Feb 2017

The theme from The Lobster is this amazing Adagio:

youtube.com/watch?v=fncWhOANoCc&

The whole thing, of course, is pretty damn good.
 Blue Straggler 27 Feb 2017
In reply to steveriley:

> Strauss/Zarathustra is hard to separate from Kubrick's 2001.

If you'd like to separate Blue Danube Waltz from 2001, watch The Wages of Fear.

Zarathustra I can't help with

In reply to Padraig:

> Unfortunately, the next day, when I went down to the "record store" ..I thought the "group" was called "Barracudda".

OFF off topic but 6Music at the time that I type this is playing a song called Barracuda. It's not very good. I am guessing 1984 or so...let's see....Oh I'll have to look it up, they didn't announce it after
 toddles 27 Feb 2017

I got into listening to Tom Waits after watching Streetwise documentary 1984

youtube.com/watch?v=VYx-nQtbzhA&
 full stottie 27 Feb 2017

Not film but the UK TV series Wallander with Kenneth Branagh, despite not being as good as the Swedish series introduced me to the music of Emily Barker and the Red Clay Halo, whose Nostalgia was the theme tune.

https://emilybarker.bandcamp.com/album/despite-the-snow

There was a short video on UKC a few years ago of a female climber (Croatian? Serbian?) on a steep sports route that was accompanied by a piece called Simonida by Sanja Ilic and Balkanika - an unusual choice of soundtrack for a climbing film I thought and I went on to find that music and enjoy it.

https://www.shazam.com/track/68442915/simonida
In reply to Big Ger:

Yes, thanks!
 Big Ger 27 Feb 2017
No worries, I always had .... thoughts...... about Ann and Nancy Wilson.

Here's modern take on it, Heart with "fergie".

youtube.com/watch?v=yWAqVQQ0Doo&
Post edited at 23:00

> If you'd like to separate Blue Danube Waltz from 2001, watch The Wages of Fear. Zarathustra I can't help with

I'm fascinated by your bizarre response here that you 'can't help with Zarathustra'. I've no idea what you mean, because on the bald face of it, it can't be true.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
It's remarkably simple.
Someone said they can't separate Strauss/Zarathustra from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
On the Strauss aspect, I suggested that at least by watching a different film which uses The Blue Danube Waltz effectively and which was released well over a decade before 2001: A Space Odyssey, they could separate that piece of music from the film.
However I could not think, on the spur of the moment, of some method to enable that person to separate Also Sprach Zarathustra from the film.

I don't really understand your comment because it doesn't make much sense at all and indicates an inability to have comprehended any of the post that you are responding to. I admit "Zarathustra I can't help with" is poor grammar etc. but as a follow-on from the previous suggestion, it makes sense in context. I don't believe that you are "fascinated".

This is the sort of thing that made me stop posting entirely for a year, and post only extremely infrequently for a year subsequent to that.
I would say "it might be time for me to go on hiatus again already" but unlike a lot of people, I'm not one to repeatedly flounce off and make a lot of noise doing so, only to post again about 3 days later.
Post edited at 00:08
In reply to Big Ger:

> No worries, I always had .... thoughts...... about Ann and Nancy Wilson.

I was born a bit too late to appreciate their prime period. "Alone" with its big hair, shoulder pads and that awful 80s "power drum" sound, was my entry point, and it was all too cheesy :-o

steveriley 27 Feb 2017
A someone writes: I got you alright. I haven't seen Wages of Fear but looks interesting, I quite like Yves Montand and as an aside the kind of film you'd be unlikely to bump into on telly. In a time when everything is available we still seem to get a restricted diet. Gordon I like too, an interesting ukc-er to be sure. There, let's all be friends.
 Blue Straggler 28 Feb 2017
In reply to steveriley:

Sorry I forgot your name and was too lazy to click back.

> I don't really understand your comment because it doesn't make much sense at all and indicates an inability to have comprehended any of the post that you are responding to.

Oh dear. I didn't understand your point (as you say!) And still don't. I can see exactly what you mean about the Blue D, but don't know what you're getting at with Zarathustra! You're now attacking me for being baffled by your question.

>I admit "Zarathustra I can't help with" is poor grammar etc. but as a follow-on from the previous suggestion, it makes sense in context. I don't believe that you are "fascinated".

I was fascinated in the sense of baffled/interested etc. .. I simply didn't understand what you meant. It seems now that all you meant was 'I can't help you associate A S Z with anything else but Kubrick's 2001.' I'm sorry; I misunderstood you. Thought you were suggesting something more esoteric.

Big Ger 28 Feb 2017

> "Alone" with its big hair, shoulder pads and that awful 80s "power drum" sound, was my entry point, and it was all too cheesy :-o

Very much so, the first two albums, Dreamboat Annie (1976) & Little Queen (1977,) were well worth a listen though.

> You're now attacking me for being baffled by your question.

> I simply didn't understand what you meant.

Hi Gordon. It was this bit that threw me: "on the bald face of it, it can't be true."
OK we've cleared it all up now, thanks (I even gave you a "like"), but I am "fascinated" about what it was that couldn't have been true!
Post edited at 09:24

Yes, it was very late at night and I misunderstood you. I didn't know what you meant about not being able to 'help with Zarathustra'. It sounded as if you meant you didn't know anything about Z, which seemed very odd. Because I was sure you must know a lot about it. Anyhow, let's move on! Cheers.
> Because I was sure you must know a lot about it. Anyhow, let's move on! Cheers.

It's the one with the big brass and drums right? That would be the full extent of my knowledge.

Post edited at 09:51
 MonkeyPuzzle 28 Feb 2017

The Crow soundtrack was the big one from my formative years. I was already a fan of Rollins Band, NIN and Rage etc., but I'd not heard Violent Femmes, The Jesus and Mary Chain or Helmet before. Still love that album.

That's right Daa! - Daa! - Daa! - DAH!!!-DUMM!!!!! ... Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. .... Daa - Daa! - Daa ! etc ... ...
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

That is a good songtrack. Also Medicine and Machines of Loving Grace iirc.

And maybe a few industrial/goth fans discovered Jane Siberry via that soundtrack.
 AllanMac 28 Feb 2017
Gustavo Santaolalla: "Iguazu", from "Babel "

youtube.com/watch?v=mDoh_WfL44s&

youtube.com/watch?v=uvdzavGmZww&

Edited to add links
Post edited at 14:38
 Mikkel 01 Mar 2017

It was Natural Born Killers that got me listening to Leonard Cohen
 Mark Edwards 01 Mar 2017

Watched Watchmen for the first time and didn’t like it, but the soundtrack?
Subsequent watching, better. But the soundtrack? Yes.

Another favourite is the soundtrack of Good Morning Vietnam.
 Dave B 01 Mar 2017

I've just seen 'sing'...
 HansStuttgart 01 Mar 2017

Nice topic

Glass, Koyaanisqatsi
Preisner, Trois couleur bleu
Vangelis, Bladerunner
Part, Heaven
Kenji Kawai, Avalon & innocence
Yoko Kanno, Escaflowne
Rachmaninov III, Shine

And for music which is forever linked to movie scenes:
Ride of the Valkyries, Apocalypse Now
 OMR 02 Mar 2017

Piano Red (aka Speckled Red, Dr Feelgood and many other names) via an old black and white film I don't remember the name of. He just appeared as the piano player in the background to a few of the scenes, but got a credit at the end, which was how I knew his 'name'. I was just about 12 or so, but loved the music. Took many years before I tracked down some by him, but it was responsible for introducing me to the blues, which for may years ate up almost all my wages.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...