UKC

Office goes belly-up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 24 Feb 2017
UKC - my first port of sensible call

Switched on my Mac today & Microsoft Office would not let me access Word docs or Powerpoint. Said I needed to enter my product key again. Of course, that's long forgotten...resulting in a painful attempt to respond to all the questions required from Microsoft (other M'soft products, details of last transactions etc). Essentially, I think I'm stuck & will probably have to buy another set of kit.

Any clues/advice (apart from the obvious) for an IT antediluvian like me?

Have a good w/e

Cheers
 balmybaldwin 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

where did you get it? was it oem software?
 markAut 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Have you tried a key recovery tool such as Mac product key finder?

Free one may work for you. No experience of it unfortunately as I'm windows and Linux.
OP Greenbanks 24 Feb 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

It came with the Powerbook. 2.5 years ago, so packaging is now well gone
OP Greenbanks 25 Feb 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

If I do decide to buy another copy of Word, will loading this over- write the existing version for which I don't have the product key?
Also - not sure how to get rid of a redundant Word programme from the Mac - would I need the product key to do that?
Thanks for this & advice so far
In reply to Greenbanks:
To uninstall:

Go to the Applications folder and find the office apps. Dump them in Trash. Then on the Finder menu bar, click Finder, then click "Secure Empty Trash", it will ask you if you're sure you want to erase the Trash, click confirm and it'll will be gone in a few seconds. Be warned, everything that is in Trash will be lost forever.
Post edited at 10:23
 hang_about 25 Feb 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

That's odd - my work machine did that yesterday. Re-activated it and the problem disappeared, but I did re-enter the key. I wonder if there was a glitch on MS servers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...